Gibson Brands Forums

Tom murphy aged

Hacks

Can anyone one out there give me an idea of what price I am likely to pay for a Tom Murphy aged les paul goldtop?

Not the price from Gibson but a realistic shop price when you go in with $$$$$$.

Thanks

Or, you know, you could just play it and age it yourself ... :-

The whole "aged guitar" thing to me is a bit like needing a certain work experience on your resume, but instead of gaining the experience on your own, you ask your Dad to go out and do the work so you can slap it on your resume ... it's nothing more than a form of fraud and deceit. Don't pose ... play!

First thing I thought of was...

Put you LP in the trunk of your car in -30 winter with out the case for about 2hrs; then quickly run into the house and set it by the fireplace to warm up..

Aged quickly and cheaply...

(not that I would recommend this... BTW)

I'm not a fan of artificial aging but you guys don't have to knock it. Some people like it' date=' that's just the way it is.

...and sometimes you don't have a choice, like the official '50th anniversary R8s. All 200 were aged.[/quote']

I didn't know the An-R8's were aged - I learn something new every day on this Forum!

I've said it before but I'll say it again anyhow : Last December I saw, in the window of a main London Guitar dealer (both genuine vintage and modern) the most beautiful LP I've ever seen in my life. It wasn't show-carded and the shop was closed. I went to Scotland for Xmas and when I returned to London it was sold. I didn't have the heart to go in and ask as the reply might have been depressing. It could easily have been a real 1959 Standard; mild-flame, very weather-checked, faded dark-burst and a non-book-matched top. Equally, it could have been an aged R9.

I neither know nor care whether it was real ageing or Murphy ageing. To this day it remains the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen.

I'm not a fan of artificial aging but you guys don't have to knock it. Some people like it' date=' that's just the way it is.

...and sometimes you don't have a choice, like the official '50th anniversary R8s. All 200 were aged.[/quote']

Uh-oh ... have I stuck a bad nerve? Perhaps you have done a bit of fibbing on your resume and take my comment as an attack? Either way, I'm sorry if I have offended YOU with my comment. Besides, I've seen you disagree and respond to others in a similar way on a number of occasions (such as your many comments that anything short of a historic model is a waste and essentially a cheap & inferior guitar), so with all due respect, you're not exactly in a position to call people out for having their own opinions.

So, you don't buy pre-washed jeans, then. Everybody with a comfortable pair is a poser? fraud?

Distressed furniture, that's not country-chique it's just fake?

Only a veteran pilot is supposed to wear a faded bomber jacket?

Aging guitars isn't my thing, doesnt' float my boat. But people are paying good money for them so it's got to be valuable to somebody. Try to see it from their point of view and you start to get it.

I normally don't go out of my way to track down and buy Murphy aged guitars . But sometimes they find me. Love 'em or hate 'em, the fact is, that some of the best guitars coming out of the Custom Shop are Murphy aged. And who wouldn't want a great guitar? You may have seen this one before, but here's a very rare example of an '03 Brazilian that's Murphy aged. Would you refuse to buy it because it's aged?

IMG_9750_1000.jpg

Frank

Uh-oh ... have I stuck a bad nerve? Perhaps you have done a bit of fibbing on your resume and take my comment as an attack? Either way' date=' I'm sorry if I have offended YOU with my comment. Besides, I've seen you disagree and respond to others in a similar way on a number of occasions (such as your many comments that anything short of a historic model is a waste and essentially a cheap & inferior guitar), so with all due respect, you're not exactly in a position to call people out for having their own opinions.[/quote']

Didn't strike a bad nerve, didn't take it as an attack, didn't get offended. It just seems that every thread about an aged Les Paul turns into "why the **** would you want to do that to a Les Paul??"

I'm fine if somebody thinks that a historic is a pile of crap...as long as they've at least played one. If I've made such comments it's probably because the guy that said something hasn't even picked one up and said they're over rated, over priced, etc. See the difference?

Frank, you have a beautiful R9 there but to be honest, I would not buy it because it's aged. The headstock alone breaks my heart. The only time I would consider buying an aged Les Paul would be if the particular guitar I wanted only came aged and I was set on buying one...llike the 50th R8s, for example. I can definitely see the appeal of owning a guitar that looks beat up but it's not for me.

So' date=' you don't buy pre-washed jeans, then. Everybody with a comfortable pair is a poser? fraud?

Distressed furniture, that's not country-chique it's just fake?

Only a veteran pilot is supposed to wear a faded bomber jacket?

Aging guitars isn't my thing, doesnt' float my boat. But people are paying good money for them so it's got to be valuable to somebody. Try to see it from their point of view and you start to get it. [/quote']

No, my jeans don't have the appearance of being used when I purchase them ... usually takes me at least a year to break them in ... and really, at an average price of around $250-$300/pair I'd rather wear them in myself (which I guess is why I personally feel if I'm spending thousands on a guitar, that I'd prefer to age it myself through use).

I don't buy distressed furniture ... I prefer antiques (the real stuff with a real history).

People still wear bomber jackets?

I do get it ... I just don't like it for myself. Just a difference of opinion, that's all.

I normally don't go out of my way to track down and buy Murphy aged guitars . But sometimes they find me. Love 'em or hate 'em' date=' the fact is, that some of the best guitars coming out of the Custom Shop are Murphy aged. And who wouldn't want a great guitar? You may have seen this one before, but here's a very rare example of an '03 Brazilian that's Murphy aged. Would you refuse to buy it because it's aged?

[img']http://www.mylespaul.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_9750_1000.jpg[/img]

Frank

Honestly, as much as I appreciate the beauty of that guitar (and really, it's quite stunning) I would have to side w/Tim on this in that I likely would not. I think it's just a personal OCD thing about preferring all nicks/scrapes/dents/etc., come from me ... you know, one of those things were years down the line I can look back and think "yeah, I remember when THAT happened!". Still, that's a beauty you posted!

Didn't strike a bad nerve' date=' didn't take it as an attack, didn't get offended. It just seems that every thread about an aged Les Paul turns into "why the **** would you want to do that to a Les Paul??"

I'm fine if somebody thinks that a historic is a pile of crap...as long as they've at least played one. If I've made such comments it's probably because the guy that said something hasn't even picked one up and said they're over rated, over priced, etc. See the difference?

Frank, you have a beautiful R9 there but to be honest, I would not buy it because it's aged. The headstock alone breaks my heart. The only time I would consider buying an aged Les Paul would be if the particular guitar I wanted only came aged and I was set on buying one...llike the 50th R8s, for example. I can definitely see the appeal of owning a guitar that looks beat up but it's not for me.[/quote']

Fair enough, man ... I think I just read your comment the wrong way and perhaps responded to it the wrong way as well. I think I have a tendency in my writing (such is the case with my response to the guy who started this thread) to come across as offensive at times when I don't intend to (could be a NY thing?) ... wasn't attacking him so much as just offering my opinion on the whole "aged" thing.

Anyway, didn't mean to offend anyone w/my opinion (I can't believe I'm apologizing for an opinion right now ... the Stalinist States of America has truly arrived) ... certainly not the intent. Perhaps I need some sensitivity training along with a new set of pinko panties.

I will say however, that as far as aged guitars go, I like the GT's the best ... some of them are quite pretty.

• 2 weeks later...
Or, you know, you could just play it and age it yourself ...

The whole "aged guitar" thing to me is a bit like needing a certain work experience on your resume, but instead of gaining the experience on your own, you ask your Dad to go out and do the work so you can slap it on your resume ... it's nothing more than a form of fraud and deceit. Don't pose ... play!

To each his own I suppose.

I myself dont like the pre-aged look. People pay huge money for it...Just drag it behind your car for a few blocks.

Youll save some money.

Hey Madguitarist,

That's usually the first thing I think of when people say "aged or reliced". I tried a few of those Tele's and Strat's and was not convinced of their supposed appeal or value. They played well, but I just didn't think it was worth my hard earned cash. I settled for the new pristine nitro finishes in the end.

I relate to it this way, I have in my garage a '66 Hi perf. Mustang that has been restored from the frame up. It has the look and feel of a car that rolled off the assembly line in 1966. I don't think it would be worth the price I paid for it if it had a faded, rusty exerior, a beatened interior or a tired engine. I place the same sense of value on just about everything else I own. In the end, my son wins since he'll end up with everything I 'll leave behind for him. By then, I suppose everything will have aged naturally and nicely.

This is not to say that I don't now enjoy the toys that I own. To me they all have that new thrill just as when I first got them. To each his own. Enjoy what you have while you can. =;

Archived