Gibson Brands Forums

Recording studio

Simply put?

YES...

...and no.

Depends on the quality of the stuff you want. While Im sure there are really cheap options that could get you all that for the amount of money you have, I think it would be a waste of money. Better go with as many good things as you can get and buy the rest after.

Basics:

Interface (why 10 cannel? you wanna record 10 tracks at the same time? if so you will need a good computer dedicated only for recording (no antivirus, no internet, no games, no office and nothing but the stuff required for the interface and DAW to work, I knoe some might debate this but I have run lots of tests, and believe me the differences are abysmal).

DAW:

You can get protools LE free with most M-audio and Digidesign interfaces, you can get cubase LE with most interfaces made by other brands. The thing is, those are nice starting programs but you will outgrow them quickly... a complete version of protools or nuendo will go above 1500 for the software only.

Mic:

Better to have one nice-to-great mic for vocals and one great mic for amps than to have a gazillion poor-to-average mics. You can get some prety decent mics for under 1K but not for under 399 for vocals, and for amps (since most of us record guitars here) you can get a nice sennheiser from 100 to 350, and the historical industry standard the shure sm57 for less than 100).

If you are considering drum mics in those 7 you asked, then you should check starter packs from samson, they are not the best but they are cheap, but then again, going cheap will get you cheap sound in most cases, and if you have a drummer, then it's better to convince him to buy drum mics.

TG gives some great advice. I bought Firestudio Project, which came with Cubase LE. I quickly grew out of that and upgraded to Cubase 4, which set me back about $400. I then added EZdrummer for drum tracks. I should note that I have a screaming laptop (cost me 4K) and I still need to turn all the "other" stuff off to record tracks, so TG is right about having a dedicated computer.

I don't need if anyone really needs 10 channels anymore. You can lay down your tracks one at a time and most DAWs have a lot of flexibility, although you'll need several months to learn about them (I have 5 books on Cubase and it's amazing what it can do, but it took a me while to learn it). Drums can be mixed into a single stereo track (mixers are cheap these days).

Im just tryin to start a small recording studio for my band and bands to come... I went down to my local music store and ws talking to the Pro-Audio guy there and he showed me a M-Audio ProFire 2626 that looked good to me and with ProTools he said it would cost about 1K. I aslo have a Sure Beta 58A mic that I have had for some time that he said should be good for almost everything but he said that a good condenser mic is the way to go for amps... Im lookin at the A-T 2020 condenser mic. he said he would throw two in a package for $175. and for the drum kit he said he would use 3-4 mics. Two over-head, one for the snare and one for the kick drum. he told me that I basically need 1.8K to get all this and stuff like monitors but right now I jsut realized that I dont have a computer to devote to this!! and my spare laptop wouldnt cut it right?

Yes you can, but better to ohave the option of expanding in the future... if you post a little more info on your needs and give me a couple of hours (I'm off to the clinic right now :| ) then I will give some advice, as Im sure will others.

I am just simply wanting to record demos as a band if possible with as little over-dubbing as possible. I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest route, but defiantly not the most expensive route either. I need a middle of the road way to record...

thanks,

Read

Archived