Gibson Brands Forums

Will This Work?

Andre S

I want to put an acoustic pickup on my Les Paul, but dont want to drill/route for the LR. Baggs T-Bridge pickup. Will a regular made for acoustic saddle pickup work if I stick it under the strings, and run it to a preamp and to amp or directly to an amp?

I think it would lookd really weird, and would end up damaging the finish more than drilling a little hole (or 2 if you go with LR Baggs) under the bridge.

You can drill that hole under the bridge and it wont be noticeable.

You can also cut a little bit of the bridge pickup ring and take them wires in there, then take them to the control cavity using the existing pickup routing.

TIP:

Fishman's version comes with a single wire.

LR Baggs version comes with 6 which makes it more difficult to instal.

Gibson signatures that come with a piezo use Fishman piezo bridges.

Good luck finding one in nickel from both brands.

No i was going to stick it on the mounting ring' date=' not on the finish[/quote']

It would still look weird IMO, and would be a pain to take off if you ever want to do it...

Gibson should really offer the "nanomag" pickup on their les pauls.

I want to put an acoustic pickup on my Les Paul, but dont want to drill/route for the LR. Baggs T-Bridge pickup. Will a regular made for acoustic saddle pickup work if I stick it under the strings, and run it to a preamp and to amp or directly to an amp?

Just curious...why do you want to do this?

Just curious...why do you want to do this?

Well I saw that people like slash and alex lifeson did this to get an acoustic sound from the les pauls,, i mean slash tobacco burst model has it factory installed, so i wanted to see how good an acoustic tone you can get, but i diidnt want to fuss with difficult installations so a regular made for acoustic pickup is easier to install than for example a t-bridge

I always thought those under the saddle peizo pickups received most of their sound because of the direct contact with the saddle. It picks up the vibration of the string via the bridge and transferred to the pup.

If this is how the pup works then I say no it won't work.

Well I saw that people like slash and alex lifeson did this to get an acoustic sound from the les pauls' date=', i mean slash tobacco burst model has it factory installed, so i wanted to see how good an acoustic tone you can get, but i diidnt want to fuss with difficult installations so a regular made for acoustic pickup is easier to install than for example a t-bridge [/quote']

Why don't you just order an Epiphone Ultra II ?

Will a regular made for acoustic saddle pickup work if I stick it under the strings?

No. Under-saddle pickups made for acoustics must be sandwiched under the saddle in the pathway of the vibrations from the saddle down through the bridge to the guitar top. They're not microphones. That's why Fishman and LR Baggs already invented the wheel for you.

Hey man' date=' do you use the preamp or just the bridge?

Pros? Cons?

[/quote']

i just use the bridge. no Powerchip on mine.

pros of no powerchip are: its easier to install and you still have both of your tone controls. BTW, i used a push-pull pot at the neck tone control to switch from HB to piezo and my output jack is only in mono. you can also use a stereo jack if you want or if you have a separate acoustic amp.

cons of no powerchip are: there's no vol control for the piezo. you have the option to put a passive vol control but you have to sacrifice one of your pot and it also decreases the output of the piezo. second you dont have the option to blend the HB and piezo.

if i have the money i would get the PowerChip(i only got the bridge coz its 60% off). i want to be able to blend the two pup types and it also automatically senses if you have a mono or stereo plug.

Archived