Gibson Brands Forums

The difference between Gibson Faded SG and SG Standard?

Tarixyooj

Hey, SG fans.

I'm going to buy another guitar and I've decided that I want an SG because they look so damn sexy and sound ROCK HARD. :-k

So I was wondering what and if there is any difference between the Gibson Faded SG Special Electric Guitar and Gibson SG Standard besides the different finishes.

Although, I would love to get an SG in Heritage Cherry.... I wouldn't mind getting one in Worn Cherry if it saves me $400.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the pickups but the one thing that kept me from buying a Faded Special my fear of it warping much easier than a guitar with a finish on it. The wood is exposed so I think it's more prone to temperature changes.

However, some people have their Faded Specials re-finished with a thin coat of something and they look great. If you were to buy Faded Special you could probably re-finish it and buy new parts for less than a Standard.

Swmcv2007, what do you mean "than a guitar with a finish on it"? The Fadeds have a finish, they're not exposed wood.

Yes there is - labor! The faded has less coats of nitro, the inlays are different and the Faded doesn't have neck binding. The Special has 490/490 pickups and the Standard has 490/498. The Standard will have a one or two-piece body; whereas, the Special may have more.

^^ Pretty much that in a nutshell

Other then the pick ups, the Standard is just a cosmeticly prettier guitar. In addition to that above, the Standard has chrome pup covers and the Gibson logo on the head stock is all inlay, rather then decal. The Inlays themselves are trapazoidal and just different. All in all its pretty much a matter of opinion. From what I hear, they are both GREAT guitars, but the Standard seems to be held in a slightly higher regard. But its mainly for the finish and the pups. But if you dont mind the finish and inlays and are willing to change the pups, then the faded (from what I hear) is just as good as the Standard.

I dont personally own either, but plan on grabbing a Standard when I get enough money. Only another month of so I hope [-o<

Yeah, man, get the Standard. I have a Standard and a Special Faded. I love them both, but nothing compares to my SG Standard. You better post some pics when you get it home!

Put a 498T in the Faded, and sonically the only difference from a Standard would be covered vs uncovered pickups. The other differences are mainly cosmetic (in addition to the above, the truss rod cover and knobs are also different).

Im no expert but, aside from the better pickups, the standard has a far better level of finish all round. The bound neck alone makes a big difference and the examples of the faded special I have seen have simply failed to impress me as being worth what they cost even though they are relatively speaking cheap for a Gibson. In particular, the finish on the necks (fret edges mainly) was terrible.

I am currently considering three options, Classic with P90s, Raw Power and Standard. I simply will not consider buying the faded special or special as I have not seen one that I liked the neck finish or overall quality. I intend to buy only one Gibson and I want it to be something I can be proud of and enjoy owning.

Archived