Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RJLII

Plain Top Fans?

Anyone else prefer a plain top sunburst? There's just something about a plain topped LP that I find attractive. Don't get me wrong, flame looks cool, but sometimes it's a bit much.

I like Flame Tops, but I wouldn't rule out a plain top if the price, sound and playability was right. But it must be a genuine Gibson Les Paul.

Overall, definitely plain tops. I love them.

There are only a few plain tops I've seen that I'd say weren't appealing but there are lots of flame tops that I don't like.

I'd love another R8 one day...

IMG_2211.jpg

Plain is the way!

Picture047-1.jpg

I do look like a nice flame top but it has to be a real killer flame for me to buy it...

Regards

Love the plain tops. Prefer them as well.

But with gorgeous grains like flight959's I wouldn't exactly consider it 'plain'. Thats beatiful.

Green Day was on SNL a couple of nights ago and during their second song, the other guitarist was playing what appeared to be a nice R8. I remember noting how nice the plain top looked.

lpmb_03.jpg

When I bought my LP in 1975, there were no flame tops available, and hadn't been for the 15 years prior, so I had no choice. If I would have had a choice, I certainally would have preferred a nice bookmatched flame top.

But hey, I brought her to the dance, so dance we shall. I never been disappointed in this guitar in any way, and not a reason in the world to replace it OR buy another, especially at today's prices.

2327165660_9e4b20a9f5_o.jpg

It never ends' date=' does it?

Nice guitar Flight.[/quote']

Thanks Tim,

Likewise I have always loved both your 58 plain top and your latest 58 addition STUNNING!

Regards

i love staring at my lp's flame top. at least the few parts that can still be seen under all those stickers on it. the wavy patterns are totally trippy when you put your eyes up close.....

I was in the market for a Les Paul recently (last week) and I tried out at least 20 different guitars at 3 different stores.I ended up with one of those LP Traditional Standard Pro plain top models atG.C. because it had all the features I wanted even though for the same price I could have had the flame on a different model.I love this guitar and I dont miss the flame at all.Was'nt crazy about the zebra coils at first but now I've started to really think there groovy.

Overall' date=' definitely plain tops. I love them.

There are only a few plain tops I've seen that I'd say weren't appealing but there are lots of flame tops that I don't like.

I'd love another R8 one day...

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/IMG_2211.jpg[/img]

+1, Thats a fine looking guitar. I like plain tops though some of the flames are nice if they are not too OTT in the patterning.