Gibson Brands Forums

Dear Abby

Gilliangirl

I was at the local bluegrass jam on Thursday night and some totally gorgeous guy showed up with a mid-fifties Gibson J-50! I sat beside him but he completely ignored me the whole night, even tho' I was the only other guitar player with a Gibson. His guitar had the original Kluson tuners, yellowed binding, scratched up headstock, oh it was just beautiful. The only words spoken were when he passed the mic my way and I said 'pass'. I really wanted to talk to him about his guitar, but he was really quiet and kept to himself. Does he know he has a treasure in his guitar? Does he care to connect with other like-minded types?

Dear Abby, what should I do? O:)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Gibson Guy Go Bye-Bye, (Gilliangirl,)

Now I don't know what Dear Abby would say so I won't speak for her.

My guess is she doesn't read the Gibson forum anyway.

But "Uncle Gary" says you let that one slip. If you find yourself in that situation again, don't be so bashful.

You have got to go after anything in this life you want.

Most guys will let you know right away if they are not interested.

(either by slipping out the back door, or going to the restroom never to return.)

Besides you have a common thread. Talk Gibson! It's a great ice breaker!

Remember girlfriend... "Only a Gibson Guy is good enough!"

Sincerely,

Uncle Gary

Dear Bluegrass Belle--

I suspect your Gibson guy was tongue-tied himself, perhaps for two reasons. First off, he may have thought that it would be the lamest of come-on lines to say to you, "Wow, you've got a knock-out Gibson there." (Somehow, such lines work better coming from women to men than vice versa.) He perhaps feared turning your bluegrass jamboree into a "night of dodging the creep" and so pined in silence. This leads to reason two: our tongue-tied picker was himself interested in knowing you, but like yourself, found himself too shy to make the first move.

Let us be honest: most guitar boys are far too overconfident when it comes to female pickers anyway. If he was either not interested in you or a hotdog himself, he would have had no problem inquiring about your Gibson. It is his silence toward another Gibson player that, in my mind, gives him away. He wanted to talk to you but did not know how to do so without seeming a testosterone-overheated gearhead.

The quiet boys are leaving the door open for women to make the first move, especially in environments where they think women may be accosted too much as it is. My advice: next time, tell him how great his guitar is, and let the conversation remain locked on guitars until he seems comfortable talking about other things. As Uncle Gary said, a polite gentleman will be kind if he is not interested, and an egomaniac is not worth getting to know anyway.

Best of luck, and know that for the right person, great music speaks wonders.

Abby

(a/k/a Ignatius)

Dear Gibson Guy Go Bye-Bye' date=' (Gilliangirl,)

Now I don't know what Dear Abby would say so I won't speak for her.

My guess is she doesn't read the Gibson forum anyway.

But "Uncle Gary" says you let that one slip. If you find yourself in that situation again, don't be so bashful.

You have got to go after anything in this life you want.

Most guys will let you know right away if they are not interested.

(either by slipping out the back door, or going to the restroom never to return.)

Besides you have a common thread. Talk Gibson! It's a great ice breaker!

Remember girlfriend... "Only a Gibson Guy is good enough!"

Sincerely,

Uncle Gary

[/quote']

Dear Uncle Gary,

Thank you VERY much for the advice. The problem is I AM bashful, at least in person, and terrified of rejection (as most folks are). If I get another chance to do it over again (if he shows up next week), I will try my very hardest to say something to him. (Where's Sadie Hawkins day when you need it?) If he ignores me, I'll never go to the bluegrass jam again. LOL O:)

Dear Bluegrass Belle--

I suspect your Gibson guy was tongue-tied himself' date=' perhaps for two reasons. First off, he may have thought that it would be the lamest of come-on lines to say to you, "Wow, you've got a knock-out Gibson there." (Somehow, such lines work better coming from women to men than vice versa.) He perhaps feared turning your bluegrass jamboree into a "night of dodging the creep" and so pined in silence. This leads to reason two: our tongue-tied picker was himself interested in knowing you, but like yourself, found himself too shy to make the first move.

Let us be honest: most guitar boys are far too overconfident when it comes to female pickers anyway. If he was either not interested in you or a hotdog himself, he would have had no problem inquiring about your Gibson. It is his silence toward another Gibson player that, in my mind, gives him away. He wanted to talk to you but did not know how to do so without seeming a testosterone-overheated gearhead.

The quiet boys are leaving the door open for women to make the first move, especially in environments where they think women may be accosted too much as it is. My advice: next time, tell him how great his guitar is, and let the conversation remain locked on guitars until he seems comfortable talking about other things. As Uncle Gary said, a polite gentleman will be kind if he is not interested, and an egomaniac is not worth getting to know anyway.

Best of luck, and know that for the right person, great music speaks wonders.

Abby

(a/k/a Ignatius)[/quote']

Dear Abby aka Ignatius,

Thank you for the vote of confidence. It makes me feel better to think he might have been just as terrified as I was, rather than I was nothing more than a speck of dirt on the old wood floor to him. I must admit I'm used to a more direct approach from the opposite sex instead of being completely ignored. It also occurred to me that he might be 'already spoken for', in which case I'm not going there of course. (Single people don't wear wedding bands; married people DO.... can we please stick with that tradition so that us lonely single folks have some guidelines when spotting an attractive member of the opposite sex?) He was not wearing a wedding band but who knows anymore?

If there's a next time, I WILL tell him how great his guitar is..... and it is! I'm seriously dying to know what year it was, and (ooooh, big dreams here) would he let me play it. I could do a Gillian Welch song on there with all authenticity. And maybe he could be my Dave Rawlings! O:)/

Thank you, Dear Abby/Ignatius :-)

Was he George Strait gorgeous or George Clooney gorgeous??

He was sort of George Clooney-crossed-with Richard-Gere gorgeous, but with an old guitar. Can you picture it? Because he didn't utter a single word, it's just possible that there may be a bit of George Strait in there too. He was more the strong silent type. Hmmmm, maybe that's not George Clooney or Richard Gere. He looked like Richard Gere, but seemed more George Strait. Does that make sense?

Dear Wishful Thinking,

You're trying to string your Gibson with mismatched strings again. My guess is that he's married or otherwise committed. From the past 941 letters you've written to me, Dear Abby must say AGAIN that you should have learned your lesson by now and should not be going after guitar players. They have only left you heart broken in the past and will surely do so again. Pour yourself a glass of wine and brush out your cats. It will relieve the frustration you're feeling.

Dear Wishful Thinking' date='

You're trying to string your Gibson with mismatched strings again. My guess is that he's married or otherwise committed. From the past 941 letters you've written to me, Dear Abby must say AGAIN that you should have learned your lesson by now and should not be going after guitar players. They have only left you heart broken in the past and will surely do so again. Pour yourself a glass of wine and brush out your cats. It will relieve the frustration you're feeling. [/quote']

A somber moment of reality. You're right, of course. But I can't stop dreaming O:) I hate reality LOL

As a female who has found herself in the middle of a bunch of guitar playing guys on more than one occasion, I can offer this advice:

1) Say hi, smile and make idle chit-chat. If he's friendly and interested, you've broken the ice. If he is a jerk who doesn't think women that can play or that they don't belong in bluegrass jams, you'll know soon enough.

2) If he hands you the mic again, don't say "pass." Say "thanks" as you smile at him, and proceed to knock his socks off with a great song.

3) Handsome guitar players are usually a bad bet as boyfriend material, sad to say.

Good luck and report back!

As a female who has found herself in the middle of a bunch of guitar playing guys on more than one occasion' date=' I can offer this advice:

1) Say hi, smile and make idle chit-chat. If he's friendly and interested, you've broken the ice. If he is a jerk who doesn't think women that can play or that they don't belong in bluegrass jams, you'll know soon enough.

2) If he hands you the mic again, don't say "pass." Say "thanks" as you smile at him, and proceed to knock his socks off with a great song.

3) Handsome guitar players are usually a bad bet as boyfriend material, sad to say.

Good luck and report back![/quote']

1) Ooooh, are those types still out there? I can guarantee ya I wouldn't get along with one of those types.

2) That's easier said than done for me, being the bashful type. But I'm workin' on it.

3) You're right. How unfortunate that it seems to be that way.

Well, if he shows up next Thursday at the jam, I'll be sure to post an update. Thanks Gibtex.

Not true, otherwise they'd be beating down MY door.

Actually, last night there was a 20 year old college cheerleader beating at my bedroom door, screaming and crying.

After a while I couldn't stand the noise any longer so I got up and let her out.

Dear, dear Karen,

I've seen these situations before and I'm sure he avoided conversation with you because he had a big chunk of spinach stuck between his front teeth. It's also a good idea to have some good rationalizations handy when you feel you've been rejected. I've always liked, " well, I'll bet she's got terrible breath like a yak and her feet probably stink." Feel free to use these on bluegrass Gibby guy.

Dear' date=' dear Karen,

I've seen these situations before and I'm sure he avoided conversation with you because he had a big chunk of spinach stuck between his front teeth.[/size']

You're assuming he had front teeth! [-X/

After all, she did say it was a bluegrass jam. Maybe next time she ought to remove her front teeth. Then maybe he'd hit on her.

They always say in business seminars that the way to approach imposing men confidently is to imagine that they have little, erm, you know whats!

Surely he can't be handsome, own God's own Gibson and be well endowed?

I'm not trying to be crude, just giving you a way to make an approach with a certain sang froid!

O.K. politeness aside, being crude now, if you do get past the 'hello stage' let's hope our hypothesis is wrong! If you don't, then it was almost certainly correct!

Best of luck; go get him! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. When you get to my age you'll look back on your shy, younger self and wish you'd realised then that the fear of rejection is the last thing in life that's worth worrying about!

Here are some more top pyschological hints for you. If you want to be noticed, stand in the centre of the room, not near the wall or at a table. Wear Pink/Apricot flesh tones and also a nice scent based on vanilla and cinnamon (men respond to these apparently). Also, get an attitude. No man is attracted to a girl who has nothing to say. I'm sure you're a pretty, intelligent, young woman with plenty about her (you play a Gibson) who just needs to realise that!

--

ibis (aka Cupid)

My aim in life is to have no regrets.

After all' date= she did say it was a bluegrass jam. Maybe next time she ought to remove her front teeth. Then maybe he'd hit on her.[/quote]

ROFLMAO..... okay, I'm guessing the banjo jokes are going to start any minute now LOL

ROFLMAO..... okay' date=' I'm guessing the banjo jokes are going to start any minute now LOL[/quote']

hey GG you want a laugh and I promise this is true.

Am sitting at a laptop in dining room, wife watching TV next door and "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" just started playing!!

Honest!

Spoooky!!

John

After all' date= she did say it was a bluegrass jam. Maybe next time she ought to remove her front teeth. Then maybe he'd hit on her.[/quote]

Good point, Mike. I never thought of the bluegrass connection. In that case< Karen, a good starting/pickup line for a bluegrass jam is, try this one next time: " I like your Gibson. Hey!! Nice tooth!!!"

Dear Karen, dear Karen

You have no complaint

You are what you are and you aint what you aint

So listen up buster and listen up good

Stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood

Signed Dear Terry ( with lots of help from John Prine!)

Good point, Mike. I never thought of the bluegrass connection. In that case< Karen, a good starting/pickup line for a bluegrass jam is, try this one next time: " I like your Gibson. Hey!! Nice tooth!!!"

Dear Karen, dear Karen

You have no complaint

You are what you are and you aint what you aint

So listen up buster and listen up good

Stop wishin' for bad luck and knockin' on wood

Signed Dear Terry ( with lots of help from John Prine!)

He was sort of George Clooney-crossed-with Richard-Gere gorgeous' date=' but with an old guitar. Can you picture it? Because he didn't utter a single word, it's just possible that there may be a bit of George Strait in there too. He was more the strong silent type. Hmmmm, maybe that's not George Clooney or Richard Gere. He looked like Richard Gere, but seemed more George Strait. Does that make sense?[/quote']

w00t! Totally.

You've gotten some pretty good advice on here. I say there ARE plenty of good looking guitar pickin' hotties out there who're ready and willing to give a girl a shot. Gibson is a great opener and if you get the "I'm not interested" vibe, just smile and play on. Don't take it personally, more than likely it's his hang ups that's the problem... not you.

You know, when I was younger and I wanted a guy's attention, I'd just get the word out that I'm not interested in having a boyfriend. A backwards way to go about getting a boyfriend, but it worked A LOT. Quote- "I've done everything I can to get you to love me and you just won't!" Hehe. I married him.

Archived