Gibson Brands Forums

Dear Abby

Gilliangirl

Who would make fun of banjo playing what else can you play without skill or even even tuning it and still fit in.

Ok just one banjo joke.

Q - How do you get the banjo player to leave your house?

A - Pay them for the pizza.

ok one more

Q - whats the difference between a banjo player and a large pizza

A - the large pizza can feed a family of four.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A banjo, a mandolin, and a fiddle walk into a bar... I better not finish that one, children may be reading this.

Karen,

I say make the move! I've been shot down so many times my sides look like a WWII fighter plane. I've also dated a few girls that could give Jessica Alba a run for her money. You never know until you ask. Just strike up a conversation with him and go from there. I would suggest asking him about his guitar. Where did he get it? Is he the original owner? etc. etc. that sort of thing....

Reading threads like this, it makes me appreciate my wife more. We may have both jumped fences, cursed each other in public, wished the other dead and almost divorced ten years ago, but I wouldn't trade her for a new Montana Gold if Henry hand-delivered it. We may have had one of the rockiest marriages since Ralph & Alice, but I guess that just proves how determined we are to make it work.

Seems like a piece of cake compared to the minefield known as dating.

Earl Scruggs, John Hartford, Bela Fleck, Roy Clark, Pete Seeger, and Grandpa Jones,

are laughing all the way to the bank!

Well maybe not John Hartford, or Grandpa Jones, they're dead.

But you get my point!

The list is actually quite long.

List of Banjo Players

Post Script:

1. No, I don't play a banjo. I've never even had one in my hand.

2. Drummer jokes are funnier.

3. Bass player jokes are funnier.

4. Keyboard player jokes are funnier.

5. Horn player jokes just blow! But they are funnier.

6. I'm not overly fond of Bluegrass, but I don't dislike it.

7. I know everyone is kidding, so am I

8. ...and most importantly I AM A COAL COUNTRY HILLBILLY!!!

Texas via West Virginia baby.

Can I get a YEE HAW?

Reading threads like this' date=' it makes me appreciate my wife more. We may have both jumped fences, cursed each other in public, wished the other dead and almost divorced ten years ago, but I wouldn't trade her for a new Montana Gold if Henry hand-delivered it. We may have had one of the rockiest marriages since Ralph & Alice, but I guess that just proves how determined we are to make it work.

Seems like a piece of cake compared to the minefield known as dating.[/quote']

Not even a Montana Gold??? That really is true love.

LiveSoundGuy- Just for the record, I actually am quite fond of Bluegrass music. It started when I heard Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder and branched out from there. I also love to watch and listen to a good banjo player. Yes, it was all in good fun! Also, GO WEST VIRGINIA!!!! I drew their team on the March Madness board at my local watering hole.

Yeah I heard WV pulled it out in the March Madness thing. Don't laugh, but I'm not all that into basketball.

However, I DO enjoy bluegrass, I just don't listen to it on any regular sort of basis.

I grew up in the whole Beverly Hillbillies, Flatt and Scruggs, Hee Haw, Glen Campbell and John Hartford era, and Dad had a fondness for Bill Monroe and some others of that ilk.

I myself didn't really start to appreciate it as a musical art form until I discovered Bela Fleck, Sam Bush and some other New Grass Revival types, as well as Ricky Scaggs. I did however always really enjoy John Hartford's work. Then I started to get in to Bela Fleck as a solo artist. Up till that point I had always thought of it as "toothless hick" type of music. My thought process has matured much since those days. It all great stuff in my opinion.

Reading threads like this' date=' it makes me appreciate my wife more. We may have both jumped fences, cursed each other in public, wished the other dead and almost divorced ten years ago, but I wouldn't trade her for a new Montana Gold if Henry hand-delivered it. We may have had one of the rockiest marriages since Ralph & Alice, but I guess that just proves how determined we are to make it work.

Seems like a piece of cake compared to the minefield known as dating.[/quote']

LOL - I agree.

I remember once when my oldest was little, having a terrible argument with my husband on the way to interviewing a daycare sitter at her home. The last thing I hissed at my husband before going in to this woman's house was, "If we didn't have a kid together, I'd leave you right now!" We then proceeded to act charming with the sitter for 45 minutes, which defused the situation entirely. Upon getting back into the car, my husband looked at me and said, "You'd leave me right now, huh?" and we both burst out laughing.

The first 10 years or so were tough, but after 20, I can say I've made the right choice! =P~

(And the thought of dating again was a definite divorce deterrent!)

Karen,

Here's another way to look at it: was the guy a newbie? From your description, he didn't talk to anyone else, either. I think a lot of guys that are new to any circle, bluegrass or otherwise, will hesitate to put themselves forward until they feel more familiar. If he shows up this week, it will probably be easier to strike up a conversation, and like everyone said, you don't have to wait for him to make the first move.

Now, if it had been me (and I'm the shy type, most of the time), I'd have been happy to talk guitars with you. Although I would have mentioned my wife in about the second sentence, just so everybody knows where things stand (and yes, I do wear a wedding ring).

Karen' date='

Here's another way to look at it: was the guy a newbie? From your description, he didn't talk to anyone else, either. I think a lot of guys that are new to any circle, bluegrass or otherwise, will hesitate to put themselves forward until they feel more familiar. If he shows up this week, it will probably be easier to strike up a conversation, and like everyone said, you don't have to wait for him to make the first move.

Now, if it had been me (and I'm the shy type, most of the time), I'd have been happy to talk guitars with you. Although I would have mentioned my wife in about the second sentence, just so everybody knows where things stand (and yes, I do wear a wedding ring). [/quote']

He might have been a newbie. I'm a newbie to that group myself but he hasn't ever been there the other times I have been. I'm guessing he's not new to guitar tho', being as he's playing a vintage Gibby.

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to attend this week because I'm going to see Los Lobos and James Hunter that night ( this coming Thursday). Boy I sure hope I don't lose momentum!

He might have been a newbie. I'm a newbie to that group myself but he hasn't ever been there the other times I have been. I'm guessing he's not new to guitar tho'' date=' being as he's playing a vintage Gibby.

Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to attend this week because I'm going to see Los Lobos and James Hunter that night ( this coming Thursday). Boy I sure hope I don't lose momentum![/quote']

No, this will just make you more mysterious. ;D

Unfortunately' date=' I am not going to be able to attend this week because I'm going to see Los Lobos {snip}![/quote']

I caught a Crossroads show they did for either CMT or GAC, with Ronnie Milsap.

Incredible collaboration between them. I also bought their last DVD, some really good sets on it!

You'll enjoy their show.

I was at the local bluegrass jam on Thursday night and some totally gorgeous guy showed up with a mid-fifties Gibson J-50! I sat beside him but he completely ignored me the whole night' date=' even tho' I was the only other guitar player with a Gibson. His guitar had the original Kluson tuners, yellowed binding, scratched up headstock, oh it was just beautiful. The only words spoken were when he passed the mic my way and I said 'pass'. I really wanted to talk to him about his guitar, but he was really quiet and kept to himself. Does he know he has a treasure in his guitar? Does he care to connect with other like-minded types?

Dear Abby, what should I do? ;) [/quote']

I was at the local bluegrass jam on Thursday night and some totally gorgeous gal

showed up with a ... Gibson J-45! She sat beside me but she completely

ignored me the whole night, even tho' I was the only other guitar player with a Gibson.

Her guitar had the original ... tuners, yellowed binding, scratched up headstock, oh

it was just beautiful. The only words spoken were when I passed her the mic and she

said 'pass'. I really wanted to talk to her about her guitar, but she was really

quiet and kept to herself. Does she know she has a treasure in her

guitar? Does she care to connect with other like-minded types?

Dear Abby, what should I do?

"Magic" is a 45? isnt' she?

Well... It weren't me Karen, but... this is what the other Gibby owner could be thinkin'... so...

whats' your excuse for not talkin' up his guit tar? ;)

Us men folk are just as scared to death of you women folk as you are of us.

Communication may be a two way street, but someone has to come across the centerline

once in a while for something to happen.

I was at the local bluegrass jam on Thursday night and some totally gorgeous guy showed up with a mid-fifties Gibson J-50! I sat beside him but he completely ignored me the whole night' date=' even tho' I was the only other guitar player with a Gibson. His guitar had the original Kluson tuners, yellowed binding, scratched up headstock, oh it was just beautiful. The only words spoken were when he passed the mic my way and I said 'pass'. I really wanted to talk to him about his guitar, but he was really quiet and kept to himself. Does he know he has a treasure in his guitar? Does he care to connect with other like-minded types?

Dear Abby, what should I do? ;) [/quote']

I was at the local bluegrass jam on Thursday night and some totally gorgeous gal

showed up with a ... Gibson J-45! She sat beside me but she completely

ignored me the whole night, even tho' I was the only other guitar player with a Gibson.

Her guitar had the original ... tuners, yellowed binding, scratched up headstock, oh

it was just beautiful. The only words spoken were when I passed her the mic and she

said 'pass'. I really wanted to talk to her about her guitar, but she was really

quiet and kept to herself. Does she know she has a treasure in her

guitar? Does she care to connect with other like-minded types?

Dear Abby, what should I do?

"Magic" is a 45? isnt' she?

Well... It weren't me Karen, but... this is what the other Gibby owner could be thinkin'... so...

whats' your excuse for not talkin' up his guit tar? ;)

Us men folk are just as scared to death of you women folk as you are of us.

Communication may be a two way street, but someone has to come across the centerline

once in a while for something to happen.

He was sort of George Clooney-crossed-with Richard-Gere gorgeous' date=' but with an old guitar. Can you picture it? Because he didn't utter a single word, it's just possible that there may be a bit of George Strait in there too. He was more the strong silent type. Hmmmm, maybe that's not George Clooney or Richard Gere. He looked like Richard Gere, but seemed more George Strait. Does that make sense?[/quote']

Oh Jeez! ;) you're comparin' him to those guys?

Now you know why we're scared of you women folk. Too much to live up to!;)

Now if you said he was the Briscoe Darling type... now that someone we can aspire

to. ;)

As a female who has found herself in the middle of a bunch of guitar playing guys on more than one occasion' date=' I can offer this advice:

3) Handsome guitar players are usually a bad bet as boyfriend material, sad to say.

...[/quote']

Hey-ey-ey.!:-k

I resemble that remark! :-k

w00t! Totally.

You've gotten some pretty good advice on here. I say there ARE plenty of good looking guitar pickin' hotties out there who're ready and willing to give a girl a shot. Gibson is a great opener and if you get the "I'm not interested" vibe' date=' just smile and play on. Don't take it personally, more than likely it's his hang ups that's the problem... not you.

You know, when I was younger and I wanted a guy's attention, I'd just get the word out that I'm not interested in having a boyfriend. A backwards way to go about getting a boyfriend, but it worked A LOT. Quote- "I've done everything I can to get you to love me and you just won't!" Hehe. I married him. [/quote']

Pay attention boys! We're gettin' a rare look into the female psyche. :-s

Just don't stare at it... you'll go blind. [-X

I'm sure glad we decided to the the wimmens onto our board. +:-@

BTW currently listening to "Banjer in the Holler" by the Dillards. And that ain't 'spooky', it's just plain makin' good music choices.

Archived