Gibson Brands Forums

Neck joints

Luap

Hi everyone. I am looking for an acoustic guitar. (I don't have to buy it now, just in a period of time)

I heard some bad things about some sort of neck joint, but I don't remember which it was. Could someone give me a list of neck joint-types, and pros and cons?

Thank you!

Hi Luap....

I have to laugh at your name.... my name is Paul and my parents always kid me about the time as a child when I was learning how to write my name, I spelled it Luap.... backward for Paul! :-# to that I say:

Dyslexics of the world.... UNTIE!

First off there is your typical Gibson or Martin neck joint which is a "Dove Tail". It is a glued in pocket which creats a bond between the neck and the body of the guitar.

Taylor and many others, including several very high end Luthiers, will use a bolt on neck joint called the "NT" neck, I believe it stands for New Technology, but I am not sure about that.

Traditionists may say it is not as good as a glued in Dove Tail joint and others say there is no difference in the quality of a NT neck vs. a dove tail. I own both and don't see or feel any difference. My 16 year old Taylor is playing as good as the day I got it. That said, a neck reset which every guitar will likely need at some distant point in it's life, is much cheaper and eaiser on a Taylor. I currently have my 1964 Gibson LG1 in getting it's first neck reset and it's been 2 weeks of the 3 he said it would take. The cost is about $300. A newer Taylor neck could likely have been reset while I waited for very little money. Neither is better or worse in my opinion. Both styles can provide excellent, life long instruments.

I don't see any difference in bolt-on vs dovetail either. From a repair and utilitarian standpoint I much prefer the bolt on neck. Having said that, I hope Gibson never leaves their dovetail joint because if they did, all we'd hear for the next 30 years is controversy as to when, why, and how much better the old ones were.

Hi Luap....

Taylor and many others' date=' including several very high end Luthiers, will use a bolt on neck joint called the "NT" neck, I believe it stands for New Technology, but I am not sure about that.

[/quote']

Collings is another well-regarded manufacturer that uses bolts to attach the neck, in conjunction witha dovetail joint. The Canadian-made Gibsons also have bolt-on necks.

Don't confuse a dovetail or mortoise and tenon jointed neck held on with bolts (instead of glue) with the Fender-like system some early Asian imports used, which attached from outside of the body. Those are regarded somewhat suspiciously, though plenty of people have guitars they love which were built that way.

Red 333

Those are regarded somewhat suspiciously, though plenty of people have guitars they love which were built that way.

The four screws holding the neck on is about the LEAST suspect thing on my Palomino...! :(/

I love it regardless. I have a soft spot in my head for orphans. I have no life.

scyzqp.jpg

Archived