Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop VOS 1960 LP Special Single Cut

Zaphod B

I was at the local shop yesterday looking into an ES-339 and I was asking about the different neck thicknesses. For the thick neck, they said "it felt just like this", and handed me a 1960 VOS singlecut Special in yellow. After 5 minutes I was ready to buy it, but I had just bought a P90 equipped SG a couple weeks ago.

I have one and like it very much. I highly recommend it with the following disclaimer: If you are a stickler for perfect intonation, it will not work for you without an aftermarket adjustable bridge.

For me, it's a little bit off and I don't really care.

Tone, feel are outstanding.

I have one and like it very much. I highly recommend it with the following disclaimer: If you are a stickler for perfect intonation' date=' it will not work for you without an aftermarket adjustable bridge.

For me, it's a little bit off and I don't really care.

Tone, feel are outstanding.[/quote']

Thanks, BillDuck.

I own a 1976 LP Special reissue that I modded years ago (replaced tuners and bridge, and routed out the bridge pickup cavity for a HB and stuck a DiMarzio Super Distortion in there) and I have always loved the feel and playability of the guitar.

But I want another, genuine article, and the intonation issue is not a problem for me (as you say, aftermarket bridges are available, and for cheap).

I only wish that it came in a color other than TV Yellow. Oh, well.

They can be had in something other than yellow. Mine is heritage cherry. Wildwood Guitars just had the singlecut in faded cherry' date=' but they sold.

This is a doublecut, but it shows they can be had in faded cherry, at least.

http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson/special/07526/07526.php[/quote']

That's a very nice finish. Wildwood must have some backstock, because the Gibson Custom Shop web site isn't listing anything other than the yellow.

• 2 years later...

Rats, I was gonna say "You idiot! How could you think about dropping $2500 on an uncarved, unbound, uncapped Les Paul wannabe just because it comes out of the Custom Shop? And that color! Does that make you feel better?" Guess he won't be reading it then.

BTW, I love TV yellow. And my Robot Les Paul Jr. Special has a VERY similar look, and at a fraction of the price. True, it's a faded finish. GREAT feeling (love the ebony fret board) and great sounding guitar. And the neck is somewhere South of the 50's Tribute baseball bat 50's neck profile, and North of the Classic Antique's slim 60's tapered neck profile.

Archived