Gibson Brands Forums

Installed Grovers on my Traditional

Silverbursted

Kool. They look nice and should come with those.

I love the look and feel of the Grovers on the Headstock

and you can always put-em back. I do perfer the older Tulip tuners

I hear it improve's the Sustain as well because of the weight

Hey Silverbursted!

I noticed in another post you mentioned that you suffer from O.C.D. Just wondering if those extra holes don't bother you? No offense intended, just me as I really do suffer from O.C.D. in everyway. Today I had to replace a stop bar because it seemed as though the gold plating might be thinning. Anyhow, peace, enjoy your Trad as I do mine.

Hey Silverbursted!

I noticed in another post you mentioned that you suffer from O.C.D. Just wondering if those extra holes don't bother you? No offense intended' date=' just me as I really do suffer from O.C.D. in everyway. Today I had to replace a stop bar because it [i']seemed[/i] as though the gold plating might be thinning. Anyhow, peace, enjoy your Trad as I do mine.

Wow, I didn't notice that first, that really makes my previous post even more potent. I won't even take my pick guard off because of the holes that will show. I guess I'm really anal, LOL

I'm a fan of Grovers. Very smooth action when tuning. But the Tone Pros Kluson tuners that come on the Traditional are already really nice and easy to operate, even more than the Gibson Deluxe tuners on my custom shop ES339 which are little tighter.

Hey Silverbursted!

I noticed in another post you mentioned that you suffer from O.C.D. Just wondering if those extra holes don't bother you? No offense intended' date=' just me as I really do suffer from O.C.D. in everyway. Today I had to replace a stop bar because it [i']seemed[/i] as though the gold plating might be thinning. Anyhow, peace, enjoy your Trad as I do mine.

Oh yea, it bothers me a lot. But I will be putting a small dab of wood putty in the holes. Should clean that up nicely.

The main reason I did it was because I like the tuners on my Custom so much. This is my experimental guitar, so far I've replaced the PuPs from the 57s to a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, 500k pots (coil tapped) and now the tuners. I will likely change out the bridge for a Tone Pro Locking Bridge and Stop Bar, then eventually the nut. This is the sweetest player I have. Absolutely perfect intonation up and down the neck, and the guitar is a natural D. Pretty amazing guitar.

Oh yea, it bothers me a lot. But I will be putting a small dab of wood putty in the holes. Should clean that up nicely.

The main reason I did it was because I like the tuners on my Custom so much. This is my experimental guitar, so far I've replaced the PuPs from the 57s to a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, 500k pots (coil tapped) and now the tuners. I will likely change out the bridge for a Tone Pro Locking Bridge and Stop Bar, then eventually the nut. This is the sweetest player I have. Absolutely perfect intonation up and down the neck, and the guitar is a natural D. Pretty amazing guitar.

Awesome. That pickup/pot combo is the same setup that I have on my Parker Fly Mojo. I absolutely love the tone of that guitar altough I've always wondered what that combo would sound like on an LP. I imagined that it would sound fuller and warmer as there is much more heft behind the LP. Can you describe the tone of this current combo vs. the stock setup?

I just picked up a Traditional Pro and really like the locking tuners on it. I'm also really enjoying the coil taps on the 57 and BB it came with another cool option on a guitar. looks like you just built your own Traditional Pro all thats left to do now is strip the neck and satin finish on the back.

Thanks - I know a lot of people don't like to hang guitars but it sure is convenient in the studio to be able to grab whatever you want plus I really like the look also

As for wallspace and not having enough you have to remember there's four walls in most rooms. I also change out whats hanging on a regular basis since I own quite a few guitars also...

:-

Awesome. That pickup/pot combo is the same setup that I have on my Parker Fly Mojo. I absolutely love the tone of that guitar altough I've always wondered what that combo would sound like on an LP. I imagined that it would sound fuller and warmer as there is much more heft behind the LP. Can you describe the tone of this current combo vs. the stock setup?

I was a bit apprehensive at first about installing them on a Lester; mainly because I could not find very many videos on Youtube. I mainly play Classic Rock, so it's got a great tone for some Zep, Scorpions are right on, Motley Crue, Ratt, Dokken, and Def Leopard are very close but I attribute the tonal difference to my amp. And believe it or not, with the neck in single mode, volume down to around 2 (on the guitar) and tone at 6, I am able to get a pretty fair Green Day American Idiot sound, not exact but close. Hope this helps, I love the 57s that she came with, but I was after more of an 80s tone.

Oh yea' date=' it bothers me a lot. But I will be putting a small dab of wood putty in the holes. Should clean that up nicely.

The main reason I did it was because I like the tuners on my Custom so much. This is my experimental guitar, so far I've replaced the PuPs from the 57s to a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, 500k pots (coil tapped) and now the tuners. I will likely change out the bridge for a Tone Pro Locking Bridge and Stop Bar, then eventually the nut. This is the sweetest player I have. Absolutely perfect intonation up and down the neck, and the guitar is a natural D. Pretty amazing guitar.[/quote']

OK, yeah... at first I was thinking, ouch, mod-ing such an amazing instrument and leaving those holes showing. But if it's a real player instrument then I can understand. For the record the extra holes would bug me! I'm an engineer though so exactness is in my blood -- both a blessing and a curse!!! LMAO

Hi, I think I’m missing something. Why did you change the Klusons for a set of Grover locking tuners? Was the guitar not staying in tune? What size and type of strings do you use? Are you hard on the strings? Do you do a lot of bends? As far as wanting more sustain, have you considered thicker gauge strings? You also mentioned a JB and a Tone Zone, have you considered string pull? String pull obviously kills sustain. I hope you do not mind all the questions, but I am missing a lot.

Hey Silverbursted!

I noticed in another post you mentioned that you suffer from O.C.D. Just wondering if those extra holes don't bother you? No offense intended, just me as I really do suffer from O.C.D. in everyway. Today I had to replace a stop bar because it seemed as though the gold plating might be thinning. Anyhow, peace, enjoy your Trad as I do mine.

You hit the nail on the head!....I HATE those screw holes....My Klusons are just fine.

So' date=' did you have to drill Angelina to fit those?[/quote']

Not at all, reaming was not required and the screws lined right up (except for the top one). The top screw hole is now filled in with wood putty and a drop of furniture stain, can't even tell there was ever a hole there.

Whatever turns you on' date=' but I like the look of the Klusons better. JMHO.[/quote']

So let me ask you this...If you had a high end Custom (Michael Bloomfield 1959 or Jeff Beck Ox Blood), would you replace the Grovers that come standard on those with Klusons?

I'm an engineer though so exactness is in my blood -- both a blessing and a curse!!! LMAO

I know what you mean; I'm an Experimental Test Pilot so precision is definitely in my blood, but I'm not afraid to try something a bit out of the ordinary just to see if it will work better.

COOL! I replaced my LP Custom's standard Grover tuners to Grover locking tuners. I mainly did it because it makes string changes so much easier. The only thing is my Grovers are the auto-locking unlike yours which have the thumbwheel. I would prefer the thumbwheel version, but those didn't come out until I had already purchased the auto-locking tuners. It's to bad that the tuners weren't a little bigger, then they could have covered the holes with no problem.

Staying in tune has never been an issue. I have been using .09s' date=' but I do bend quite a bit, so I've moved back to .10s. What do you mean "String Pull"?[/quote']

String pull comes from the installed pickups on any guitar and the more powerful the pickup’s magnets, the more string pull the pickups have. Remember, a guitar’s strings vibrate and the guitar pickups pickup this vibration, so the more powerful the pickup magnets, the more the pickups pull on the guitar strings. Think of it as a vibrating metal wire over a magnet, where eventually the magnet is going to force the vibrating wire to stop vibrating and bring the metal wire to a dead stop because of the magnetic properties of the magnet against the metal wire. This is string pull and it is where the magnet forces the strings to stop vibrating. All electric guitars have this issue, some just more than others. Factors that can account for sting pull are: pickup strength, pickup height, gauge of strings, etc.

BTW, your guitar does look sharp and it sounds like you did a wonderful job on it – good for you. As far as string gauge, you mention you are now using tens, up from nines. Have you ever tried elevens? I think everybody who owns a Gibson should try elevens because you will not believe how full of sound and tone your guitar will sound. What amps are you using?

Archived