Gibson Brands Forums

Soldering and lugs......Please answer

Andre S

I want to put in APH-1's and a coil tap. But explain to me:

1. Do I need more to have two push pull pots one for each pickup?

2. If you are supposed to use one pot, do the wires for the other pickup connect to the three set of lugs?

3. Do the control switch wires need to be connected to the push pull pot?

4. Do I have to connect the wires, in the seymour duncan wiring diagram for the split coil to the same lugs as they put it on the diagram?

5. If I want to install the pickups without coil tapping can I just solder the new wires to the same places on the back of the pots and to the same lug as the factory pickup wires?

Thanks

There are a lot of ways to do 4-conductor type pickup combinations. You are limited by how much "modding" you can do. Are your P-P pots DPDT? You mention a control switch, is this the P-P pot, or seperate DPDT? A 4-con. pickup can be two seperate pickups and if wired right with the other will still "buck" hum.

I want to put in APH-1's and a coil tap. But explain to me:

1. Do I need more to have two push pull pots one for each pickup?

2. If you are supposed to use one pot, do the wires for the other pickup connect to the three set of lugs?

3. Do the control switch wires need to be connected to the push pull pot?

4. Do I have to connect the wires, in the seymour duncan wiring diagram for the split coil to the same lugs as they put it on the diagram?

5. If I want to install the pickups without coil tapping can I just solder the new wires to the same places on the back of the pots and to the same lug as the factory pickup wires?

1. Not necessarily if you have a DPDT push pull pot; although having two will allow for individual tapping of each pickup.

2. Same wiring as the first pickup; I recommend 2 for versatility and less confusion.

3. Not sure what you mean, however if you follow the Seymour Duncan diagram you can't go wrong.

4. Yes. It works.

5, Sure, as long as you've got the right leads going where they are suppose to go. Every manufacturer has their own particular color code for wires.

I followed the SD diagram for 2 hums, 2 push/pulls to the "T" and all went well. In the end, the taps worked fine although I found that I don't use the feature much as the single coil mode produced hum and I really prefer the warm fat tone of a HB.

Archived