Gibson Brands Forums

les paul classic - chambered body

reiko5150

I'm not saying that they sound bad' date=' I'm just saying that they sound different. And god I miss my 70s Les Paul. I would change my custom LP, BC Riches, amps, car, FX, and even my goddamn home (if my wife lets me) for that guitar if I ever find the guy who stole it. [b']Or kill him[/b].

Pretty sad about your les paul. Hope you find it some day.

A guy was selling me a chambered LP and had lent it to me so I could check her out. She sounded nice in my home but when I went to rehearse and really had to use high volume (to compete with drums' date=' 400 watt bass player and another guitarist) the LP gave me a real hard time with feedback which is why I didn't buy her. Ofcourse that we were playing metal which needed a lot of distortion, there wouldn't be a problem with a blues outfit. I can't say that all chambered LPs sound like that, maybe it was the pickups.[/quote']

I can't imagine how the chambered body of a guitar can lead to such feedback problems. But then again i am no expert on that field. However i used to have the same problem with a solid body guitar and after i replaced the pickups, things were fine, even in high distortion settings.

The weight-relieved instruments should be similar in weight to the instruments coming out of the 'Custom-Shop' solid-bodies and in my experience this has invariably been the case. The chambered LP's I've played, however, were considerably lighter.

Your own personal preference is the only factor that can decide which 'feel' best suits you. If possible try the different instruments out strapped-on, as the balance of the chambered instruments is very different from the others; especially if Grovers are fitted.

As always when buying any instrument if you really like it then it's the right one for you and if you really don't then it isn't - regardless of whether it's an Epi or a Jimmy Page re-issue.

crossroadsnyc' date=' ever notice that when I say something against chambering there's a happy face or a laughing smiley next to it? That means it's a joke.

I said the Traditional has the worst of both worlds. A non-solid body AND short neck tenon.

At least the new Standard has long neck tenon. Has nothing to do with me buying a CR8. I also had a BFG (oh look, another chambered Les Paul) for a while, in case you didn't know.

By the way, I had a 2006 Standard. It was weight-relieved, not chambered...and yes, it felt and sounded like a piece of sh*t after playing a Custom Shop guitar. Care to start your little rant over again now?

Max, I've read that chambered guitars are more prone to feedback but my chambered Les Paul does not. Neither did my BFG.

Wow Are nine you just said Anything but a "Custom Shop" from Gibson "Sounds like a Piece of Sh#t, Man.=D>

Should we all just save for and not buy anything else but Custom Shop's?

O.K. Guitar junkie, Dude. I'll spell it out For-ya, so try and Keep up. If you fall behind, it's in print and you can read it over and over until you get.

Read up above his post that I Quoted and go back a Few post's and Read how he also States weight-relieved Model's (Such as the Traditional Pro are the worst), they are made with substandard-wood and have a Short neck tenon.

Hmm maybe no should buy anything in the Les Paul line-up made after the Norlin Era, Except a Custom Shop?

Substandard wood not meeting Gibson's weight Requirement's. Meaning I don't Know, maybe too Heavy and without the Holes Drilled in it, it would be Firewood. Or they can not use-em for Chambering, I don't Know, Exactly.

Anyways Are nine if your reading this: Don't mean to Flame-ya and I respect-ya, but WTF. You have Been like a

encyclopediaof Knowledge with all model's with-in the Gibson Line-up and I love all your High End Models,

but your not saying that all but the High-End Model's from Gibson are the only ones worth owning, Are-ya-Are-nine.

Well I have 2008 Gold Top Classic and it rocks!!!

I may get a little feedback when I have my Bogner and Boogie cranked past 8 and I stop playing, but hey that's what it's all about. Mine sounds ssswwweeeeeettttt! I couldn't be happier (my back & shoulder concur).

DSCN2094.jpg

Respectfully,

Mark

Substandard wood not meeting Gibson's weight Requirement's. Meaning I don't Know' date=' maybe too Heavy and without the Holes Drilled in it, it would be Firewood. Or they can not use-em for Chambering, I don't Know, Exactly.[/quote']

Meaning not meeting weight requiments.

Chambering is a new thing, they've been doing the weight-relief holes for close to 30 years.

not saying that all but the High-End Model's from Gibson are the only ones worth owning' date=' Are-ya-Are-nine.[/quote']

No, I just meant it's like playing a $2,000 Gibson then a $99 Epiphone or driving and old Cuda and then hoping into a Civic.

Sweet gold top, jeffbeck.

No' date=' I just meant it's like playing a $2,000 Gibson then a $99 Epiphone or driving and old Cuda and then hoping into a Civic.

Sweet gold top, jeffbeck.[/quote']

A Cuda is a Muscle Car, made with a Big Motor with lots of Horsepower with no Gas Mileage to speak of

and the Civic is small/light with no Horsepower and get Great Gas Mileage.

You can't compare the two and nobody ever Does, nor should you.

And you Were not. You Compared $2,500 Gibson to a $5,000 Gibson.

Apples to Apples== Traditional Pro to Custom Shop.

According to you= The short tenon and weight Relieved Body Construction

Are Pieces of Sh#t, Compared to

a long Tenon and a non weight relieved Soild Body.

I'm pushing this to prove a point. You sir have obviously have spent Thousands with Gibson

and have had many of both, to share an honest opinion.

But when your caught having a Moment, you do not stand behind your convictions.

So I say it again for-ya.

Once you play a soild and I mean Soild Body with a Long Tenon Les Paul,

Everything Else becomes Crap

Sweet gold top' date=' jeffbeck.[/quote']

Thanks folks, I've only had her a few weeks and I didn't know anything about chambered bodies and such when I picked her up. All I know is that she was the best sounding Paul in the shop (honestly), and I was tickled that it was lighter in weight than the others I tried. I plugged her into a Marshall at the shop and right away I had that sweet Michael Schenker tone and the price was right. The only problem now is with this being the first Paul I've had the honor to own, I think now I've contracted "the Paul disease" because now I want another one so I can keep one tuned downed a half step. There are so many to chose from but I'll be a little better educated when I'm ready to buy my next one. Of course trusting your gut and your ears is usually safe practice in my experience. I'll probably be making some ignorant queries in the coming days I hope you folks don't mind me stealing some of your wisdom.

Respectfully,

Mark

Thanks folks' date=' I've only had her a few weeks and I didn't know anything about chambered bodies and such when I picked her up. All I know is that she was the best sounding Paul in the shop (honestly), and I was tickled that it was lighter in weight than the others I tried. I plugged her into a Marshall at the shop and right away I had that sweet Michael Schenker tone and the price was right. The only problem now is with this being the first Paul I've had the honor to own, I think now I've contracted "the Paul disease" because now I want another one so I can keep one tuned downed a half step. There are so many to chose from but I'll be a little better educated when I'm ready to buy my next one. Of course trusting your gut and your ears is usually safe practice in my experience. I'll probably be making some ignorant queries in the coming days I hope you folks don't mind me stealing some of your wisdom.

Respectfully,

Mark[/quote']

Once the bug gets you you’re done for. All of my electrics are LPs, always have been since my first. not saying all others are bad, just not for me. I have a classic w/ burstbuckers I keep in standard tuning, a Special Junior w/ P90’s in standard. A Custom I keep ½ step down and a Menace I keep a whole step down. Love them all.

"Caught having a moment." What the heck does that mean?

Look' date=' if you're talking about that one time (I can't stress that enough, [u']one time[/u]) I was caught peeking through my neighbor's window with my hand down my pants, I can explain...O:)

That was You!!!

You dirty rat!

Peace,

Mark

Archived