Gibson Brands Forums

Explain this to me...please

Andre S

What is the difference between an acoustic pickup and the LR Baggs T Bridge. I want to use a regular acoustic pikcup on my les paul to an acoustic amp. Why is this not a good idea, according to other answerers?? Shouldnt this work?

Aren't acoustic pickups specially designed to work in an acoustic guitar and not an electric?

As far as the amp goes' date=' I've played a Tele out of a 20W acoustic Ibanez amp and it sounded amazing, so theoretically no worries there.[/quote']

Thanks, for your reply, unfortunately, it seems hardly anyone has done the T-Bridge mod or with any acoustic pickup. It doesnt matter though, I'll try the acoustic pickup idea, cos I have an acoustic I can always add it too if the electric idea doesnt work out. I;ll definitely put up pics and info when i finished, sometime between June and August, it will be finished. Got other mods to do first

Aren't acoustic pickups specially designed to work in an acoustic guitar and not an electric?

No, the LR Baggs T Bridge, and the very similar Fishman Tune-O-Matic Powerbridge, as well as the Shadow Electronics NanoMag are all acoustic pickups designed for use on an electric guitar.

These types of pickups are engineered with wide range sensitivity and are able to pickup the acoustic overtones produced by the strings and body of the instrument, providing a very acoustical sound and tone. The LR Baggs and Fishman products use a saddle pickup system much like they use in an acoustic guitar where they pick up the vibrations under the saddle. The NanoMag sits at the end of the neck and picks up the string and body vibrations there. There's a lot to install for these setups. You probably should have a pro do it for you.

The T-Bridge/Control-X (switch/mix/volume) and Tune-O-Matic Powerbridge/Powerchip (switch/mix/volume) combos are similar to the acoustic pickup found on Gibson's Dark Fire. The NanoMag can be found on the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. Check you local stores to see if they've got one of the Dark Fire or LP Ultra II models to play. I checked out the Dark Fire and ended up purchasing an Epi LP Ultra II. It's impressive technology.

I havent found one acoustic pickup that I like. The closest I have come is the Lapatrie classical. It not only has

a pickup in the bridge, but a microphone just inside the sound hole. Sounds very full with a nice bass response.

Archived