Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio

marcbc

Very nice guitars. They lack some of the smaller details such as binding, but it's still a Gibson Les Paul. I will say, however, that if you are skeptical about wanting things like binding (meaning you are on the fence), then I'd likely suggest skipping the Studio phase and jump directly into something you know you'll want to have down the line. There are countless people I've seen over the years start with a Studio only to be somewhat disappointed (from a visual standpoint) and eventually move on to something else ... at the same time, I can't recall an instance where someone had bought, say for example a Standard, and then found themselves disappointed in some way and moved on to a Studio. Never the less, a Studio is a great guitar and as in no way whatsoever inferior to anything else in the USA line.

Very nice guitars. They lack some of the smaller details such as binding' date=' but it's still a Gibson Les Paul. I will say, however, that if you are skeptical about wanting things like binding (meaning you are on the fence), then I'd likely suggest skipping the Studio phase and jump directly into something you know you'll want to have down the line. There are countless people I've seen over the years start with a Studio only to be somewhat disappointed (from a visual standpoint) and eventually move on to something else ... at the same time, I can't recall an instance where someone had bought, say for example a Standard, and then found themselves disappointed in some way and moved on to a Studio. Never the less, a Studio is a great guitar and as in no way whatsoever inferior to anything else in the USA line. [/quote']

I would add your skill level and dedication to this. I have noticed a lot of people asking questions here the same as you are asking, but in the end, only the person asking the question can decide what purchase is right for them. I do not know your skill level or dedication, so a studio might be a good choice, but then again, it might not. For instance, maybe an Epiphone might be better for you, or maybe a full blown Gibson Standard is what you need. While the Epiphone line is not a professional line, it is not junk either, so it fits nicely at an intermediate level. If you are dedicated, and plan to stay dedicated, I would advise spending what you think you are going to need. However, spending big and loosing your dedication only wastes money and your expensive purchase stays in a closet or under a bed when you could have used that money for something else. In the end, what do you want and what do you think you will need, and will you have the dedication for your purchase?

Well, when I got mine last year, I knew that I would want a better one later on, before I bought it. But I also figured that I would not leave it stock, electronically, for long. It didnt make sense to me to pay 2000 + for a guitar I was going to mod. For my studio wine red, I changed balck parts to creme and amber, and swapped pups (soon) and plan to add a meddley of other things.

However I have to say that if I were planning to buy a Les Paul Studio where al except the black gold are $1319 and the black is $1199 then I would seriously have to consider the Gibson SG standard, whose price is $1199.

It has binding and the same pickup combo. If youre hell bent on a studio get it, I think its worth it, unless you plan to leave it stock, as it might not suit you. But check out the standard SG, its cheaper than the studio and it is more visually appealing unless you dont like that shape.

Good points made re: "extras" that are nixed for a Studio vs. Standard, etc. Being the proud owner of an '07 Les Paul Studio Premium Plus AAA Flametop Natural (purchased new in Feb '09) & an '05 Ebony Custom - I can give you the two sides in a unique way.

I came across the flametop Studio on accident - it was on clearance & was 1/3 of the "out the door price" ... couldn't pass it up. So pricing is something to factor in. If you have ever flirted with a PRS - the Studio is a good call: its a bit thinner & definitely lighter than a Standard, but is a Gibby!. Quite a few of my guitar idols favor LP Customs - Steve Stevens, Zakk Wylde, John Sykes - the neck on the Studio is more comfortable to my hands after playing for 20 yrs !! (weight of the two is not a concern) ...

I'd say try one out, take the time to go in a quiet room - tune her up, and listen. Gauge how comfortable it feels. This goes for any guitar, really. Also, don't mistake a poorly set up guitar for a "poor" guitar ! =;

The main deal I went for a Studio rather than a Standard was the Studio has an Alnico II in the neck & an Alnico V in the arse end.

The neck pup's not as hot so you can get a great blues/jazz sound whereas the the bridge pup is an animal if you want her to be.

Cosmectically wise it's up to you but my Fireburst/Gold Plated (now discontinued) looks pretty much the dogs doo-dah's as far as I'm concerned...

I'm really impressed by some of the people that are on here. Just to say I have a Les Paaul XRIII which is just like the Studio. It was made in 1982 and the Studio was started in 1983. To compare it with a Standard it's just the same except for all the cosmetics. I love mine and its sounds the same as all the others except it did not cost $5000. It's really what you want. Picture041.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture045.jpg

the Studio is an excellent choice. i bought one because it was the only LP i could afford at the time (Gibson). It wasnt until 11 years later when i got out of school and joined these forums did my lust for more expensive models develop. :-)

I'm really impressed by some of the people that are on here. Just to say I have a Les Paaul XRIII which is just like the Studio. It was made in 1982 and the Studio was started in 1983. To compare it with a Standard it's just the same except for all the cosmetics. I love mine and its sounds the same as all the others except it did not cost $5000. It's really what you want. Picture041.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture045.jpg

I want your guitar so bad [-X

If you are dedicated' date=' and plan to stay dedicated, I would advise spending what you think you are going to need. However, spending big and loosing your dedication only wastes money and your expensive purchase stays in a closet or under a bed when you could have used that money for something else. In the end, what do you want and what do you think you will need, and will you have the dedication for your purchase?[/quote']

I completely agree with that way of thinking and this is why I have started saving up money for a Studio, I think it will be worth it (it may be a cheap Les Paul but it's NOT cheap!!) and I wouldn't want to spend so much money to hide this fine guitar under my bed! I think we should consider carefully where to put our money, unless someone in here is a millionaire and doesn't have that problem =P~

Archived