Gibson Brands Forums

A new thread - differences...

Luap

Ooooooooooooooo Keeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Gibson '61 Reissue - Nashville Factory Production Model - Mahogany Body, '57 Classic Pickups.

Basically it's made alongside all the other Solid-Body production model Gibsons i.e. SG Specials/STD, Les Paul Studio/Trad/STD. It's a great guitar and not a whole lot more expensive than the SG Standard.

Gibson Custom Shop SG Standard Reissue - Nashville Custom Shop Model - Mahogany Body, Burstbucker 1 & 2 Pickups, Bumblebee Caps.

Custom Shop made alongside the other Reissues i.e. '56-'60 Les Pauls, Les Paul Customs and such. This model has a nice glossy finish but the colour is a more 'vintage' cherry than the Heritage Cherry that '61 Reissue SG comes in for instance.

Gibson Custom Shop SG Standard Reissue VOS & These Ones Also - Basically the same guitar as the other Custom Shop SG Standard above but has been given the 'Vintage Original Spec' treatment. Aged slightly to look like a well looked after vintage guitar. These 2 links are the exact same the instrument but in different colours. Gibson only advertise the Faded Cherry model but the TV Yellow & Classic White are probably listed as another instrument and are more expensive because they're probably a Limited Run.

the USA one is high quality just not custom shop quality. To be honest I've played many regular production models that felt a lot better than custom shop ones. It depends on what you prefer. The USA 61' ri is be no means whatsoever low quality.

Has the USA '61 the same basic vintage model where it is based on as the other models I mentioned? I should not feel fine if my guitar would be available exactly the same but then a lot better...

The SG Standard is a fine guitar.

The VOS may be made a little better in some ways, but I doubt you could tell the difference except for the finish.

I never liked the idea of paying somebody to make my guitar look old for me.

The SG 61 is an incredible guitar, many differences between it and the others.

One piece body, slimmer neck for better high fret access, 57 Classics, different horn shape/bevels.

THAT is the one to get in my opinion, and I've owned several SG's.

The Custom/Historic Reissue stuff is nice, but is it worth the money?

Not to me, the SG 61 is everything I want and need in an SG.

If you can afford a Custom, then get it!

You can easily afford a 61 later....

:-)

The SG 61 is an incredible guitar' date=' many differences between it and the others.

One piece body, slimmer neck for better high fret access, 57 Classics, different horn shape/bevels.

[/quote']

I was just looking at a new '61 and it was clearly a two piece body. I also just saw the nicest new Standard I think I am likely to see with a one piece body and a beautiful neck.

Of the two I would have bought the standard.

Is the USA '61 reissue sort of just based on the 1961 standard' date=' where the Custom Historic and Custom VOS models are ment to be exact replicas?[/quote']

That's fairly accurate.

I wouldn't say the VOS or Historic is EXACT, Gibson never gets that close to the original.

There will be some minor differences a vintage pro could spot.

That's odd.

I've seen very few 61's that were not a single piece.

Almost as rare is a Standard that is one piece - it happens' date=' but not often.

[/quote']

I was able to look at them both at the same time and was showing a friend. If the standard was not one piece then the grains had been very well matched and the joint perfectly done (I still believe it was one piece). On the 61, there was a clear change in the grain direction but the joint had been well done. from memory I would say it was about 1/4 of the width in from the left hand side. I could not discern any other joint or grain changes so Id say it was a two piece.

the USA one is high quality just not custom shop quality. To be honest I've played many regular production models that felt a lot better than custom shop ones. It depends on what you prefer. The USA 61' ri is be no means whatsoever low quality.

I've also played a few '61RIs that I'd say were better than their Custom Shop counterpart. It's not always 'what you prefer'' date=' it's also the wood used on each individual guitar.

The VOS may be made a little better in some ways, but I doubt you could tell the difference except for the finish.

Several differences between the '61RI & '62RI. You probably haven't played one if you say you doubt you could tell the difference. It's like saying a Custom Shop Les Paul is the same as a Gibson USA Les Paul. When you're playing a CS guitar, you know you're playing a CS SG.

They're not all one-piece bodies. I've seen few two-piece '61RIs. I think it a more recent thing Gibson is doing to differentiate the '62RI. The '62RI also has a slim neck and the same neck joint as the '61.

What are the differences in tone between the Standard' date=' USA '61 reissue and the Custom Shop Standard VOS and Historic reissues?[/quote']

Difference in tone? Play them for yourself because they're quite different.

You'll hear a difference and you'll especially feel a difference when you go from a Gibson USA guitar to a Custom Shop guitar. You'll also hear/feel a difference when you go from a Standard to a '61RI. They'll all completely different animals. All are great, though. You really can't lose with any of them.

Many differences between the '61RI & '62RI. By '62RI, I mean the Custom Shop Standard.

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=19975

I see the '61 Reissue is the only SG with '57 Classic Humbuckers. Are they a lot better than the 490R and 498T Combination?

And what is the difference in sound with Burstbuckers? I don't have a chance to play a Custom Shop SG, I think I will compare the Standard and the '61 Reissue by the weekend..

That's odd.

I've seen very few 61's that were not a single piece.

Almost as rare is a Standard that is one piece - it happens' date=' but not often.

[/quote']

My 2007 Standard is one piece. It plays and sounds like a dream! Guess I got a rare one. 8-[

(At least a few years ago,) Custom shop SGs were plek'd while non Custom Shop SGs were not. That distinction may still apply but I am not completely certain. Plek'd frets are probably more consistent.

I see the '61 Reissue is the only SG with '57 Classic Humbuckers. Are they a lot better than the 490R and 498T Combination?

And what is the difference in sound with Burstbuckers? I don't have a chance to play a Custom Shop SG' date=' I think I will compare the Standard and the '61 Reissue by the weekend..[/quote']

BUMP:-({|= ...or should we make a new thread of this one?

or should we make a new thread of this one?

No' date=' you've been awfully pushy in this one so far - half the posts here are YOU demanding that everybody jumps through their *** to answer your questions.

People will get tired of seeing the same guy doing the

[b']BUMP![/b]

BUMP!

BUMP!

BUMP!

BUMP!

Calm down!

There's a lot of good information to be had from the people here, and the rest of the internet as well.

You may need to exercise a little patience and wait for them to come along and share with you.

If you really don't have time to wait because you're buying a guitar tomorrow, you sound like you're making a decision on impulse and there's no telling what you will eventually decide you like best.

I'm sure the Netherlands has a limited assortment of Gibsons to choose from, especially nice ones, so you are likely frustrated at your inability to compare them all yourself.

I get it.

So, what exactly do YOU want in an SG?

There's more than just a difference in the pickups between a Standard and 61.

The information was given already, but the neck joint on a 61 is at fret 22, while the Standard has it at fret 19.

The 61 has a slimmer neck as well as better upper fret access, so it may work better for lead players.

The 61 has 57 Classics in it, the best pickup Gibson makes in my opinion.

You ask about tone, how do you describe tone?

You have to listen to them as you play, decide for yourself.

If that's not possible, what songs do you like best or want to play that are recorded with an SG?

Find out which one they used....

If you can afford the Custom and Historic stuff, then GET ONE!

With that sort of money laying around, you can always buy a cheaper Standard later, eh?

If money is an issue, get the 61.

If you really can't afford it, then get the Standard - it's a damned fine guitar.

There's not THAT much difference in the tone of any of them, so make your decision based on what you prefer for playability and how much you can afford to spend.

Hope this helps.

And what is the difference in sound with Burstbuckers? I don't have a chance to play a Custom Shop SG' date=' I think I will compare the Standard and the '61 Reissue by the weekend..[/quote']

Axe posted a chart once or twice with specs on all/or most of the current production Gibson pickups.

As I recall the 490R and the 57Classics were almost identical.

I LOVE the '57 Classics, but also like the 498T in my daughters '08 Les Paul Studio.

Like Neo said, it's all in what you like.

I like the ceremics in my '79 "The SG" ..............sometimes. They can get pretty mean! But not for everyday use.

Best to ya.

Nah, we've simply played a lot of guitars over the years.

Judging from the black 335 you have, you know a thing or two about really nice guitars already.

I LOVE my 335, had it since 2002.

It will never sell.

Well, what are you thinking for an SG?

What are you most looking for?

Have you narrowed it down any?

Do you have any near you to compare?

I have no idea what the guitar market looks like in the Netherlands....

Archived