Gibson Brands Forums

budget les pauls

xxx_lionel_xxx

hey guys, which les paul( or any gibson model) model sould fit my style. I play blues, metal, (funk) hard rock, punk,...

i also play on drop tunings(only drop d, half step, and half step with drop d, and standard)....

also not so expensive but quality is good.

sorry for my bad english,,:D/

tnx for the help.........=D>=P~

It sounds to me like you are describing the Studio. They are very well made, and affordable. The 490R/498T pickups are just hot enough to go into full metal if you need it, but not so hot that they can't clean up nicely and provide a more vintage sound. A very versatile and affordable Gibson IMO.

The SG standard is a nice guitar, and can go from clean to metal, but its a little darker. I would suggest a LP studio or a vintage mahogany, and if you have the money, a standard faded or a standard. They are all quallity instruments and will make you happy for the rest of your life. Just play as many of them as you can, you sure will find the one that fits your style and requirements.

Pretty hard to narrow down when you say you play from chamber music to metal. That covers a lot of territory.

For blues you want 57 classicss or Burstbuckers, for metal you need high output ceramics.

The Budget model SG comes with the 490r anf 490t. The reissues with the 57 classics more vintage.

The buget LP in the faded mahogany comes with Burst buckers that are a lower output pickup more for blues and classic rock.

The LP Classic has the ceramic open coils good for all the high output stuff. The Studio has the 490, 498 Alnicos and they can go from blues to Screaming metal quite easily.

I would say your best bet would be the Studio, good looks, great sound and reasonable price. But I am a little bit biased.

i just played a firebird V for the first time this weekend. it has to be my favorite electric (other than the fender jaguar - i'd say those two are about tied). the mini humbuckers are GREAT for clean and distorted use. the neck, upper fret access and the body are awesome too. i would definitely try a firebird before buying it though because they are very different feeling compared to other guitars and the body shaped might be weird for some people. they are a bit pricey though (about 1600 U.S.)

i have a les paul vintage mahogany studio and i like it but it doesn't even compare to the firebird (i really wish i would have tried the firebird and saved a little longer and gotten it instead).

just try out all of the guitars you can (not just gibsons and play guitars out of your price range before buying any guitar because in the long run you might regret not saving a little longer for the more expensive guitar.

well if its a les paul you want, a couple that are under 1,000 are the Vintage Mahogany and the BFG. I havent tried the BFG but the Vintage Mahogany will probabley cover all your musical interests. Other Les Pauls in that Price range are the LP Menace, Vixen and Studio Faded which all have 490/498's in them so they should be able to cover your music too. As Far as SG goes, the Special Faded, Special Faded 3(humbuckers), Special w/ Jazz Pickguard, and Special all have dual 490's in them which can cover most of your music except they're not really great for metal. The SG menace has 490/498 so, like the LP Menace it should cover your tastes nicely. And then there's the SG Classic, with dual P90's, this guitar probabley is not for you, as the P90's are not meant for uber the distortion in a lot of the music you play.

Note: These are Just the guitars under $1,000. I got all the prices from MusiciansFriend.com

I would say your best bet would be the Studio' date=' good looks, great sound and reasonable price. But I am a little bit biased.[/quote']

If i had the studio in your avatar then i'd be biased too! (and not "a little bit"). Very good looking guitar, how does it sound and play?

what about sg' date=' explorer and firebird. what do u think about em.

sorry for my bd english[/quote']

SG's are great, in my opinion. But so are les pauls. The most budget SG you can get is the SG Special Faded for $699. It gives you a great AC/DC tone with the treble pickup and some distortion. If you set it on the middle you can get exactly Iommi's tone in Black Sabbath. And the rhythm is good for lightly distorted blues. SG's can cover lots of styles of music well, and they are easier on your back. The only bad thing I can say about the SG is how the neck is heavier than the body of the guitar, and if you let go of the SG's neck for a split second, the neck will fall to the ground. Les Pauls are wonderful for ANYTHING, but are heavier and more pricey than SG's. Really, I only bought my SG because I like the extremely fat neck (some people call SG's necks "baseball bat necks") and I like how light it is. Firebird's bodies look kind of small in pictures, but their bodies are enormous in reality, so, I never had too much of an interest of trying one. Explorers look kinda weird in my opinion, so I've stayed away from them, too. I really should try and Explorer and a Firebird, but I've never really wanted to.

I don't really plaý so much blues. I play hard rock' date=' clean tones and metal all the times. Blues is only 5% of my 100 & playing. However tnx for the help every one.

Im lucky that gibson here in Denmark is cheaper than there U.S.

tnx again ;)[/quote']

Woah, woah, woah..... cheaper than the U.S.? Really? I wouldn't imagine that happening, considering Gibsons are made in the U.S.....

I don't really plaý so much blues. I play hard rock' date=' clean tones and metal all the times. Blues is only 5% of my 100 & playing. However tnx for the help every one.

Im lucky that gibson here in Denmark is cheaper than there U.S.

tnx again +:-@[/quote']

AND the quality is good!!!

Archived