Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real SG.....

ascetik

Hello all,

I have an SG that i have had for years and was my first electric guitar. I am having trouble tracking down what kind of SG it is. Looking through blue books and searches online i have not been able to track down this type of SG. Here are the specs:

Build in 1986

2 humbuckers

dot inlays

never had a pick guard

grover tuners

3 knobs (two volume and one tone)

The gibson logo on headstock is gold painted and does not have any mother of perl on the headstock.

all hardware is silver plated

Mahogany body

ebony fretboard

the neck appears to be maple

White in color that has faded to a yellow.

Maybe it has been modified before i received it but it does not appear to have been repainted and all electronics are original.

Anyone know anything about this SG's??? i know its not a custom or standard... what is it?

I'll post a picture if need be.

Ahh i didn't know customer service could do that for you. It does have the serial number on the back of the headstock (thats how i know its an '86) and the Made in the USA all stamped into the back. Its seems genuine but again i have never seen this model anywhere else.

When i get home tonight i will post some pics. Currently though i am refinishing the guitar. I hated the yellow color that it has turned and want more or a wood grain stained look. So right now its a work in progress.

I'm also thinking of replacing the pickups with some p90's or the p90's that fit in the humbucker slots. What do you all think of the phat cat pickups from seymour duncan?

also would kinda like a bigsby on it but i think that would f#$k up the guitar too much. Any thoughts?

They don't have one like mine. I have not had a chance to post pic mainly cause i've started refinishing it. I just put the wood stain on last night and tonight i plan on spaying it with some lacquer or polyurethane

here it is now that the stain is on it. Don't know how much you can tell from these pics.

this one is just stain.

100_1443.JPG

100_1449.JPG

i wish i had taken a pic before i stripped it. I can't find any anywhere... grrrr.

You're not likely to affect the value any more than you already did by refinishing it.

I'm a fan of the Bigsby, so I say go for it.The cool thing is, because it never came with a pickguard, you can go with either the full guard or the original '61 style.

I'd go with a small guard and a Maestro vibrato.

Here's the full-length version...

63gibsgstd1.jpg

Or the short version (picture it with humbuckers)...

p1_uto1iq5wd_so.jpg

Yea i already ordered the half face pick guard mainly because i could not find a full face that would fit without modification. The fretboard is too close to the neck pickup.

BTW where would one pick up a Maestro. I have not seen them at any of the popular online music warehouses. Tried Guitar center, musicians friend and AMS... no luck

Here is my finally refinished 1986 gibson SG ... Special i think.

100_1461.JPG

Does any one think i would ruin it by putting a bigsby and a pickguard on it?

SICK MAN...yea thats a special, thats how they were made back then, the modern epiphone sg specials are modeled after that

yea i think i will definitely get the vibramate. Thanks! thats the first i have heard of those. I really didn't want to drill it for the bigsby. I also found this today pic today that is exactly like my guitar but they call it an SG special lite. I've never heard of a lite but apparently i have one.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-sg-special-lite-sold-1985-black#

p1_uivpqftgz_st.jpg

Archived