Gibson Brands Forums

Some Pick guards just over step there boundries.

Basshole

I just don't see the point, you aren't picking that wide to reach all the way up to the top of the top cut.

Put it this way, I like the SG with the smaller pickguard and not this batwing type thing they got now.

I like this model

72Pbass_pickguard_small.jpg

Just make the whole top face a giant pick guard

Think of the tone that giant pick guard creates...

You were probably kidding but I keep the pickguard screws on my Tele relatively loose (not really loose, but definitely not snug). A few months ago, I was adjusting the height of the pickups (gotta remove the pickguard to get to the neck pup screws) and, after I put the cover back on, I tightened down the screws nice and tight. After that, I immediately noticed the guitar reacting differently. Long story short, my Tele feels/sounds better with the pickguard not screwed down tightly.

Depends on the guitar... I like the bat wing SG pick guard over the smaller early pick guards...

Ew. The main reason why I would buy a 61 RI over any other SG is just to get the smaller pickguard. I hate the bat wing. Love my SG Jr.

sgj1.jpg

You were probably kidding but I keep the pickguard screws on my Tele relatively loose (not really loose' date=' but definitely not snug). A few months ago, I was adjusting the height of the pickups (gotta remove the pickguard to get to the neck pup screws) and, after I put the cover back on, I tightened down the screws nice and tight. After that, I immediately noticed the guitar reacting differently. Long story short, my Tele feels/sounds better with the pickguard not screwed down tightly.

[/quote']

Couldn't it have something to do with the pickup height adjustment, though?

I chose NO thinking we were talking about Les Pauls here - silly me!

:-)

The bass looks goofy with the pickguard, but will look like you lost the goofy pickguard with it off.

Then there are all the screw holes to contend with.

Putting the screws back in on a LP is one thing, but all around the body on a bass, especially with the finish shadow?

Kinda like a car with no hubcaps.

I keep the pickguard screws on my Tele relatively loose

You openly admit to having a screw loose, eh?

I like the big white pick guard more than the first black one. Some pick guards are also used to add art to the guitar and some times like the black guard it misses the point (imo). I am looking to put a mirror guard on the 770 from a different Iby guitar (jem series but out of production). I think it would be cool to see the stage lights bounce off; but that's just me...

Not just you at all' date=' compadre. This is what my old '69 famous Framus looked like prior to the cannibalization. I'd like to get back as close as possible to the original appearance with the restoration. Might update the elec. though. The gold mirror and tortoise-shell combo are stunning under lights.

[img']http://www.wutzdog-guitars.de/typo3temp/pics/64FramSt-Front_8acfa95230.jpg[/img]

Couldn't it have something to do with the pickup height adjustment' date=' though?[/quote']

I would have chalked it up to that, but loosening the screws a little made a difference and the guitar felt like it did before I ever took the pickguard off. I think what was happening is that there are five screws that hold down that pickguard and, by tightening them down too much, the pickguard material was dampening the body juuuust enough to make a difference. I'm not talking about anything dramatic, just enough for me to go "wtf?"

You openly admit to having a screw loose' date=' eh?

[/quote']

Dude, have you ever read any of the conversations that go on between me and AXE? I might be a bit out there, but I'm definitely not in any kind of self denial. =P~

Archived