Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio and Metal

marcbc

I am by no means a metal head but i do enjoy a lot of metallica's stuff. and i enjpy playing some songs of the black album. But this is not my everyday style i mostly play rock like Drive By Truckers black crowes springsteen rolling stone type of stuff do you guys thing the les paul studio un-modded is suited for both?

It will be fine. I used to use my LP Studio in a band playing Tool-style alt metal, it sounded great. I prefer the 490R/498T pickups to burstbuckers for all styles of rock music and have actually got a set on order to put in my LP Standard.

From all the guitars I have ever tried Les Paul is the most versatile. She works fine when I play Jazz, Blues, Rock, or Metal. I've played Death Metal and blues with the same Les Paul, the only thing she's missing is a Floyd Rose.

Now adays I prefer a BC Rich for metal, but a BC Rich ain't no good for a classic tone!

I can weigh in on this: yes for metal! My '07 LP Studio Premium Plus AAA Top is stock (minus pup covers - they took away from the beauty of the top) and it kills for metal (BLS, old 'tallica, Dimmu, AMEN, The Cult) and even lighter tunes where you don't need mega-overdrive (Black Crowes, Thin Lizzy, etc.). I run two pre-amps in my rig (ADA MP-1 & Soldano SP-77) and the latter is more tame with killer clean tone - the Studio shines on either! (I also have an '05 Ebony Custom which is stock for comparison, also). Cheers!

after pup removal:

CAM_0071.jpg

Taking her apart - check the thickness of that top - quality baby!!!!

CAM_0060.jpg

The guitar will easily go from Country to Metal with no problems' date=' sounds great on Seek and Destroy. The deciding factor really is the amp if it can take it.[/quote']

Any guitar sounds great with Seek and Destory...even your hello kitty guitar. If you want a good sound get the dirty finger pickups!

Yeah' date=' the Studio with its 490R/498T pickups is great for all kinds of rock. The only thing some shredders might have a problem with is the kinda thick 50s neck. [/quote']

I play mostly metal and I prefer the 50's neck. I don't know why, but 50's necks have always just felt natural to me, the 60's necks just make me uncomfortable and make the guitar feel like a toy. Anyway, I think that Studios would definatley be good for metal, I have a Standard with Burstbuckers, and the 490R/498T are higher output pickups then mine, so it might sound even better.

Archived