Gibson Brands Forums

Got my Les Paul aged!!

nicolasrivera

Maybe it's just me, but no one has ever asked me what a dent is from... which is good, because I don't have funny stories to go with any dents, either, I just have painful memories of me being an idiot - raising a headstock into a ceiling fan or lifting an un-latched case.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice job but I prefer the time method my self' date=' 30 years or so should do it.[/quote']

Trust me, five years of road gigs will do the trick. I did it to two of them. The difference for me was that when they got too funky I sold them off for new ones.

What do ya mean? Those are funny' date=' I watched my SG doing a slo-mo leaning against a amp and the amp got nudged, then the guitar took like 30 minutes to fall to the ground (not really 30 minutes but like in a movie with slo-mo and me screaming noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo). I was lucky no major damage but a dent in the head stock and one hell of a funny story to tell others when they want a example of what not to do. But the fan thing is a first.....[/quote']

haha, yep, dude threw a guitar slide at me once, got a nice ding from that one, nothing ever gets trown at me in the jam house anymore thats for sure

What do ya mean? Those are funny' date=' I watched my SG doing a slo-mo leaning against a amp and the amp got nudged, then the guitar took like 30 minutes to fall to the ground (not really 30 minutes but like in a movie with slo-mo and me screaming noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo). I was lucky no major damage but a dent in the head stock and one hell of a funny story to tell others when they want a example of what not to do. But the fan thing is a first.....[/quote']

haha, yep, dude threw a guitar slide at me once, got a nice ding from that one, nothing ever gets thrown at me in the jam house anymore thats for sure

nothing wrong with aging. many of us will never get to play gigs in smokey bars and batter our axes on the road. aging is the next best thing. i will admit that i have left my R9 outside in single digit temps trying to get her to check. of course weather checking, whether intentional or unintentional, looks a lot better than the razor method.

I don't get it, not at all.

I never understood acid-washed jeans in the eighties either.

No criticism, no insults, no harm intended, but I do NOT understand the fake "aging" stuff.

Not even when Tom Murphy does it.

Faded, Worn, Satin, Relic, whatever marketing buzzwords you choose - I think it's stupid.

To back my argument, try this scenario;

We meet at a gig or some sort of gathering and you tell me you have a Les Paul for sale.

Sing its praises, tell me how great it plays and sounds, and you only want $1,000 for it.

Okay, you have my attention and I want to check it out.....

So then you show me the guitar with a smile.....

I don't want it.

Not even for $500.

I consider the finish ruined, and to repair it would cost WAY more than the guitar will ever sell for.

And I have no desire to own a guitar that looks like that - not even a real '59.

No deal.

I'm sure somebody else will buy it, but it won't come to my house.

I don't get it' date=' not at all.

I never understood acid-washed jeans in the eighties either.

No criticism, no insults, no harm intended, but I do NOT understand the fake "aging" stuff.

Not even when Tom Murphy does it.

Faded, Worn, Satin, Relic, whatever marketing buzzwords you choose - I think it's stupid.

To back my argument, try this scenario;

We meet at a gig or some sort of gathering and you tell me you have a Les Paul for sale.

Sing its praises, tell me how great it plays and sounds, and you only want $1,000 for it.

Okay, you have my attention and I want to check it out.....

So then you show me the guitar with a smile.....

I don't want it.

Not even for $500.

I consider the finish ruined, and to repair it would cost WAY more than the guitar will ever sell for.

And I have no desire to own a guitar that looks like that - not even a real '59.

No deal.

I'm sure somebody else will buy it, but it won't come to my house.

[/quote']

Interesting you took the time to write all that in this thread with a topic you know you will never get, thanks any ways.

nicolasrivera, I'm in the "I wouldn't do that to my guitar" camp but I'm not going to bash relicing or ask why you'd do that. Glad to hear you suited your Les Paul to your likings. It looks sweet. Actually, I think the colour on it is better now than it was before.

Killer shot !! ](*,)

Mesa-LSS-and-LP.jpg

First I give you credit for having the stones to start that when you knew you couldn't come back after beginning.

Secondly, I like the finish much better than before when it looked like a newer, cheaper, cookie cutter finish.

Thirdly, I too want to know who did the Pickups and what it cost? And any sound clips even just the after?

Next, I would have subjected finish to temp extremes to check it but who cares how if it's what you wanted.

Also, another benefit is, you don't have to worry about getting the first (or any) dings in it - Rock On!

Lastly, you mentioned in the original post that you can't stop playing it! I don't care if you rub a dead fish on your guitar or have it blessed by a aboriginy shaman, or cover it with velvet (nobody steal this cool idea) ALL that matters is that you play it more. If that's the case - NICE JOB!

I think it looks pretty cool.

For everyone suggesting to do it "naturally" by exposing it to temperature extremes, it doesn't work anymore. For the past 10 years or so, the formula Gibson uses for their nitro is a lot more flexible and won't crack even with extreme temperature shifts. A few guys on another forum unsuccessfully tried putting it in the freezer or outdoors in a canadian winter, then bringing it in to a very warm room.

i personally think it looks great. to each his own, alot of people think aging is ridiculous especially to a new $2500-4000 guitar but whatever, THEY dropped that kind of dough to have it, not us, right? if someone bought a brand new escalade and put a freaking lime green paint job on it, it's their preference (yes, some guy here in my city has one). if they took a razor to my guitar on the otherhand, someone's getting their forehead punched. but honestly, the job was well done and i like it.

"falling from the amp" story? ...definitely a yes. i think i ran a mile trying to get to my guitar before it hit, and fan thing? def not a first for me haha but not with the LP.

For those of you who don't understand why people do this:

Most people don't "age" their guitars, just because to get the look, they do it because of the fact that, they will NEVER in a million years, be able to afford a real vintage instrument (specifically vintage LPs), and even if it is "fake mojo", we can still dream, can't we? Yes, I do admit that, some people go "a little" overboard with it, but when done right, it can look very natural, and broken in.

Maybe so and it might be for some people but just not for me; when you get down to it and people ask about the guitar and they will ask; your artificial MOJO is gone when the aging process is from razor blades' date=' acid wash and a little old man down the road who did it for ya. I love a shinny guitar and the only aging process that is Das Scheisse is the yellowing of the binding and other plastic parts.

But again its just me and it obvious the person who does is happy or better be because I do stand to this statement. They have taken years off of this guitar because the aging process does damage to everything not just the parts you see.[/quote']It depends on how "old" you want your guitar to look. I actually like the look of a dulled finish, not faded and checked, just dulled. And I really don't think that there would be anymore "damage" happening to a guitar due to artificial aging, than there would be from natural aging, if anything, it would be less, because, look at what a "naturally aged" guitar has to go through, to look the way it does.

nicolasrivera, I'm happy to hear how much you enjoy your guitar. I certainly wouldn't choose to 'age' my own instrument artificially but as you prefer yours like that then it's perfectly OK. The enjoyment derived from playing it is far more important than what cosmetic treatments have been meted out, IMHO.

Just a couple of points, however.

magnets got faded to a vintage lowered magnetism and the bobbins got unwounded to a specific reading from a original 1959 PAF

First; According to the Vice President of the main US supplier of Alnico magnets - "Alnico is the most corrosion resistant, stable magnet material available today...we're talking about changes of less than 0.1% over a decade. Basically, if we had a magnet that had been sitting in a box since 1967 we wouldn't expect it to be any different today than the day it was made".

Secondly; What resistance reading did you choose as being 'real'? In a sample of just six original 1959 bursts (and, hence, 12 PAF's) ToneQuestReport in April 2008 got readings of between 6.48K to 9.70K. There is a lot more to tone than resistance readings. If you are interested as to which PAF's sounded the best..........

Take care of your Klusons (I see you are resting your guitar on the G peg) - they bend. Then again, it might look more 'historically accurate' with the G and D tuners bent!

Archived