Gibson Brands Forums

Got my Les Paul aged!!

nicolasrivera

That's a great one James' date=' I bet between all here; to include the younger guys there are some wild stories..

Speaking of.

A buddy of mine came to check out the band when I lived in Ct and he was from Ohio. They drove in and the gig was in the back country of CT (yes Ct has some really back roads in the woods) and my buddy caught two of the three sets. So they decided to go home (back to my place). My g-friend offered to ride with them to make sure they get home ok; but they were its cool nothing to worry about. I go home after our after gig Denny's breakfast and I was somewhat drunk (but not driving). When I go to bed like that almost nothing can wake me. When we got home my buddy and his party was not there, I went to bed. Around 6 am I hear loads of banging and what sounds like wood breaking. Well my buddy was trying to get in the house/apartment and since I did not hear him and he was drunk he decided to take my door off the hinges. Well he managed to tear up the door frame and loads of damage. I was so pissed at him and the first words out of Calvins mouth was, while your pissed right now this is something your going to laugh about years from now. And I do laugh about it now, he offered to pay for the damage done but I made more money than he did so I paid to have it repaired. Kinda guitar story, more of a after gig story. Going to hook up with Calvin in August to see how much damage I can do to his place. Also he has invited me to play one of his gigs while I'm up in Cleveland. So if anyone in that local area, stop on by; I'll get the bar name. I will be there with my LP and a Tech21 Combo and a smile....[/quote']

hahah, thats hilarious, ok heres another, not about my guitar,

so the other guitar player in the band (the one who threw the slide at me) drives an old jeep with an open cab, and hes driving away from one of our first shows, with his epi 335 dot in a hardshell and his solid state amp, and the guitar just literally JUMPS out of the back of his car like it had a pair of legs itself, everything was ok, no damage done, that one still gives me kicks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great!

But this is my opinion on aging:

If you've had your guitar for a couple of years already, what's the point of having someone age it for you? you might as well leave it in the case for 50 years(that'll age it).

I have no problem buying an aged guitar(like a VOS, or similar), but i refuse to have someone age my guitar for me. (Then why'd you buy a shiny one?) :) I'd rather let it age itself, over time.

For now, I'll baby my SG, but i hope for it to look just like that someday (minus checkingvomit-smiley-9529.gif).

Great!

But this is my opinion on aging:

If you've had your guitar for a couple of years already' date=' what's the point of having someone age it for you? you might as well leave it in the case for 50 years(that'll age it).

I have no problem [i']buying[/i] an aged guitar(like a VOS, or similar), but i refuse to have someone age my guitar for me. (Then why'd you buy a shiny one?) =D> I'd rather let it age itself, over time.

For now, I'll baby my SG, but i hope for it to look just like that someday (minus checkingvomit-smiley-9529.gif).

Time to confess, i did the whole relic work!!! no body else. :)

Ive started doing my own relics about 2 years ago and have develop some tricks.

Hey I think that opinions change over time...

For Example

(Kinda new LP player): DUDE!! Look at that '59!! That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!

(Tom Murphy): Since you cant afford one I can make yours sound and look like that for around, (picks a number between 1 and 10) $3,000 dollars!!! Thats wayy cheaper than that '59.

(Kinda new LP player): Great!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ONE MONTH LATER>

All of his friends sit and drool over his LP, "Is it vintage??", "That looks and sounds amazing!!!"

However all of the guitar players at Guitar Center slap him for it....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now about a year ago I just started gettin into LP's and I thought the Murphy aging was insanely cool,

So I sanded down my LP standard.....

LesPaulCustomandStandard022.jpg

I absoultly love it, I have never looked back and she is my favorite, however, I would NOT do it to another guitar.....

nicolasrivera' date=' I'm in the "I wouldn't do that to my guitar" camp but I'm not going to bash relicing or ask why you'd do that. Glad to hear you suited your Les Paul to your likings. It looks sweet. Actually, I think the colour on it is better now than it was before.

Killer shot !! :-

[img']http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo36/8d2studios/Mesa-LSS-and-LP.jpg[/img]

+1

And: I play the same amp and a faded LP. The combination is a winner!!!

I think it looks great and it is good that you like it better. I am not really sure why so many people get so tore up about relicing.

I am just as careful with my guitars as a freakin' moose, they all have digns and scratches and I have never played a gig in a bar, does this mean my guitars have mojo?

Do I have to play them for 30 years to "deserve" an aged look on my guitar?

Weird stuff.

I think it looks great and it is good that you like it better. I am not really sure why so many people get so tore up about relicing.

I am just as careful with my guitars as a freakin' moose' date=' they all have digns and scratches and I have never played a gig in a bar, does this mean my guitars have mojo?

Do I have to play them for 30 years to "deserve" an aged look on my guitar?

Weird stuff.[/quote']

"Mojo is an African-American folk belief. A mojo is a type of magic charm, often of red flannel cloth and tied with a drawstring, containing botanical, zoological, and/or mineral curios, petition papers, and the like. It is typically worn under clothing.

Mojo hands are carried for their supernatural powers, such as protecting from evil or crossed conditions, drawing love, or bringing good luck or success in gambling and other money matters. References to mojos, nation sacks, and tobies are common in 20th century rural and urban blues songs by musicians such as Blind Willie McTell, Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, the Memphis Jug Band, Muddy Waters, and Lightnin' Hopkins. The tunes thus reached audiences unfamiliar with the folk beliefs referred to in the lyrics of the songs.

Popular songs such as "I Got My Mojo Workin" by Muddy Waters use the reference of mojo to male virility, libido, or the penis itself. Waters refers directly to John the Conqueror root which is believed to have magical sexual powers. The root is a possible item in a mojo bag and in dried form is believed to resemble the testicles of a dark-skinned man.

I Got My Mojo Working

Muddy Waters

Got my mojo working, but it just won't work on you

I wanna love you so bad till I don't know what to do

I'm going down to Louisiana to get me a mojo hand

I'm going down to Louisiana to get me a mojo hand

I'm gonna have all you women right here at my command

I wanna love you so bad till I don't know what to do

I got a gypsy woman givin' me advice

I got a gypsy woman givin' me advice

I got some red hot tips I got to keep on ice

Got my mojo working

Got my mojo working

Got my mojo working

But it - uh uh - just won't work on you"

I love Muddy Waters and Austin Powers, what is a mystery to me is how people determine whether a guitar has mojo or not.

I am a hack at playing guitar and yet I will put wear on mine and to think that one day somebody is going to think my guitars have mojo because of it is laughable.

Mojo is also a marinade, that I like better, it is tangible, it makes food taste good.

I love Muddy Waters and Austin Powers' date=' what is a mystery to me is how people determine whether a guitar has mojo or not.

I am a hack at playing guitar and yet I will put wear on mine and to think that one day somebody is going to think my guitars have mojo because of it is laughable.

Mojo is also a marinade, that I like better, it is tangible, it makes food taste good. [/quote']

Well to be honest i cant describe the MOJO, i felt it when i got my first guitar aged by my hand, then i got a different MOJO when i got my 1990 vintage like LP, now I'm having another MOJO moment with this 2003 LP that i aged, it really is like a never ending orgasm. =D>

Archived