Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul, Tube Amp, No Effects =s Nirvana?

Benoit Trow

Call me old-school or no-school, but when I plug in it's just that - plugging in. No effects, just a cord from my LP or Tele plugged directly into my '65 Fender Twin or Mesa Boogie MKIV. Granted, the Boogie has channel switching, overdrive, etc. but even when playing through the Twin, I just like it raw and real.

How 'bout you, what's your set-up and, if played "raw" what are your secrets?

Cheers!

Trow

I'm w/you Benoit ... I prefer my set up to be my guitars straight into my amps. The only time I'll use a pedal in front is if I'm playing at home and need dirt at lower volumes, at which point I'll use either one of my Tonebone's (either the Hot British or the Classic), or I'll use my Carl Martin Plexitone. So yeah, at low volume practicing I like the use of a pedal, otherwise I prefer the straight from guitar to amp set up. I play through either my Marshall 1974x, or my Marshall Vintage Modern, so I appreciate the tone I get from the amps much more than what a pedal can deliver for a live situation. Oh, as far as delay/chorus/etc., I don't fool around with any of it ... a little reverb is nice from time to time, but that's about it.

I'm a straight-in guy. I put my pedal board away about 15 years ago. I think the key (besides talent) is quality equipment.

In the jazz big band I play a Gibson L-5 straight into a solid state Roland with just a little reverb dialed up.

In the blues band I play a Gibson ES-345 into a vintage Music Man tube amp, with just a tad bit of crunch from the master volume, and again a little reverb.

For acoustic stuff I play a Gibson L-7 with a floating pickup straight into the board.

Can't get much simpler than that.

Indeed, there are often times when my '65 twin reverb and R8 makes me reminisce of my early guitar days of the 70's and 80's. Pure tone brought out by the best of both worlds of times past.... Excuse me guys I need to plug that combo in right now and muse.

Call me old-school or no-school' date=' but when I plug in it's just that - plugging in. No effects, just a cord from my LP or Tele plugged directly into my '65 Fender Twin or Mesa Boogie MKIV. Granted, the Boogie has channel switching, overdrive, etc. but even when playing through the Twin, I just like it raw and real.

Cheers!

Trow[/quote']

If that's considered "old school", well, I must be "old school" then, because that's exactly what I do. IMO, nothing better than that.

CABLE + LP/TELE + 65 TWIN = OLD SCHOOL TONE

My favorite tone is definitely my LP plugged straight into a dimed tube amp. However, volume is pretty important when playing with a band in different venues. In some places, even my 15 watt Silvertone is much too loud when it's wide open. And it doesn't have a master volume. So if I need crunch at lower volumes, I really like the tone I get from certain pedals- particularly my modded BD-2.

I'm pretty much a straight guitar/amp guy too. I do run through a Boss ME50 live for some occasional chorus, delay or wah wah. I also use the gain channels on my tube amp for crunch when I need it.

Straight in too. 60 Marshall TSL head with 2 1965 410 cabs. LP Classic and SG Standard with 490/498T pups. Besides a tuner and a Wah... Doesn't get much better than that. Plus, a hell of alot less to break down after a show!

Ummm Kurt Cobain never used Gibsons, and he always used FX... ](*,)

Oh wait... ... ... ...yeah, you're right :-k

My version of straight in is a little different though... straight into an EQ, straight into an OCD, straight into my amp, straight into my fx loop EQ, straight into the power amp.

The ONLY thing between my guitar and my amp is a Boss TU-2 chromatic tuner and an A/B/Y switch.

2636099679_5aed572ce8.jpg?v=0

That being said, I rarely play gigs so it's my home rig.

When I did gigs, I used only my Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 and said tuner.

Straight shot from the pickups to the speakers.

Straight in - my 335 into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The tone is straight out of Get Yer Ya Yas Out.

I play around with effects every now and then, but I quickly tire of the way it mangles my tone.

I'll go for distortion effects if I have to play at very low volume, but it doesnt take much volume to make those '57 humbuckers cause cause some real havoc in the Fender valve amp.

Call me old-school or no-school' date=' but when I plug in it's just that - plugging in. No effects, just a cord from my LP or Tele plugged directly into my '65 Fender Twin or Mesa Boogie MKIV. Granted, the Boogie has channel switching, overdrive, etc. but even when playing through the Twin, I just like it raw and real.

Cheers!

Trow[/quote']

+1. there is nothing better than a clean sound through a tube amp. i do own effects though, for those days u mess around but at the end of the day its the clean tone i look for

Archived