Gibson Brands Forums

Quality Control Question

jmcgui3

I recently purchased a Gibson LP Standard 50s neck online and received it yesterday. Its beautiful, set up perfectly and sounds awesome. I did notice however, a few quality issues. The quality checklist was not filled out completely. The pre-pack portion was completely blank and only the final pack checklist was completed and signed indicating the case and warranty card were inspected. I noticed a scratch about an 1.5 inches in length slightly deeper than a hairline in the binding near the cutaway (deep enough to feel with your finger, but did not penetrate the finish). The center of the top of the headstock was missing a couple specks of paint. These are relatively minor issues and although I'm a little irritated with these minor discrepancies, the guitar plays, looks and sounds awesome. The reseller is willing to ship it back for free and replace it with a new one. What is your guys opinion? Is it worth shipping back for these discrepancies? I'm more concerned that I could get a guitar with worse issues like buzzing frets or overall less playability. I know these are risks you run with buying guitars online, but I did get a killer deal...what do you guys think? I embedded a pic. The scratch doesnt show up that well on camera, but if you look slightly to the lower left center of the pic you can see what im talking about.

dscf2515j.jpg

Could it be that the guitar you received was a returned item or sampled by others before ending up at your door. While, I have purchased guitars online, I always make sure that their return policy allows me to exchange/return on their "nickel", especially for finish imperfections. Also, I request a thorough description of the guitar and ask if it is factory fresh. Better yet, as much as possible, you can't beat actually playing and inspecting the one you intend to buy. Personally, when considering a new guitar, my obsessive nature compels me to accept nothing less than "perfect" by my standards. I'll be the one to put that first scratch if that unfortunate time should ever come. For the money we shell out for our instruments, should we expect anything less? :-s

jmcgui3, that' tough. Some people don't care about the things you listed and others care tremendously. If it bothers you enough than I say get rid of it. Personally, that scratch wouldn't bother me any. What does the headstock look like?

Does the checklist have a model number on it? If so, what's the last number? 1 or 2?

I'd send it back, it sounds like maybe someone had returned it and you got the one they returned. If you're not happy with it, send it back until you get one you are completely happy with. MF has the LP Standard desertburst with nickel hardware, 50's neck (which I prefer) for $1799.00, If I had the extra $$$$ I would buy it.

Good Luck.

I think I'm going to keep it. It sounds and plays great. Turns out the headstock is fine. Looks like it was a couple specks of dirt or wood grains. The neck is the only thing that had any scratches. Here are a couple macro shots where you can easily see the scratches I described earlier.

Here's a macro shot of it: bettershot.jpg

and another discrepancy I found on the neck, scratch or whatever it is, is the same color as the binding and very tiny: dscf2523mpt.jpg

With all the horror stories of guitars that come unplayable, damaged, sharp frets, etc, it doesnt seem like the risk of sending this one back is worth it.

Here's how it looks as a whole...

dscf2518.jpg

If, as you infer, both it's playability and sound are better than you could have ever imagined then for goodness' sake keep it.

The number of nicks and dents you should be able to amass over the next year will make that hairline seem invisible....

Enjoy your lovely instrument.

Yep keep it, looks great. When i got mine there was a small mark on the side of the guitar. At the time it put me off slightly but I managed to get some money off the guitar for it. Since then I have added plenty of my own little marks, including dents on the neck due to a capo that had lost one of its rubber pads! I've come to realise that these little things really don't matter unless you're planning on keeping the guitar as part of a mint collection.

Archived