Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul's at Best Buy??? WTF

Silverbursted

I was looking for some new speakers for my computer today and stopped into the Best buy in Tempe. As I walked in the door, I look over to my right and spy a DW drum kit right next to a Marshall JVM 410 full stack. WTF??? When did Best Buy start selling music gear. So I wandered into the room and was astounded to see row after row of Gibson Les Paul's, SG's, and Explorer's. They had a separate room full of acoustics that was stocked with Gibson's, Martins, Taylor's and some others. They had still another room with amps, and another with drums. The rest of the big room was filled with high end keyboards and electric drums. This place was as well stocked as most guitar centers, with comparable prices. I would not have expected it, but I ended up spending an hour (or 2) messing around. Then I realized I forgot to get the speakers, oh well, I guess I have an excuse to go back. Hehehe.

As I walked in the door, I look over to my right and spy a DW drum kit right next to a Marshall JVM 410 full stack. WTF??? When did Best Buy start selling music gear.

It's been about a year for high end gear (started june 2008). Rolled out the music instruments store within a Best Buy in about 70 stores. They've always sold low end gear in their stores ( fender squiers /Gibson Baldwin etc..).

As I walked in the door' date=' I look over to my right and spy a DW drum kit right next to a Marshall JVM 410 full stack. WTF??? When did Best Buy start selling music gear. [/quote']

It's been about a year for high end gear (started june 2008). Rolled out the music instruments store within a Best Buy in about 70 stores. They've always sold low end gear in their stores ( fender squiers /Gibson Baldwin etc..).

I absolutely love the selection they have at my local Best Buy! The guitars are all in great condition, same with all of their gear. The traffic there isn't nearly as bad as how it is at Guitar Center. The entire Best Buy can be full, and yet the music section is usually empty. They have a sound-proof room filled with amazing guitars, all high-end, and amazing amps, once again all high-end. Everything is well cared for, and the employees work on a fixed salary. They know their stuff and are very kind.

Started about 18 months ago.

Yep, there's one in my town. It got converted early on (last spring). They enclosed a back corner of the store so it's like a store within a store, complete with a nice selection of brands and three "playing" rooms. And in this one, Best Buy had the good sense to hire clerks that are musicians - yes, they can actually talk knowledgably with you concerning guitars, amps, fx pedals, keyboards, drum kits, accessories, PAs, computer interfaces and rigs. All in all, a surprising and well thought out effort. I'm still run into players in my area that don't know about this.

Actually I live about 5 miles from their word headquarters and the first store to try it was in Richfield Minnesota. It started in the fall of 2007 and was expanded to select stores after that. I thought it strange at first too, but when the Original Robot LP sold out at GC around the world, in about 3 hours, I found mine and 2 others a week later at Best Buy.

#-o I have never heard of this before today. Are any of the staff guitarists? Do they know what is up with Gibson guitars?

It's a interesting move. It's like finding 'First Act' in Walmart don't ya think? Hey times really are changing. I hope Gibson continues to make things easier. It's nice to find a great guitar just around the corner from your home. :P

I have never heard of this before today. Are any of the staff guitarists? Do they know what is up with Gibson guitars?

It's a interesting move. It's like finding 'First Act' in Walmart don't ya think? Hey times really are changing. I hope Gibson continues to make things easier. It's nice to find a great guitar just around the corner from your home.

no no no...we must keep out the riff raff! lol

Yeah, SB, I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Beats the HELL out of Guitar Center but the guys aren't very sharp on the product lines.

Prices were pretty scary when I was there, some stuff was tagged at full list.

#-o I have never heard of this before today. Are any of the staff guitarists? Do they know what is up with Gibson guitars?

It's a interesting move. It's like finding 'First Act' in Walmart don't ya think? Hey times really are changing. I hope Gibson continues to make things easier. It's nice to find a great guitar just around the corner from your home. :-k

Obviously can't answer for all stores, but the guys that were staffing the store I was in certainly were. More impressive than the guitar guy was the keyboard guy. My son was looking at a Korg M3 keyboard, which is a seriously complex piece of gear. This guy was able to explain every nuance of how this thing works. Holy crap, it made my head hurt and glad I play guitar. I don't think you'll find that kind of expertise at Wally-mart.

Yeah' date=' SB, I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Beats the HELL out of Guitar Center but the guys aren't very sharp on the product lines.

Prices were pretty scary when I was there, some stuff was tagged at full list.

[/quote']

Sorry I missed that one Neo. Which store were in?

You bring up a good point. Even at GC, there is always room for negotiation. I wonder if BB Music has the same latitude, or is it list price only. :-k

Archived