Gibson Brands Forums

Was there a 2005 Gibson Custom Shop 1962 Les Paul SG Reissue?

Tux

Hi, I saw this Gibson Custom Shop 1962 Les Paul SG Reissue for sale. But I cannot find specs about this guitar anywhere on the web. Can someone help? Was there really a model like this?

Thanks.

the only spec differences between this and a "normal" Historic SG were the tuning keys' date=' slightly different neck joint (i think), and the lightly aged finish (VOS finish wasn't available in 2005...it didn't start until 2006).[/quote']

So they should have Burstbuckers and not 57's, right? Thanks for the patience.

i'm not sure...it was supposed to have the same PUs as a Historic SG. my feeling is that in 2005 Historic SGs were still getting '57s, but i'm not 100% sure about that...the timing of the switch to BBs on these is a bit ambiguous. sorry i can't be more definitive.

• 2 months later...
i'm not sure...it was supposed to have the same PUs as a Historic SG. my feeling is that in 2005 Historic SGs were still getting '57s' date=' but i'm not 100% sure about that...the timing of the switch to BBs on these is a bit ambiguous. sorry i can't be more definitive.[/quote']

Hi, I bought the guitar and I am very, very happy with it. It features 57s. I just read a review on Harmony Central stating that this guitar has a Brazilian rosewood fretboard. Can you confirm that? I know it is rosewood for sure but how can I tell Brazilian from others?

• 2 years later...

the only spec differences between this and a "normal" Historic SG were the tuning keys, slightly different neck joint (i think), and the lightly aged finish (VOS finish wasn't available in 2005...it didn't start until 2006).

I think I have one of these coming to my shop right now. It will be my first SG, after years and years of Les Paul time. I'm looking forward to it.

That said, the serial number info on the Forum is a little confusing, as one would indicate that the guitar coming in is a 2005 guitar, XXX in the production line, and the 2 at the end would signify 1962 Reissue SG Standard. Elsewhere on the Gibson site there's information suggesting that the 2 on the end simply signifies that it's an SG Standard Reissue. But it makes sense that this lines up with what you've stated... the Grovers, the particular serial, the pickups, etc.

The suspected difference in the neck joint... is there any way I can find out about what that difference is?

Archived