Gibson Brands Forums

Bass Lines

Twiz

Granted, this is just an "explanation of playing bass," by a swing/jazz player but listen to the whole thing.

Some of the old slapfiddle players were incredible musicians. Hinton was one of the best. Great photographer, too.

m

+1 on all the Paul McCartney

I feel the most underrated bass player of all time is Bruce Thomas. He's in the same school, as McCartney but he's much more balls-to-the-wall.

Here's a few examples of his KILLER bass lines.

Lipstick Vogue - This one reminds me of John Paul Jones melodically but rhythm wise he seems to be channeling Flea before Flea was around.

- He didn't play on the studio version (which has a great bassline played by Nick Lowe) but he makes this one his own. He's so damn bouncy while still being somewhat heavy, I love it.

- Bruce Thomas puts the Precision in P-Bass.

Oh, my. Some have actually said Paul McCartney can't play bass? Them's fighting words. Just because you're not the fastest or the most technically-adept does not mean you aren't the best. McCartney's bass lines were like his songs in general: all about the melody. When I listen to anything from the "Revolver" era up through the "Abby Road" era, I am constantly amazed at his ingenuity, and his influence will live on forever.

Favorite bass line? Try "Rain"...

Don't make fun of my favorite band!

I wasn't making fun of Green Day! They're one of my favorite bands too! I was referring to an interview with Mike Dirnt in which he told how he wrote the bass in Longview. Apparently he and Billie Joe were tripping on acid when they wrote it, and they had to spend the next day piecing together what they thought it sounded like.

And while we debate Paul McCartney' date=' I think the bass on I Saw Her Standing There is fantastic. Try singing it and playing it at the same time.

That's why that song was my pick, on the American version of Beatles Albums that is the first song on the first album. Simply fantastic.

Archived