Gibson Brands Forums

Top 10 Must-Know Rock Guitar Riffs

Californiaman

Found this link on Premier Guitar

It took me to Guitar Instructor.com

What are your thoughts?

Are there five more to make it the top 15 Must-Know Guitar Riffs.

TOP 10 MUST-KNOW ROCK GUITAR RIFFS!

Posted by Michael Mueller on May 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM

You know a great riff when we hear one—it stays with you, and you've got to learn it as soon as you get your hands on your axe. Below are 10 of the greatest rock guitar riffs of all-time. All of them are considered "must-know" riffs, so if you haven't learned any of them yet, click on the title to get the guitar tab!

10. "Day Tripper" The Beatles

This monumental John Lennon-penned line set the bar for the single-note bass-line style guitar riff that now dominates the hard rock and metal landscape.

9. "Purple Haze" Jimi Hendrix

There couldn't be a more appropriate introduction to the man who would become known as the greatest guitarist of all time.

8. "Enter Sandman" Metallica

After pummeling fans into submission with their blistering thrash style in the '80s, Metallica brought metal to the mainstream with their 1991 self-titled release the "Black Album" and its opening track, "Enter Sandman."

7. "Walk This Way" Aerosmith

Raunchy, bluesy, funky, and loaded with swagger, Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" epitomizes what a great rock song should be.

6. "Crazy Train" Ozzy Osbourne

Courtesy of guitarist Randy Rhoads, the F# minor main riff of "Crazy Train" offers not only a lesson in pedal point but also a great alternate picking workout!

5. "Sunshine of Your Love" Cream

In an example of masterly arranging, the main riff is heard variously in both single-note and chordal forms, thus giving the listener something familiar without being too repetitious.

4. "Iron Man" Black Sabbath

This quintessential metal riff, composed entirely of 6th-string-rooted power chords in the key of B minor, set the precedent for all heavy guitar to come.

3. "Back in Black" AC/DC

Has the use of space and rests ever been so effective as in AC/DC's "Back in Black"? The Brothers Young got rhythm, and nowhere is that more apparent than in this classic gem!

2. "Smoke on the Water" Deep Purple

Ritchie Blackmore's masterpiece has probably been played by more guitarists than any other riff in history!

1. "Johnny B. Goode" Chuck Berry

We often think about how Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen made heads turn with their prodigious gifts and daring souls, but when you combine the musical and social implications of what Chuck Berry accomplished, there can be little doubt that Berry is the king of rock 'n' roll guitar.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I like the ones Californiaman and Daveinspain's coming up with. That original 10 should be labeled "Top 10 Generic Riffs". And what kind of Guitar Riff list leaves out Zeppelin.

Rock and Roll - Zep

How Many More Times - Zep

House of the Rising Sun - Animals

Maybe I'm A Leo - Deep Purple

Politician - Cream

Motherless Children - Clapton

Strangle Hold - Ted Nugent

Texas Food - SRV

Change It - SRV

Bad Love - Clapton or Learning To Fly - Pink Floyd (If you really want to learn about Pedal Tones).

My advice to new guitarist, Challenge Yourself. If you learn the stuff that's a little difficult, the easy stuff will just be there.

2. "Smoke on the Water" Deep Purple

Ritchie Blackmore's masterpiece has probably been played by more guitarists than any other riff in history!

If you listen to it again, you'll hear "way" more Jon Lord in that lick, than Ritchie.

Lord's ability to distort the keys, gave Blackmore a lot of breathing room.

Just sayin'.

Murph.

If you listen to it again' date=' you'll hear "way" more Jon Lord in that lick, than Ritchie.

Just sayin'.

Murph.[/quote']

Your one of those guys...=D>

If you listen to it again' date=' you'll hear "way" more Jon Lord in that lick, than Ritchie.

Just sayin'.

Murph.[/quote']

Here's a surprise John Lord intro.

top 10 lists always pi$$ me off.

Top 10 reasons they guitar riff lists pi$$ me off.

10) I can't play them.

9) Everyone knows them so I can't fake playing them.

8) Chicks always want to hear them and refer back to #9 and #10

7) Chicks who would have mad passionate sex with me want to hear them; refer back to #8, 9, and 10

6) Masturbation (self explanatory, and self administered)

5) Lot's of practicing the riffs so to avoid #6 caused by #7,8,9, and 10

4) Sore fingers (from #5, not to be confused with sore wrists from #6, caused by #7,8,9, and 10)

3) Betty White (just to release the angst from #7 which led to #6, caused by #8,9, and 10)

2) They just pi$$ me off

1) refer to #2

Just saying.

Anything by Zep is more "must-know" than anything by Metallica!! Good god! I'm not even a guitarist and I know that!

Any Top 10 riffs list that doesn't include songs like "Cocaine" or "Barracuda" or really any other song that you find yourself singing along with the guitar......well, that's just no list at all!

Dreams I'll Never See by Molly Hatchet?

Long Ago and Far Away by Zep?

Norwegian Wood and Blackbird by the Beatles? (What about Lucy in the Skies??)

Man... there are way more than 10.

I'm just sayin'... and we haven't even touched some genres =;

I'm not going to come up with 10 more. I know it's not as well known a DP riff as Smoke On The Water' date=' but I think the intro and riff to Lazy is a must learn for any guitarist.[/quote']

=;

I do that all the time for sound checks.

ALL THE TIME.....

I was simply referencing "Deliverance." =;

You can't tell me you can listen to Dueling Banjos without thinking "squeal like a pig."

Sorry, I can't think of Dueling Banjos without thinking of Flatt and Scruggs. But I've always been into Music more than Movies.

Sorry' date=' I can't think of Dueling Banjos without thinking of Flatt and Scruggs. But I've always been into Music more than Movies.[/quote']

And I can't think of Flatt & Scruggs without thinking of "The Beverly Hillbillies!"

I am definitely *not* a movie person, but growing up in the south.....well, Deliverance and Dueling Banjos takes on a whole different meaning.

Homz's sure-fire way to piss me off is to do the main riff of Dueling Banjos at the end of "Sweet Home Alabama." (I usually do a little "Dixie.")

Archived