Gibson Brands Forums

Top 10 Must-Know Rock Guitar Riffs

Californiaman

Sorry' date=' I can't think of Dueling Banjos without thinking of Flatt and Scruggs. But I've always been into Music more than Movies.[/quote']

Yea, but then, Flatt and Scruggs makes me think of the Stonemans, and then I break out the "1965 Live In L.A." cd, and get into a bluegrass thing.

Out comes the J45, and I start doing Clarence White licks.

Then......

I need a beer.....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea' date=' but then, Flatt and Scruggs makes me think of the Stonemans, and then I break out the "1965 Live In L.A." cd, and get into a bluegrass thing.

Out comes the J45, and I start doing Clarence White licks.

Then......

I need a beer.....

[/quote']

What it is about bluegrass and beer???? (Or moonshine, as the case may be)

Saw some great live bluegrass in Asheville, NC. I don't want to sit around and listen to it on CD, but live---you can't beat a good bluegrass band for pure musicianship.

Beer and Bluegrass. That's why I bought a Mandolin in the first Place.....I was Drunk.

Now if I could only Flat Pick an Acoustic Guitar without bending a string I could rest happy, until then, It's Mando for my Bluegrass. I have to bend, It's in my foundation.

Of course anyone from the south probably think my Bluegrass playing is...well...not Bluegrass.

Beer and Bluegrass. That's why I bought a Mandolin in the first Place.....I was Drunk.

Now if I could only Flat Pick an Acoustic Guitar without bending a string I could rest happy' date=' until then, It's Mando for my Bluegrass. I have to bend, It's in my foundation.

Of course anyone from the south probably think my Bluegrass playing is...well...not Bluegrass.[/quote']

As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with the mandolin!!!

I have noticed that the songs I was drawn to from the first time I heard them, all featured the mandolin. Maggie May. Hey, Hey What Can I Do...... the list goes on.

Maybe it's born in me?

Ya' bunch of hillbillies.

I'll take my blue grass with a jug of whiskey any day. It's the only way I can tolerate it.

Just kidding. But it does help.

The yearly festival in my hometown is "Hillbilly Days." No kidding.

I am sure that whiskey would make it much more tolerable!!

Sorry' date=' I can't think of Dueling Banjos without thinking of Flatt and Scruggs. But I've always been into Music more than Movies.[/quote']

Same here, but I hate Reservoir Dogs for ruining Stuck In The Middle With You. I loved that song, but now every time I hear it, I think of that scene. I don't listen to the song anymore.

As far as I'm concerned' date=' you can't go wrong with the mandolin!!!

I have noticed that the songs I was drawn to from the first time I heard them, all featured the mandolin. Maggie May. Hey, Hey What Can I Do...... the list goes on.

Maybe it's born in me? [/quote']

Me Too. Battle of evermore has been a favorite of mine for years, I was always a little disappointed when I couldn't play the intro on guitar. But it was Bluegrass Mandolin that got me hooked.

Ya' bunch of hillbillies.

I'll take my blue grass with a jug of whiskey any day. It's the only way I can tolerate it.

Just kidding. But it does help.

I was raised in the San Bernardino Mountains. That's pretty Hillbilly for California.

Same here' date=' but I hate Reservoir Dogs for ruining Stuck In The Middle With You. I loved that song, but now every time I hear it, I think of that scene. I don't listen to the song anymore.[/quote']

I do hate it when a Bad Movie or Commercial ruins a good song. Right after we worked up Hit Me With Your Best Shot it show up in an Oxy Clean commercial. =D>

Me Too. Battle of evermore has been a favorite of mine for years' date=' I was always a little disappointed when I couldn't play the intro on guitar. But it was Bluegrass Mandolin that got me hooked.[/quote']

There's just something about a mandolin..... It was actually the mandolin that sucked me into Zeppelin!! Growing up, all I knew was "Stairway to Heaven" and to this day, I still don't like the song. But "Gallows Pole" and "Battle of Evermore"....

come to think of it--it was really the "bluegrass-y" songs that I liked so much. Which is rather ironic since I'm not a huge fan of bluegrass. But how can you go wrong with "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp"?

There's just something about a mandolin..... It was actually the mandolin that sucked me into Zeppelin!! Growing up' date=' all I knew was "Stairway to Heaven" and to this day, I still don't like the song. But "Gallows Pole" and "Battle of Evermore"....

come to think of it--it was really the "bluegrass-y" songs that I liked so much. Which is rather ironic since I'm not a huge fan of bluegrass. But how can you go wrong with "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp"?[/quote']

I love Braun-Yr-Aur Stomp and Gallows Pole. For that Matter Led Zeppelin III is such a great Album that's so different from the rest of Zeps stuff it's hard to compare to the rest.

I love Braun-Yr-Aur Stomp and Gallows Pole. For that Matter Led Zeppelin III is such a great Album that's so different from the rest of Zeps stuff it's hard to compare to the rest.

My favorite of all time is Zep 2, but Zep 3...wow. That's just one of those albums that is so un-like most rock music, it has to catch your attention!

Tried to talk my sister into using "Tangerine" as her wedding song, but she wasn't going for it. If I had it to do all over again....

There would be some Zeppelin and Van Morrison *highly* represented!

To the originally posted list I would say "no" to a few of those.

Already mentioned was Black Dog and Over the Hills and Far Away, but how about China Grove and Fly Like and Eagle? Hmmm come to think about it how about Rocky Mountain Way and Slow Ride or Fool for the City? Wow what about Riding the Storm Out or When the Lights Go Down in the City or even Tie Your Mother Down or just about any song off of the first Boston album?

Man there are a bunch more that are better than the original list now that I think about it.

That's funny cause I was raised on Saddleback Mountain and the surrounding hills of Orange County.

Yep, we're as Hilbilly as you'll find around here then. It's funny how everyone assumes you're Trendy or a Hippie if you come from California.

To the originally posted list I would say "no" to a few of those.

Already mentioned was Black Dog and Over the Hills and Far Away' date=' but how about China Grove and Fly Like and Eagle? Hmmm come to think about it how about Rocky Mountain Way and Slow Ride or Fool for the City? Wow what about Riding the Storm Out or When the Lights Go Down in the City or even Tie Your Mother Down or just about any song off of the first Boston album?

Man there are a bunch more that are better than the original list now that I think about it.[/quote']

Great Choices. Especially China Grove.

Yep' date=' we're as Hilbilly as you'll find around here then. It's funny how everyone assumes you're Trendy or a Hippie if you come from California.[/quote']

Appropriate photo for the topic FM

Down country Victoria, south of Melbourne, the hillbillies there have an annual TRACTOR PULL

I kid you not.

Its a comp to see who has the strongest tractor.

Just a few weeks before that, they have an annual Lobster Festival

Which Heartbreaker are we talking about here.

The Stones did one called that on the Goats Head Soup album. The gun lobbyists hated it' date=' but it is a fantastic song.[/quote']

Songs named Heartbreaker were done by.....

Led Zeppelin

The Rolling Stones

Grand Funk

BB King

Dionne Warwick

Dolly Parton

Gentle Giant

Pat Benatar

Ray Charles

Mariah Carey

I'm sure there is more

Ah, these are all good, but there are so many more...

The Ocean by Zep

Mississippi Queen by Mountain

Locomotive Breath or Aqualung by Tull

Walk or Cowboys from Hell by Pantera

Supernaut by Sabbath

Refugee by Tom Petty

Cities On Flame With Rock and Roll by Blue Oyster Cult

Cat Scratch Fever by Ted Nugent

Limelight by Rush

No Time by the Guess Who

Just Got Paid or Waitin' for the Bus by ZZ Top

Hair of the Dog by Nazareth

Burn by Deep Purple (now that one is all Ritchie)

Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns and Roses

Long Cool Woman by the Hollies

...lots more...

The difference between us and those gods mentioned in all these posts is that we can learn those licks, but we did not come up with them.

Chuck

are you guys nuts!!!!!!!!!!???

first off no one even had ONE submission by Queen...

"We will Rock You" Queen...there it had to be said...what is wrong with you people...

"Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen...youre gonna tell me you dont want to know how to play that??

"Fortunate Son" CCR...the opening riff? cmon! too badass for you people?

and if your gonna pick a Metallica song...what the hell is wrong with "Ride the Lightning"??? nothing is wrong!!

"Hotel California" Eagles...the solo...cmon!...cmon!

are you guys nuts!!!!!!!!!!???

first off no one even had ONE submission by Queen...

"We will Rock You" Queen...there it had to be said...what is wrong with you people...

"Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen...youre gonna tell me you dont want to know how to play that??

"Fortunate Son" CCR...the opening riff? cmon! too badass for you people?

and if your gonna pick a Metallica song...what the hell is wrong with "Ride the Lightning"??? nothing is wrong!!

"Hotel California" Eagles...the solo...cmon!...cmon!

We Will Rock You has a riff???

Archived