Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a New SG faded cherry SWEET!!!

kmartem

I've played guitar for 40 years,do my own repairs and set ups ,have own100 guitars but I've never owned a SG.When Fender raised there prices and Gibson lowered the price of the SG I decided I had to buy one.I looked at about 7 or 8 and found the one.It set up perfectly and I'm REALLY digging it.Thanks for the great price Gibson.

I've played guitar for 40 years' date='do my own repairs and set ups ,have own100 guitars but I've never owned a SG.When Fender raised there prices and Gibson lowered the price of the SG I decided I had to buy one.I looked at about 7 or 8 and found the one.It set up perfectly and I'm REALLY digging it.Thanks for the great price Gibson.[/quote']

how can you have own 100 guitars and never have owned an SG until now?

Prolife, I'm pretty sure Gibsons use an African species of Mahogany.

Congrats on the new guitar kmartem, I got the same model here. Isn't it great to find the luck of the draw? I got lucky with mine, there were only 2 left when I went to buy; the filthy floor model and one in the back still in the box. The boxed one was luckily near perfect. It's a workhorse, it's made to be played. Make sure you take it to a tech though, especially if you're gonna change the gauge of strings you use. They come with .10s, but I use .11s and once I switched I started having trouble with strings binding in the nut (VERY common Gibson problem) which still needs to be fixed. Enjoy!

Congrats on the new faded! I freakin' love mine. They're just stripped down, no-frills guitars. I think they're definitely more of a players guitar. I wound up putting some slightly hotter pickups in mine, and now it's even better.

"Honduran."

arrrggg! this is a vicious cirlcle. it used to be honduran but it was banned although gibbo have had stocks or new planting schemes, they won't say exactly what would they use. some are saying african i think but it's only the high end guitars that are honduran. i will keep my ears open on it...

Personally I dont care if it is farmed in high tech oxygen tents on the moon. It is mahogany. No two are ever exactly the same weight or tone whatever species of mahogany is used and neither species is better than the other, just slightly different (but refer back to no two will ever be the same anyway). As with all the other little quirks, it all comes down to find the one you like tonally and stop worrying about where the wood came from.

Archived