Gibson Brands Forums

removing a stain from the binding on my LP

3stepbend

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this, but my LP has what appears to be an ink or marker stain on the binding along the neck. When playing, it's on the bottom so I don't see it, but I'd like to remove it as it's the only blemish on the guitar.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove it without either damaging the binding or the neck finish?

thx...

I’ve successfully removed small spots and stains from my nitro finished guitars by using a dab of naphtha (lighter fluid) on a cotton swab. The key is to gently rub the spot. If you’re faint of heart then perhaps a little of Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Polish or equivalent can do the trick. Again, the key is to gently rub it out. I’m assuming that the spot is on the surface of the finish, otherwise the point is moot. I hope that helps!

Play On!

not a red back, doesn't appear to be a bleed. It looks as if someone picked it up and had ink on their finger. It's minor, I just don't want to damage the guitar. I don't have a picture with me, but can take one and post it later tonight.

I assume it's a surface blemish as well. I can't tell, exactly, and it doesn't extend to the neck wood

I'd hate to see your reaction in a few years, when your guitar starts to look like it has been to hell and back.:-

Unless? after you're doen playing it (without even touching it), you keep it in a climate controlled vault.#-o

I'm just kidding, but I really wouldn't worry about it too much, because as long as it looks/feels/sounds good overal, a tiny stain on the binding, isn't going to matter.

Axe is a lot more well meaning than he seems from the Wizard of Oz avatar. Naptha is perfect for cleaning the finish, and if you don't already have a quart can of it from the paint store, you can buy a small quantity of it from the local card shop or convenience store in the form of lighter fluid. Same stuff. It's actually the solvent in paste wax. It won't hurt the nitro finish.

But never, ever, used denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol on a nitro finish. Yes, it will dissolve the ink (and it's the right thing to use on a polyester finish like where the kids got marker on the table....) but alcohol will partially dissolve (strip) the nitrocellulose lacquer and might even leave bad white blush marks (don't ask me how I know that).

But you didn't say what color it is. Really, if it's yellow or red it could be from the dye in the grain filler.

How old is the guitar?

Is it a red back?

Is it a fine line that looks like a bleed from the color of the neck.

Pictures?

I have a bit of bleed from the red back onto the binding... what's up with that?

No too fussed about it really, just interesting that you bought it up.

I'd hate to see your reaction in a few years' date=' when your guitar starts to look like it has been to hell and back.=D>

Unless? after you're doen playing it (without even touching it), you keep it in a climate controlled vault.=D>

I'm just kidding, but I really wouldn't worry about it too much, because as long as it looks/feels/sounds good overal, a tiny stain on the binding, isn't going to matter.

[/quote']

Agreed. Mine's only 2 years old and while it's by no means abused, it is well played in now. If you're worried about small cosmetic blemishes all the while you won't fully enjoy the guitar, once you get the first few buckle rash marks, the soft dents and the light misty spot on the finish from you're sweaty arm out the way you'll love it even more. I can't stand a guitar that looks too shiny and new now, it bugs me lol. Anyway if you get the mark off or not, I'm sure you'll have many years of joy with you're LP either way ;)

I have a bit of bleed from the red back onto the binding... what's up with that?

No too fussed about it really' date=' just interesting that you bought it up.

[/quote']

It's my job.

stevezapp wrote:

No too fussed about it really, just interesting that you bought it up.

Follow this link. It explains the paint/staining process pretty well, particularly under the subheading "Color them Beautiful"

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/219-gibson-custom/

Cheers, Play On!

No too fussed about it really' date=' just interesting that you bought it up.

[/quote']

Curious, Steve, is it a Historic? It seems that the older formulation of grain filler had a dye stain in it. Not just the color of the filler that's supposed to stay in the pores of the mahogany (so you get a level shiny finish on top) but also there's color that stays on the rest of the wood. It's really like a combination wood stain and grain filler, and it gives the color and texture that we've known to love on cherry-backed Gibsons.

When they put the clear lacquer over it, the dye sometimes bleeds up into the clearcoat and drifts over the binding where you notice it. There are lots of threads here with people who were assured by Customer Service that it would fade. On the other hand, they deliberately recreated this "feature" for the formulation of the Historic finishes (which, IMO, are too faded and orangey pink to begin with). So I wonder if it has happened on any production models from GibsonUSA.

fwiw... the color of the stain is black or dark blue...looks like ink from a pen to me, that someone had on their finger, when the picked up the guitar.

I'm not worried about it, I just figured I'd remove it if I could. Heck, I can't even see it when I'm playing because it's on the bottom side of the fret board.

thanks, guys...

Archived