Gibson Brands Forums

So what do you got? J45 Modern Classic or J45 Standard

DonCarlos

I have read similiar questions about what model of J45 a person has, so maybe this post will be of interest.

The answer. I have a J45 Modern Classic Standard, I think. LOL

I don't why these things mean so much to me, since they are the same exact guitar, but I kept wondering what model my guitar was, since it was built in the Fall of 2008 and I purchased it new a couple months ago .

So of course I write to Gibson with all the information I had, which included the serial number, model number, the information of the box shipping label, the Body Construction Tag taped on the inside of my guitar and description, and their verdict:

Hello,

Your serial number is consistent with a J-45 Standard, which to my knowledge is no different than the Modern Classic. All modern Gibson acoustics (i.e., not historic or vintage in appearance) have the white labels. Also, your tuners are consistent with the Standard, or Modern Classic, as they are indeed a modern tuner--as opposed to the white plastic button tuners.

Best regards,

XXXXXX XXXXXXX

Gibson customer service

So although the box shipping label says MC, and the Body Construction Tag says MC, the serial number is consistent with a J45 Standard. So I have deemed my model a J45 Modern Classic Standard. But depending in the future which may or may not have more value, I will then settle on one model name.

If it is indeed the new J45 Standard then perhaps the box shipping label and the handwritten BC tag were done at the transitional stage of switching the packaging and label over.

Or I could just say "My guitar is a J45".

Yeah it all gets kinda crazy .Mines a 2001Historic collection J45,white button tuners a bit more smokey burst than i've seen recently. I finally changed out the tusq nut &saddle for bone and also got rid of the ust pickup. I loved it then and I love it even more now. Noticeable change sonically with those 3 mods.Then there's my 2007 ltd adi/burl figured hog,ab rosette, Madagascar rosewood fingerboard/bridge with diamond inlay markers, a beast of beauty and sound, it's a custom shop J45, got lucky at Sweetwater.

Then there's my 2007 ltd adi/burl figured hog,ab rosette, Madagascar rosewood fingerboard/bridge with diamond inlay markers, a beast of beauty and sound, it's a custom shop J45, got lucky at Sweetwater.

Nice guitar.

Yeah Sweetwater is actually an okay place, in comparison to most internet places. I have known Brad Lyons of Sweetwater for several years. He is part of a recording forum I belong to, and according to Brad, he has sold guitars to John Mayer. I think he is credible. Definitely a good contact if you are building a PC based recording system too.

My J-45 is a 2004 and luckily has none of the above labels applied to it! It's just a regular ol' run-of-the-mill J-45 and I love it to death. Back then I believe they just had the J-45 and the J-45 Rosewood. Just call it Bob and forget about it! lol

Everything that used to be Modern Classic is now called Standard, I guess echoing the electric guitar line nomenclature. It also looks like the J-50 has disappeared and been replaced with J-45 in Antique Natural.

Archived