Gibson Brands Forums

Why I think classical players are the best...

heymisterk

Man, that's just awesome. :)

This is actually one of the songs I was hearing as a kid, and made me want to play guitar.

The quality of the vid isn't great, but the song is very moving.

I was just thinking about starting a thread concerning fingerpicking, as we started working on it this week during my Guitar Lesson, we started working on "Blackbird" by the Beatles. I have also been watching John 5 on You Tube doing his fingerpicking. The fingerpicking seems to be the way to increase the complexity and quality of the Music.

What do the rest of you think about fingerpicking and do you practice this technique.

I was just thinking about starting a thread concerning fingerpicking' date=' as we started working on it this week during my Guitar Lesson, we started working on "Blackbird" by the Beatles. I have also been watching John 5 on You Tube doing his fingerpicking. The fingerpicking seems to be the way to increase the complexity and quality of the Music.

What do the rest of you think about fingerpicking and do you practice this technique. [/quote']

Well, I am not anything beyond a pre-novice guitarist, but I think fingerpicking--when done well--is amazing. Listening to bluegrass always leaves me astounded. On the "rock" side of the coin, I like the bluegrass influence that you can hear in Lindsay Buckingham's playing and my first comment on Randy Rhoads' "Dee" was--Oh my god, he actually creates dynamics so that it sounds like there are two or more guitars playing. And I just love listening to the Spanish-style guitars. [-X

Thanks for the link! We enjoyed it greatly in the Homz house!

It's not best' date=' it's just different!

The beauty of the guitar is that there is room for ALL styles.[/quote']

:- =P~=D> =D>

YES!

I love Narsico Yepes playing Bach, but I have never warmed to his playing of that kind of repertoire. It sounds cold and brittle in tone to my ears.

Here is my favorite Classical Guitarist Julian Bream playing the same piece. you can download it too!

http://www.last.fm/music/Julian+Bream/_/Recuerdos+de+la+Alhambra

Matt

I think using the term "the best" is purely subjective and is always going to end up in a fight / argument... :-

On the other hand if we start defining the comparisons as the most technically proficient, fastest, versatile etc, there is at least an opportunity for reasonable discussion or debate.

Music is first and foremost about entertainment and that like all art is subjective and like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As an example, Ace Frehley. Not the most proficient of guitarists but still a genuine talent past the hype and I prefer to listen to his work more than Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani etc who are clearly skilled fretboard craftsmen.

That's no slight on them, it's just they leave me cold.

As has been stated here by L5Larry, "It's not best, it's just different!"

How boring would it be if we liked the same thing?

I recently came across this clip on YouTube, a Japanese guy Masayuki playing Blues on an 08 Futura. I could listen to this guy for hours but I'm sure would have plenty of others bored.

Over & Out

Martin

I guess I just think classical guitarists are underrated by most rock players who don't give them due appreciation: the talk always turns to EVH or Page or Clapton; never to Bream or Williams or Yepes, and I think some miss out.

Hope that is clearer.

I guess I just think classical guitarists are underrated by most rock players who don't give them due... the talk always turns to EVH or Page or Clapton

I think I misunderstood. I agree wholeheartedly! I feel a rare rant coming on LMAO!!

When I meet people socially and discuss Classical music I feel like such a snob because as I politely listen to them telling me they like 'Classical' they then say "Andrew Lloyd Webber is amazing"' date=' or Enya is fantastic...[b']WTF!!!![/b] i am just thinking "is this the world we live in and what they see as Classical music?...

or the shite 'Popera' music which is marketed at middle aged house wives and mother in laws, believing they are buying opera!

Sadly the the media and the constant down dumbing down of everything, means as a society we are so freekin blinkered!!

Matt

I don't know what defines best - from a technical standpoint a lot of those guys are mind blowing but for ME I'd take a Muddy Waters toe curling slide solo like the live version of 19 Years old ANYDAY.

What I listen to is defined by THE FEEL which is totally different than appreciating what someone does - Some great player makes me go WOW but the ones I prefer make me close me eyes and say 'OH yes'

Amen' date=' Sear. Very well-stated.[/quote']

Ouch I just hurt my head as I fell off my Horse LOL...

I can feel another rant coming on (I am in a good mood believe it not but bare with me)

People, especially today, are not mentally trained (because of the 'fast food' type culture we belong) to listen to a 10 minutes movement from a Wagner symphony, a ten minute Pink Floyd song etc etc. They turn off all too easily!

People go to a restaurant, and want the food in 15 minutes (top), They watch a movie and if it takes longer than ten minutes to get going they again switch off.

(Hollywood has turned movies into 90 minute trailers rather than film. They are aware many fall asleep of there is too much character interplay, talking etc so appeal to the video game instant gratification. Sadly this has infested itself in music.

This 'pick and mix' way of approaching culture is eroding society. I believe we need culture to exist and live as a civilised society.

The breakdown of the album!

What breaks my heart the most with kids I teach is how the concept of an album is lost on them. They are so used to downloading the 'best bits' again they miss the whole journey of having the sleeve on their lap and looking at the cover art and realising track 6 follows 5 for a reason!

Take it out of context and it looses something.

Matt

ps did you know the best selling cds are compilations. Again lets just choose a bit here, a bit there and whack it on tackey titles like 'Rock Anthems', "Soothing Classics", "Chill out Jazz" WTF!!!!

I was just thinking about starting a thread concerning fingerpicking' date=' as we started working on it this week during my Guitar Lesson, we started working on "Blackbird" by the Beatles. I have also been watching John 5 on You Tube doing his fingerpicking. The fingerpicking seems to be the way to increase the complexity and quality of the Music.

What do the rest of you think about fingerpicking and do you practice this technique. [/quote']

I try to blend my finger picking with my pick technique , since I was born in Brazil and most guitars here are classical ones, and finger picked , I had to struggle to learn how to use a pick LOL. I think any technique you can learn can improve complexity.

What do the rest of you think about finger picking and do you practice this technique. [/quote']

I have never used a pick so i use nothing but finger picking, To me it is not a technique but the way i normally play the Guitar since i still to this day refuse to use a pick.

My guitar teacher does not use picks neither so he taught me how to play all these kind of cool songs and chords using Finger picking.

P.S He also taught me some classical stuff which helped me allot when it came to Finger picking, Also if you want to look at some Finger picking Guitarist search up Jeff Beck, Freddie King or any early Blues players.

Archived