Gibson Brands Forums

Kyle Busch/ Rockstar; I don't think so..........

LM-LP

Can some one post the pics of the imature Kyle Busch trashing a custom painted LP? He's a good example of too much money and not enough brains. Maybe one day he will learn how to play smoke on the water and wish he had that one of a kind guitar back!!

One thing I noticed was that the body looked like the color of maple and not mahogany. It should have looked red and not blonde. Maybe I was just seeing the cap. I could not tell if it was chambered, swiss, or solid. I think solid being a custom and that it survived one hit.

Busch capped his victory celebration after the NASCAR Nationwide Series race by grabbing the custom-painted guitar by the neck and slamming it three times into the Victory Lane concrete before tossing it aside.

The rock star antics originated last year when Busch told his team he would smash one of racing's most coveted prizes if he ever won at Nashville.

To its credit, the guitar chipped but never shattered.

"It didn't break according to plan," Busch said. "We'll go back to the shop and cut it up into smooth pieces so everyone on the team can have one. Then I'm going to order two more for me and (crew chief) Jason Ratcliff.

"Everybody's (smashed a guitar) except race car drivers. Those sorry saps take it home in one piece. I'll break it up and share it with the team."

One onlooker who applauded the theatrics was Sam Bass, the artist who paints Nashville's trophy guitars.

"I'll be honest with you, I was stunned when it happened,'' Bass said. "But when I went to Victory Lane to take a picture with Kyle, he said there was no disrespect to me, the speedway or the sponsors. He just said he was going to give each one of his guys a piece of the trophy. In the spirit of rock and roll and, as someone who appreciates rock and roll, he put on a show.''

What a tragedy. Perhaps, he inhaled too much exhaust fumes. I wonder how he would have felt if someone dropped a wrecking ball on his race car? =P~

For the rest of us that appreciate fine instruments. Play On!

What a tragedy. Perhaps' date=' he inhaled too much exhaust fumes. I wonder how he would have felt if someone dropped a wrecking ball on his race car? :-

For the rest of us that appreciate fine instruments. Play On!

[/quote']I'm not a NASCAR fan, but from a lot of the the other vids I saw, someone should have, crossed the rope, grabbed what was left of that beautiful work of art, and wacked! him up-side the head with it!

I'm not a NASCAR fan either ... as a matter of fact, I think it's really lame. However, I don't know why everyone is up in arms over this. Had he not broken the guitar then someone here could have very easily started a thread topic along the lines of saying ...

"wow, what a bunch of crap! why would Gibson give him a guitar? does he even play? this is just another shameful example of a beautiful instrument that will sit untouched on someone's wall like a bunch of damn doctors & lawyers & business executives. that could have been mine! what a bunch of bull!" ...

I don't know whether or not he plays, but he obviously thought enough of the prize to make a scene over it rather than just pose with it for the pictures and hand it off to a caretaker ... and also thought enough of it that he wanted to break it up so everyone could enjoy a little piece of it. Besides, he said that he's ordering a couple more, right? So it's not like he dislikes it, was ungrateful, or mean spirited in any way. The way I see it, he was damned if he did & damned if he didn't ... I give him some credit for pulling off some, albeit cliched, rock star moves.

As I said over at the Lounge: Guitars and Retards don't mix.

Addendum: At least now the rest of the world knows how many brain cells it takes to be a NASCAR driver. Probably why so many of those hillbillies aspire to be one.

In addition to my guitars, I'm "into" all sorts of motorsports. F1 in particular, but even the roundy-round boys in Nascar.

The comments on a couple car forums are the same as those here. Even the pure "car guys" have been critical of Kyle "shrub" Busch's disgraceful performance. If he really wanted to "share", I'm sure Gibson and Sam Bush (the artist that did the custom paint job) and Shrub could have worked out a better solution.

Lie was said previosuly, I've never seen anyone smash their Daytona 500 trophy, or any other trophy for that matter.

I was amused by the fact that in three slams to the ground, he wasn't able to to break it! Just splintered a few pieces off of it. Go Gibson!

I think his explanation of 'sharing' it, only came after someone (agent or publicist) told him to say that.

If he had any class at all, he would have taken it gracefully and donated it, or sold it and donated the money to some charity or program to help the less fortunate.

It's his guitar to do as he likes, but to do it in public and like some publicity stunt is like a rich motha wiping his a** with C-notes in front of a bunch of homeless people. It shows that he thinks himself better than others

I could care less who the driver was that smashed the Les Paul. It was a custom shop, hand painted original. While I am no fan of Kyle Bush, I am a big fan of a work of art. No matter what the excuse, it was a childish, disrespectful act. If he had of signed the guitar and donated it to Kyle Petty's charity, Victory Junction Gang he would have won me over as a fan. As a native of Nashville, I felt like some jerk came onto my turf and pissed all over it as did a host of other Nashvillians.

Henry at Gibson should make a statement and no longer supply guitars to race winners and give the one off guitar to a charity as a show of goodwill, then give the winner a trophee with a dinky little replica of the guitar. The spirit of Nashville and Gibson fine musical instruments will be preserved.

By the way, I have never respected a musician for smashing a guitar, no matter how great of a musician they are. I judge people on their character.

Archived