Gibson Brands Forums

Your amps

Tim Plains

What are your current amps and do you plan on buying one in the near future?

Not to be confused with a wish list.

I have a Marshall JCM 2000 with both cabs, a (crummy solid state) Marshall MG15CDR, Fender Blues Deluxe, and a Vox AC15. The next amp I'll likely buy is a Fender Super Champ.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only one in the line up. An older Crate bass combo (B20) running to a 4x12 Marshall, get a y connector, and have a 5x12. The 'ol Blue Bomber sounds pretty fat out of it.

I wouldnt mind an old Marshall head. They were too unpredictable back then. No two were the same ( in most cases)

Id really have to do some leg work, and most of the good ones are keepers and have been spoken for.

Im thinking between 1967 to about 1972

Absolutely nothing to brag on here. A 10 year old, pristine Line6 Duo and a new Bassman 250 2 X 12. No immediate amp purchase planned but would eventually like to explore the 5W tube neighborhood for a few different voices.

Currently own a Vox AC30 2x12 combo, a Vox Pathfinder 15R combo, a late 60s Fender princeton (all tube, hand wired), a couple of fender solid state combos (champion 110 and princeton with fx), a Roland JC120.

The only 2 that get used periodically are the vox pathfinder and ac30.

I'm currently (still) waiting for the Vox Nightrain.

I'm still playing the amps I bought back when I started playing.

1 JTM 50 1987 with a 8 -10 bottom 1990

2JCM800 2204 50 watt 2 1936 2 -12 cab one with 2 gt75's the other with 2 Greenbacks

3 Fender Power Chorus

4. Orange Tiny Terror with 2 CC212 Orange bottoms. One with 2 Vintage 30's and one with 1 30 and 1 G12H30

4 Epi EP1 battery powered and AC for practice.

I have it setup so I can change between heads and Speaker cabs while playing so you can imagine all the tones

I can get.

CW

Only ones I have now, are: Fender: (Sidekick 35R (Japan), Blues Junior, Hot Rod Deluxe, 1980 Twin Reverb (135 watt version). Marshall: AVT-20 practice amp. Past: (6) Vox Super Beatle amps, 1 '67 Fender Twin Reverb, 1 Fender '64 Bandmaster "piggy back," 1 (200 watt) Marshall "Major" Full Stack (tall boy cabs). The Vox amps, along with a complete Altec-Lansing "Voice of the Theater" PA, were part of a large purchase, for my band....and meant to be paid off, with part of our earnings. That, unfortunately, never happened, so...I Sold all that, when I stopped playing, 36 years ago. The Future....Who knows?! Just glad to have, what I have...now.

CB

i have a modded out champ 600 with mercury magnetics trannies and choke and weber alnico speaker...its loud enough for my small condo and breaks up nicely...

after i sound proof my guitar room im looking into ampegs...and princeton reverbs...i love fender tube amps for some reason..and i just recently played a buddy of mine's 68 ampeg...and that thing was SERIOUS!!

so thats why im gonna look into them some more but for now im just a small fender man myself

The next amp I was planning to buy was also the Fender Super Champ until I came across the Blackstar HT-5 ministack. I was searching for a little rehearsal tube amp with that bit of overdrive at low volume level and the Blackstar 5 Watter was just returning to me the sound that was in my head(Blackstar's tagline...).

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5/ht-5s.html

It has that Marshall look and sound, at one third of the price of the original ones. Apart from the Blackstar HT-5 I've always been a Fender amp addict as you can see, because of the true clean sound they provide, because they are reliable(never had any problems) and because they are cute...

I have:

Fender M-80 solid state amp

Two Stroke amp I built. It's basically an early Fender Princeton that has been modded. I have a 12" Emenence wizard speaker with it.

Currently building a Ceriatone OTS.

I have my eye on two more builds after the OTS is completed - a Train Wreck type amp and a Marshall 18watt

Mesa Stiletto Deuce head (first generation version, not the Stage II) through a Mesa 2x12 Three-Quarter Back cabinet

Peavey Rockmaster preamp and a Peavey Classic 60 power amp into a Joe's Sound & Salami Company (now known as Modular Sound) 2x12 cabinet with two Peavey Black Widows or Scorpions (I don't remember which).

Marshall Microstack - not the newer, an older one (in white!) I bought some time in the '80s

Fender Blues Junior - modified

1966 Fender Champ

I play the Blues Junior at home, the Champ needs to go in the shop as it's developed a buzz and use the Mesa rig with my band.

Been contemplating picking up a Vox AC30 CCX for a while now but haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money (that I don't have right now anyway). It'd be a lot more sensible than the Mesa with my band as I highly doubt I'll ever have an opportunity to take advantage of 100 watts but the Mesa sure does sound good anyway.

Still playing through what I've had. Fender Blues Jr. for the blues rig and the solid state 40w Eden Nemesis N8 for the hard stuff.

I think my next major purchase will be a bit bigger tube amp. The Alchemist sounded very promising....

I have a Peavey 5150 (the original 2 channel one) that I play through a 1994/95? Peavey 4X12 cab. I don't know what kind of cab it is. It's got Sheffield speakers in it. I use my 1/2 stack for gigs. I also have an old 100 watt Kustom 2X10 combo. It has ugly gold tuck & roll vinyl covering it. It sounds really awesome though. It has a nice reverb, and a tremolo built in. I got it for $15 dollars. For my practice amp I have one of those little 10 watt Marshall's with the headphone jack and an 8 inch speaker. I'm thinking about replacing that in the future with either an Epiphone Valve Jr, or one of the 5 watt Blackheart amps.

Currently I have a Vox ac15 and a Line6 Spider III 75W. I also have a G5 Yamaha that I got when I was about 13. So it's about a 1978.

I have pretty much given the Line 6 and the Yamaha to my son. When with the band I only use the Vox.

I have no plans to buy, trade or build a new amp.. I love the Vox.

At this time I play the Lonestar Special Head with an open back Vox 2x12,

and I A/B/Y it with a Fender Blues Jr. Ltd with celestion spkr.

Still got an old Fender Champ 12 in snakeskin and a Trace Elliot 30 for the acoustic.

Got my eye on a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade.

Currently I'm useing a BlackHeart HD 15w Combo with the Vox ToneLab infront.

Before getting the BH I was playing for 20+years through a Marshall 5213 Mosfet Combo

100 watts, 2x12" (Cel.Vintage 30)

For homeuse I've the Vox DA-5.

Actually no enhancement is proposed, maybe a second cab for the BH

Peter

I currently have just the Line 6 HD147 head I used to gig with through a Peavey 4x12 or Line 6 Vetta 2x12.

I've got a Bugera V5 5w practice amp on order though. I've been thinking about getting rid of the HD147 for a while as I only really play at home now, if I do I'll replace it with a decent 1x12 tube combo.

Fender Custom Shop Master Built Two-tone Really the baddest Blues Jr. Fender's ever built. 15 Watts and a bigger cabinet and two speakers (10X12).

Gibson Les Paul GA-5.

I would like to get my hands on a Marshall Silver Jubilee or a Fender '57 Deluxe. But for now I'm happy with what I have.

My giggin' amp is the Boogie Blue Angel 1;12 (V30) sittin' on a road case.

<<<<<<<<----------------------------------

My Prosonic 2;12 is a Flamethrower, but doesn't get out much.

I'm looking at picking up a 100 watt half stack for larger stages. I swapped my old JCM900 (4100/ 1960A) for the Prosonic when I played a Tele in a Country band for a few years.

I'm torn between several choices. Mk 5, 5150, (a real one), Legacy 1, or a Lonestar.

Good topic.

Murph.

Archived