Gibson Brands Forums

Your amps

Tim Plains

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Boogie Blue Angel 1x12 and a Marshall JTM30 1x12...I'm trying to find a Boogie Electra Dyne to try.

I'm hoping KSG buys one, then I can meet him in Lake Charles at a friends place for a 2 day Jam session, Crawfish/Shrimp/Crab boil with all the extras and borrow it!

Bwahahahahaha.

My amps are:

My new Mesa 5:25 Express Head and 3/4 back cabinet with a Celestion c90

Modded Epi Valve Junior Head and 1x12 cabinet (added and effects loop)

The Champ 600 Head I made and its 1x12 cabinet with a Weber Blue Dog

Peavey Classic 30 which I plan on selling since I just bought the Mesa, so no new amps for a while.

Almost forgot I have a Behringer GX108 SS for practice, it is a P.O.S. the only thing that saves it is that it has a CD input so I can run my Boss Micro BR through it. That makes it very ideal for practice since the Micro BR has effects, MP3 capability and drum machine. So I use that amp as a dummy.

I love my new Mesa amp (excpet for the weight of the speaker cabinet).

I hear ya.

My Boogie.....

<<<------------------

in the road case weighs 12,000 pounds......

I'm serious.....

6 tons....

Just sayin'......

Murph.

.... Well, from 1960s rock band experience, I'd note I'm not all that turned on by the Bandmaster. I was using a Delux Reverb at the time and it handled fine even with the Bandmaster and big Bassman Fenders.

I really wish I had that old Delux Reverb, though. A perfect little amp that was plenty loud for its day even in a pretty big auditorium.

In the first rock band, the early 60s brought high school kids like us some odd choices due to economics. Ever see a Silvertone from that era with the amp as part of the case? I understand somebody's doing reissues. Horrid, really. The kid with some sort of solid body (I really don't remember which, but it wasn't a Fender or Gibson) and a Gibson-labeled amp that looked like an old suitcase actually got presentable sound. I observed but was doing brass until my first summer out of high school and a commitment to learning guitar.

Currently I still have an 120-watt Aims Dual Twelve, a 70s piece that was one-up on the twin. It still sounds good, but it's way to heavy for an old guy to haul around. I dumped the Fender Leslie that weighed just as much.

The little amp that gets the most use is a little 30-watt Kustom acoustic amp I put into a suitcase carrier frame with wheels. The multi-effect box and Boss Leslie emlator sit on top for travel. It's maybe 35 pounds or so all told with a power strip bungied onto it.

The little amp does well enough for a solo gig to a 5-600 seat auditorium or in a 100 seat saloon without any growl, and I can move it easily.

Frankly the little Kustom was an economic choice based on parameters to basically duplicate the Delux Reverb in an inexpensive, under 40-pound box. I can run guitar and effects in one channel and a mike through a separate channel and it's enough for a small or even a solo sorta jazz or acoustic gig in a theater-type setting.

The big Aims (nope, no longer built, so thank heaven it's almost bullet-proof) actually is that basic concept supersized and with a few more frew-fraws.

Back to the Bandmaster and Bassman heads of the 60s. With four 10-inch speakers in cabs they didn't really have that much going for them in comparison to the Twin that I consider a better choice. It has more guts, really. It's also easier to haul. OTOH, the Delux is lighter, punches far beyond its apparent power and has some good options for a 40+ year old design, especially for small/medium solo venues.

Oh, why nothing Gibson? Easy. I haven't even seen a Gibson/Epi amp for sale, new or used, in 40 years off and on of looking at amps in music stores in this region. But it's kinda sparse where I live.

I got rid of all my high power HEAVY stuff [bad back] mostly Peavey and Fender stuff and misc. pedals in recent years and now just own a Krank Rev Jr. Pro and a Boss GT-10. I absolutely love this little head. And I use at least 10% of that GT-10's capability but the two make a wonderful throw in the truck and go rig.

My higher wattage shortlist now is:

BlackStar Series One if they ever start shipping the frankin things

Carvin Legacy II

Dr. Z-Maz Jr. 18 watt w/reverb

Fender 1965 Deluxe Reverb RI

Marshall JCM 2000 100watt 1/2 stack

and....

Marshall MS-2 mini 1/2 stack

2 SMOKEY mini amps

Boss 10 watt solid state practice amp

probably use the Dr. Z and the Fender most.

in the future i might like to get a Mack- Heatseeker or maybe a Skyraider-

tried one of the Heatseekers a while ago and they are great smaller tube amps

others i'm interested in are a Fender Blues Jr. and possibly a Matchless DC 30.

I have 4 amps, but for practical purposes only 2. My B52 AT6212 and Vox AD50VT.

I love the B52 when it's working right. Especially the Clean channel! Hangs with any Fender IMO. Sometimes it farts out on me though. I plan to change tubes soon and hopefully that fixes it.

The vox is a nice little practice amp and I let another guy use it for some gigs too. IMO, it's not too usefull for changing tones mid-song. You pretty much have to pick a tone and stay with it all song. If you set it right though, you can go from a pretty clean to nice overdrive just using your guitar's volume.

I also have an old beat up, scratchy (both sight and sound) Fender practice amp that just sits under a bed. Plus a Fender Stage that stays in our drummers basement. We run keyboards thru it at band practices.

My guitar rig consists of:

Marshall Kerry King Signature JCM 800 (For Dirty Sounds)

Peavey 6505+ (For Clean Sounds)

Two Marshall 1960B Cabinets

A six space rack with:

Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner

Shure ULXS14 Wireless System

KORG DTR-1000 Tuner

Dunlop DCR-1S Crybaby Rack Wah w/ two controllers

Rocktron Hush Super C

T.C. Electronic G Major (Used in the effects loop of the 6505+ head to add a nice chorus effect)

I've been waiting on a 1/4 watt Little Lanilei for 2 months. I have an ear splitting Fender 2-12 Hot Rod DeVille and a Fender Pro Junior. I'm happy, but I would be happier if my Lanillei would show up.

Archived