Gibson Brands Forums

Any construction/heating knowledgeable types here?

Gilliangirl

I am almost finished my music room. A friend built me a stage out of particle board (with maple vinyl on top) and it will be going in the corner. The problem is there is a heating vent there. I'm not worried about the loss of heat as there are two vents in the room and I have a nice electric fireplace going in too. But, I don't know what to do about the heating vent? Do I put the cover back on it and close it off? Do I leave it open and let the heat waft through under the stage? Do I cover it with aluminum foil and close it off? I don't want to start any fires. The stage (underneath) is hollow, but there are other pieces (squares) of particle board supporting it so if the heat was left to enter the area it would probably not be able to circulate very well, is my thought.

Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Murph, I can't put another vent in the stage because it's a corner unit and therefore the only place to exhaust it would be out the front, which would look really bad. So I guess I'll have to close it. Do I cover it up with aluminum foil or does it matter?

I wouldn't think it would matter. It's not like flames shoot out of it now' date=' ya know.....

Just close it, and forget it.

Best to ya, Karen....

Murph.[/quote']

Thanks Murph. Did you get your tube amp fixed?

Yea, thanks for caring.

It (always is) was a tube. But the deal was, I had just replaced the 5 preamps tubes with new JJ's. Turned out 2 out of 5, 2/5ths were bad. One was bad out of the box, the other took under 2 weeks.

Let's just say I'm done with JJ's.

Best to ya.....

Murphster......

Yea, thanks for caring.

It (always is) was a tube. But the deal was, I had just replaced the 5 preamps tubes with new JJ's. Turned out 2 out of 5, 2/5ths were bad. One was bad out of the box, the other took under 2 weeks.

Let's just say I'm done with JJ's.

Best to ya.....

Murphster......

Murph it looks like you have the Delay on' date=' stomp on that bad boy to get rid of that echo...[/quote']

The site is weird tonight.

It was down the other day.

That's my story......

He, heeee......

You should cap that vent off. If possible remove the leg to the vent and cover that opening. It won't hurt anything.

+1

Capping will also increase the air flow to other vents throughout the system. So if you have a room that stays a bit cool in the winter it may be more tolerable. I doubt in Texas that will matter much except for cool air needs.

Archived