Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter vs D-28 (HD-28)

HNS

Does anybody here own or have experience with comparing these two guitars ? Do they have too much in common tonewise? I've tried to compare them at the local GC but have found the martin with dead strings which detracts from the comparison.

I guess both guitars were mid-rangey in general, the SWD more so and probably a tad louder than the HD-28 it was also drier (woodier) and brighter , on the other hand the HD-28 was darker and fuller.

I didn't feel that they were close tone wise, would that be correct ?

Cheers

I have recently completed my journey of choosing the ultimate acoustic guitar. I played, among others, HD28, D35, Songwriter Deluxe, J45. I compared sound & action to my previous main ride, a Simon & Patrick Showcase Flame Maple (Godin, Quebec. the S&P is to the Seagull what the Caddy is to the Saturn sedan).

The Martin D35 stood out amongst the others tested because of its full, rich sound. And loud...Bluegrassers will love it...but having to install electronics in it after-market adds cost, and Martin scored low in the beauty pageant.

Overall winner: SWD. balanced tone across the spectrum, not boomy; it'll gain bass as it cures, i'm sure. Easy to hold and play, stunning good looks, and as good a price as I could expect to pay for such as this.

I found the HD-28 somewhat bass-y but not at all unpleasant. I'd own one, if I had more money than good sense.

I have recently completed my journey of choosing the ultimate acoustic guitar. I played' date=' among others, HD28, D35, Songwriter Deluxe, J45. I compared sound & action to my previous main ride, a Simon & Patrick Showcase Flame Maple (Godin, Quebec. the S&P is to the Seagull what the Caddy is to the Saturn sedan).

The Martin D35 stood out amongst the others tested because of its full, rich sound. And loud...Bluegrassers will love it...but having to install electronics in it after-market adds cost, and Martin scored low in the beauty pageant.

Overall winner: SWD. balanced tone across the spectrum, not boomy; it'll gain bass as it cures, i'm sure. Easy to hold and play, stunning good looks, and as good a price as I could expect to pay for such as this.

I found the HD-28 somewhat bass-y but not at all unpleasant. I'd own one, if I had more money than good sense.[/quote']

Ditto.

I have recently completed my journey of choosing the ultimate acoustic guitar. I played' date=' among others, HD28, D35, Songwriter Deluxe, J45. I compared sound & action to my previous main ride, a Simon & Patrick Showcase Flame Maple (Godin, Quebec. the S&P is to the Seagull what the Caddy is to the Saturn sedan).

I found the HD-28 somewhat bass-y but not at all unpleasant. I'd own one, if I had more money than good sense.[/quote']

But did you feel the SWD to be a bit brighter/midrangier than the HD-28 ? that was my limited/flawed experience. I agree that the HD-28 was "pleasantly more bassy"and quite different than a SWD in tone. Both good guitars though.

Cheers

Hisham

Archived