Gibson Brands Forums

Need everyones help! Playing at bar: Need songs!

Basshole

Ok are band "Alida" is going to be playing at a bar. This bar mostly brings in mid 20's college students. I would like music that is good to play in a bar. We need about 3 1/2 hours of material. I might be bumbing this for awhile.

I have Freebird and Layla on demand for when A drunk person screams it out.

So far I have:

Def Leppard:Pour some sugar on me

Red Hot Chili Peppers:Dani California

AC/DC:Highway to Hell

Gotta have "Young Lust" by Pink Floyd, and "Low" by Cracker. Both are fairly easy to learn.

If you can pull it off, "Swamp Music" by Skynyrd is fun song. Gets the dance floor hoppin'.

Long time ago, my buds and I used to play at a bunch of hole in the wall redneck joints, and we'd do the "Munsters" theme for a break song. I kid you not, it was always the song that would pack the dance floor. It was hilarious to watch people get off to that song. =D>

I'll Be Your Man - Black Keys

How come You Don't Call Me- Alicia Keys

Who Do You Love - Bo Diddley

Ground On Down - Ben Harper

Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones

Those are my favorites, depending on the bar. And the Alicia Keys song- don't knock it until you try it. The guys I jam with laughed until we ran through it. Now it's a staple.

Can't Let Go - Lucinda Williams

Those are my favorites, depending on the bar. And the Alicia Keys song- don't knock it until you try it. The guys I jam with laughed until we ran through it. Now it's a staple.

Can't Let Go - Lucinda Williams

Sunshine Of Your Love-Cream

Smoke On The Water-Deep Purple

Cinnamon Girl-Neil Young

Folsom Prison Blues-Johnny Cash

Gimme Three Steps, Sweet Home Alabama, Simple Man-Lynyrd Skynyrd

One Way Out-Allman Brothers

Get Back, You Can't Do That, Come Together, Back In The USSR-Beatles

Honky Tonk Women, Satisfaction, Start Me Up, Last Time-Rolling Stones

That's a start, anyway...for some "Classic Rock" stuff...

CB

If you have Keyboards, too...

I'm A Man, Gimme Some Lovin'...Spencer Davis Group

Whiter Shade of Pale (good slow song) Procol Harum

Nights in White Satin...Moody Blues

Margaritaville...Jimmy Buffet

My Life, Piano man...Billy Joel

Hang On Sloopy...The McCoys

My Little Red Book...Love

Some others:

Browned Eyed Girl...Van Morrison

Cocaine...Eric Clapton's version.

Foxy Lady...Hendrix

Gloria...Them

Pretty Woman...Roy Orbison/Van Halen

Almost any CCR

Twist & Shout/Labamba...medley

maybe some more, later... ;>)

CB

I would say as it is for a young audience these kind of songs would be good.

Take Me Out-Franz Ferdinand

Are We Human or Are We Dancers-The Killers

Ruby-kesiser Chiefs

Angry Mob-Keiser Chiefs

Wonderwall-Oasis

song 3 (may be the wrong title LOL)- Blur

Good Ridance-Green Day

American Idiot-Green Day

Lithiam-Nirvanna

and then classics along the line of

Sweet Home Alabama-Lynard Skynard

Cross Roads-Cream

Rock and Roll-Led Zeppelin

All Right Now-Free

Foxy Lady/Purple Haze-Hendrix

Knockin On Heavens Door-Dylan

please let us know how it went!

Matt

AC/DC, but don't freakin' do "You Shook Me All Night Long". I'm talking something like: "Bad Boy Boogie", "Whole Lotta Rosie", "Love Hungry Man", "Squealer", "Givin' The Dog A Bone", or "Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution."

Drinking Beer + AC/DC = Awesomeness

By far, the three most popular, and/or requested songs for a bar band in my neck of the woods are:

#1. Mustang Sally

#2. Brown Eyed Girl

#3. Gimme Three Steps

There seems to be no age boundries for the popularity of these songs among drunken bar patrons.

AC/DC' date=' but don't freakin' do "You Shook Me All Night Long". I'm talking something like: "Bad Boy Boogie", "Whole Lotta Rosie", "Love Hungry Man", "Squealer", "Givin' The Dog A Bone", or "Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution."

Drinking Beer + AC/DC = Awesomeness

[/quote']

Apparently, "The Jack" is popular around here. Must be because nobody knows what the "jack" really is!

Apparently' date=' "The Jack" is popular around here. Must be because nobody knows what the "jack" really is![/quote']

Well? What is it?

I don't think it's a card, or a thing that lifts your car up.

Well? What is it?

I don't think it's a card' date=' or a thing that lifts your car up.[/quote']

It's a reference to venereal disease. Either chlamydia or gonorrhea--I can't remember which off-hand.

But if she's got the "jack," you don't want it!

A mid 20s bar crowd might want to hear modern stuff. The problem with a lot of modern music is, the pop songs are mostly studio creations that don't do well in a small live band situation, and the rock songs are are almost all in drop D or some other low tuning.

Some classic rock songs that I found have wide appeal and will get people on the dance floor are:

Hurts So Good - John Cougar (Mellancamp)

Pride and Joy or House Is Rockin - SRV

Can't Get Enough - Bad Company

Some good 80s songs that always get a reaction are:

Jenny 867-5309

What I like About You (same chord prog as R.O.C.K. in the USA)

Personally, I like Buckcherry, but Homz thinks "Too Drunk" is just a little too vulgar to do in most places. (He's an old fogie). I won't even tell you what he thinks of "Crazy B!tch."

I *do NOT* dance if I can help it, so I'm afraid I'm not much help in that category. Though, I have noticed that even the most redneck of bars gets a huge crowd on the floor for "Play That Funky Music."

Well.... regardless of the song, a bit of creativity instead of a 2:30 cover of a record will help - It did from what I'm told long before I was around, let alone playing music.

For Zample, normally in a three piece, you've a guitar, bass and drum - or guitar keyboard with base fill and drum. Let the guitar forget the heavier rhythm or lede thing and do a reeeeally empty vamp at chord changes and let the bass guy show his chops a big... then the guitar and base both back off and let the drum guy do something. Even if you have to think differently, it can really stretch a song without being redundant, lets you do your "cover" and yet also lets you get a bit individually creative.

So your two minute-thirty second cover can end up running 10 or more just with the above in a trio since you let it go a verse or two and a bridge.

Then you could also have a conversation between the bass and the guitar, guitar and drums... swapping measures more or less with the same sort of theme....

So even with a trio, now we're at 15 minutes on a piece you already know. Come home to the "cover" sound if you will at the end of the thing.

..... And of course there always are standards that aren't too hard to catch up with regardless of the age in a rock oriented bar. You can always run Stormy Monday for 15 minutes or so with a little swapping back and forth on "lead." Yeah, a guy who's pretty low on new chords playing rhythm may wonder what to do, but the advantage of a guitar is the way barre chords can be shuffled up and down the neck a fret and still have it "fit" a song. Ain't gotta be really fancy to add a different sound.

Another is House of the Rising Sun that I've done in one version or another for 45 years. Heck, forget the pick, forget the finger style and just form chords and drum with your slightly tightened fingers against all the strings together near the bridge for a "rhythm guitar lead."

Several 1960s number ones only had a dozen words or so repeated over and over...

You can do Louie Louie for half an hour just hollering gibberish.

Forget the words? Just kinda talk in the theme of the song. That works especially well with any blues.

Just some ideas if your gig is coming soon and you've only got 15-20 songs ready to go. Stretch what you've got with a little creativity. Music hasn't changed so much the past cupla hundred years - heck, cupla thousand, perhaps.

A look and sound of confidence will go a long way. Heck, maybe they don't know you forgot the words! I've seen guys do the old classic "blue moon" with maybe one verse they could remember for vocals, but a talking "Little darling, I remember the night we met.... and the moon was blue until I met you..." with little guitar backtalk in pauses.

m

While I wanted to give you suggestions like China Grove and Fly like and Eagle I realized that you will be playing to a younger crowd so only a few of the oldies should be used.

Usually, I'm not steeped into most of the young "what is popular" music today, however I was sent this video of a new song that I think you should consider.

Archived