Gibson Brands Forums

setting action to factory spec but G string is bottoming out

BlueLightWas

factory spec is 5/64 at the 12th fret to the bottom of the low E, and 3/64 at the 12th fret for the high E.

I bought the guitar and the action was much lower, and i noticed a slight buzz on the g string so I raised the action. I have to bring the high E up to 4/64ths to get the thing to stop buzzing.

I have some time and can return the guitar. I just payed a bunch of money and don't want to start filing frets. What do you guys think? I did add some relief but I'm not sure if I should keep fiddling. 1/64th is quite a bit.

Stupid question - do you you guys think think I have a lemon and that I should keep looking for another?

Put it back the way it was ...

Does the palce you bought it from have someone who can properly set up the guitar? That might be all that is needed.

Or you could take it to a luthier yourself and ask them about it.

Are you still using the strings it had on it from new? If it has sat around in the shop awhile, those strings could be fooked. The G usually goes bad first. Try changing the strings and trying again with a new set on. Use 10s.

Good suggestions on the string I will try that.

My buddy is telling me it's impossible t remove all rattles so it could just be me being super picky :-) Do you guys agree with my friend?

The place is guitar center, it has a luthier but usually not there, and I'd use the term luthier loosely for this particular guy. I've been playing for 35 years and have been setting relief, intonation, bridge hight for a long time and I usually don't have a problem unless the frets are not level, but these don't appear to be. . I've even worked on high frets before but any mistake is impossible to undo and at this price I would have expected the guy at the factory get that right. I'll try the string. If that doesn't work I'll bring it back and ask them to try but I don't want to let it sit for a week or two

If you are happy with the rest of the guitar, and the buzz isn't a problem when plugged in, maybe you are being picky. If it was choking on bends I'd be a bit more concerned.

Bear in mind that the figures quoted by Gibson are set with a capo at the first fret. If you have set the action without a capo, your string height is actually slightly lower than 'factory spec', and buzzing is more likely to occur.

Well factory specs are a guide. Have it set up by a professional GTR tech. Tell em exactly what you need and want. SRV had high action and heavier strings, Me uses 10's. Make sure the NUT doesn't need a recutting for the G string. Perhaps that's all it needs to stop buzzing. I sometimes slip a small piece of paper under the string at the nut to see if it stops buzzing tuned @ A440 concert pitch. If it does it's the nut most likely.:-

I think these guitars tend to be a little tougher to set up than other's. Took me some time to get the bridge height and relief where I wanted it with minimal unplugged buzz. I haven't measured it properly, don't have anyway really to get an accurate measurement but do my set ups by feel, once it feels right I mark everything.

You may be being too picky, if it doesn't rattle plugged in your fine. I doubt it is uneven frets but could be. If it really bothers you get them checked out, if they need work then return the guitar.

great advice all. I will get to it late tonight when I free up from my other obligations.

One of you asked why the factory settings? The only reason is that I wanted to start there. If can't make it work at those settings then it would mean it was born that way :-)

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I'm sure the frets are level.

Here's the scoop - I put on new strings and set to factory specs and it's just fine.

BTW I've never owned a high end gibson before (once I owned a gibson S1 when I was in the late 70's). I did pay $1200 for a new strat ultra in the mid nineties when it was hard to find a strat that expensive. Before now I usually thought why pay all that money when you could find a less expensive guitar that does the job. I have to say I really get it now. I very much appreciate the quality of these guitars when they are done right. They are worth the money and that's coming from a cheapskate who owns lots of guitars bought used at under $200 plus some nice mid priced asian imports.

I love my SG :-)

One thing may be the truss rod is too tight and not giving the correct bow to the neck. A check is to hold down your strings on the first and last frets and see if there is a little room between the 12th fret and the string(s). You should have a little space, about then 0.8mm where the string doesn't touch the fret. That good.

- or -

You may have a fret that is raised up for some reason. The only way to be sure, is to get a good quality straight edge and walk your way up and down the fretboard, checking at lease 5 or 6 frets at a time.

I agree, there is a difference when you pay more. My Dot fine, but my SG is splendid.

I'm sure the frets are level.

Here's the scoop - I put on new strings and set to factory specs and it's just fine.

BTW I've never owned a high end gibson before (once I owned a gibson S1 when I was in the late 70's). I did pay $1200 for a new strat ultra in the mid nineties when it was hard to find a strat that expensive. Before now I usually thought why pay all that money when you could find a less expensive guitar that does the job. I have to say I really get it now. I very much appreciate the quality of these guitars when they are done right. They are worth the money and that's coming from a cheapskate who owns lots of guitars bought used at under $200 plus some nice mid priced asian imports.

I love my SG :-)

I almost always start out by putting a new set of strings on a new guitar. It is amazing how much buzz and tuning trouble that can cure!

I have recently discovered the benefits of graphite nut lube too.

It is, of course, important to get the right guage of strings. I believe all Gibson electrics (solid bodies anyway) are set for 10s as standard.

I use D'Addario 0.9 - 42's on my SG for super bends, I get some buzzing with these but who notices with ultra distortion? Also Alixir 10 - 46 on my Dot for the warm sound, smooth rhythm grooves.

Reading in the tone & timber site, they say even a little buzzing is killing the primary harmonic so I keep my rhythm strings a bit high and buzz free.

Archived