Gibson Brands Forums

Pots and treble

Kiwi

Members of the everythingsg-forum might recognize this thread, but I chose to post it here too to get some more responses.

Hey there!

I was thinking about upgrading my pots in my SG Special Faded to 500K ones, but I'm not really too sure about what kinds I'm supposed to use. I know there are linear and audio-type pots, but I have no idea about which of them go to the tone controls and volume controls.

Also, a problem I've always had with my guitar is that the bridge pickup (the neck pickup is kind of bright too, but not as much) has way too much treble, which is something that not only I, but also my bandmates have pointed out. I'm talking about ear piercing levels of treble when I play completely clean and on high volumes. As far as I know, 500k pots are useful for broadening the range that the tone knob can work effectively in (something that I feel is needed) but also make the sound brighter. Should I go ahead and choose a lower value for the bridge pickup than the one I have today? (I'm guessing about 300k?).

I don't think this has anything to do with the pickup either, because I had this problem before when I used the original 490T pickup and it was part of the reason why I changed it (I also thought it had a rather boring sound, which this pickup obviously doesn't have). I've also tried adjusting the height, but it doesn't have a lot of impact on the treble.

Does this mean I should try small value pots (like those used for single coils) or does it have anything to do with the caps? I have no idea when it comes to that kind of things, so if you have any good resources that I can read up on, please tell me.

Thanks guys

Sorry for all the text!

PS.

I've heard that low-value pots choke the tone quite a bit, and this is obviously something I don't want.

Hi Kiwi, I'm sorry, I don't know anything about pots and how they can affect your tone. In fact, what you wrote has sparked my interest. I didn't even think that the pots could change your sound. I thought they were all the same. =D>

If your guitar has too much treble have you considered adjusting the settings on your amp to compensate? That's what I'd do. I'd rather do that than get out my soldering iron. I see where you're coming from though, as far as having a wider range for your tone knobs.

Hi Kiwi' date=' I'm sorry, I don't know anything about pots and how they can affect your tone. In fact, what you wrote has sparked my interest. I didn't even think that the pots could change your sound. I thought they were all the same. :-

If your guitar has too much treble have you considered adjusting the settings on your amp to compensate? That's what I'd do. I'd rather do that than get out my soldering iron. I see where you're coming from though, as far as having a wider range for your tone knobs. [/quote']

I too thought that the amp was the problem at first, but after experiencing this problem in three different amps (my Epiphone Valve Junior, a Randall 100-watt head at band practice and some Laney combo which I think was either 30 or 50 watts) I've started to doubt that the amps are the problem. Also, the other guitarist in our band, who has a Strat, hasn't had this problem either with my Epi or the Randall (he hasn't tried the Laney though).

And as you said, a wider tone knob range wouldn't be all bad either.

Thanks anyway

I have, and it does work to some extent, not as much as I want though. Also, since I'm after an Angus Young-type sound, I want my pickups pretty high (as he has, and I wouldn't say that the treble in his tone is nowhere near mine when it comes to roughness).

I see' date=' well then what you really want to do is find out what pots come on the Angus signature model.[/quote']

That's not a bad idea, I'll look it up. Thanks! :-

Your SG has 500k tone pots and 300k volume pots. Tone pots will be audio taper. If you buy new ones, you'll want audio taper. That means there is a gradual effect as you roll the pot. A linear taper basically serves as an on/off switch at around 3. 0-3 sounds like 0. 3-10 sounds like 10. Make sense?

Why oh why are you playing clean with the bridge pickup?? Bridge pickups are supposed to sound trebly. Try using the neck pickup for that. If you insist on using the bridge pickup, try playing with your amps settings and also roll down your guitar's tone pot. That should help.

Here's what I suggest. Do an internet search for "RS Guitarworks." Check out their on-line store and see what they have and how much things cost. If you replace your pots, I suggest you also replace your caps. If you search through that website, you should find out what pots your guitar takes. After you've looked around a bit, I suggest you call RS, tell them what guitar you have, what tone you're after and then ask if they ship to Europe. If it's not economically viable for you to buy from RS, well, at least you know a little more about the subject and can start looking elsewhere for pots/caps.

If you want the Angus sound, you want his amp and cab. Changing pots is just tinkering at the edges of the problem I'm afraid. For the most open sound (particularly crunchy chords) I personally favour 500K volume pots. If you need to roll off some treble, there is plenty of scope to do that with the amp's eq and the guitar's tone pot. Using 500K volumes gives you the widest range of sounds. With 300K or 250K volume pots, quite a bit of the top end is bled off to earth. Players such as Steve Vai and Allan Holdsworth use them - but their sound is very different to AC/DC ! The biggest improvements to your tone will come from choosing an appropriate amplifier and cab.

I've decided, after I've read your input, that I'm going to get 500K pots anyway. Mainly because I want better clarity in chords and stuff. I'll see how my tone changes from there and see what I can do...

Archived