Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone swapped out bridge pins on their Advanced Jumbo?

Taylor Player

I am wondering if anyone has swapped out the bridge pins on their Advanced Jumbo. I really like my AJ but have never liked the plastic bridge pins that came standard on it. It has a bone saddle and tusq nut standard and then came with what looks like cheap plastic bridge pins. I am thinking about switching to ebony or bone pins. Any idea what size they are if ordered online? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I've switched most of my pins out. I've gone to bone in a majority of them, but have also used ebony. To tell you the truth, I haven't noticed much tonal difference. But then again, everyone's ears are different. Some people do notice a difference.

I've always ordered size 2A and they seem to fit fine.

I've switched most of my pins out. I've gone to bone in a majority of them' date=' but have also used ebony. To tell you the truth, I haven't noticed much tonal difference. But then again, everyone's ears are different. Some people do notice a difference.

I've always ordered size 2A and they seem to fit fine. [/quote']

I also don't believe that bridge pins affect tone much. I prefer bone saddles in my Gibson and Larrivee but actually prefer the tusq in my Taylor. I am just not thirilled with the "look" of the white plastic pins. I actually think a nice ebony pin with a little abolone dot might look pretty sharp on my "Beast"

BoneCrusher.jpg

Beauty_Beast_Larri.jpg

Has anyone tried the Gibson-brand rosewood bridge pin set they sell online? I order them from musiciansfriend just to try on my J-45. They look unique...sort of a brown that matches the bridge. I found the plastic pins to be rather ordinary. I'm not sure it affects the sound either way...if so its probably placebo effect anyway.

If it were me' date=' I think I'd either go with an ebony pin with a MOP dot (to match your fret inlays) or a buffalo horn pin (either with or without a MOP dot).[/quote']

I was just on Bob Colosi's web site and was kind of likeing the buffalo horn pin's. I am leaning toward with the dot for the reason you suggested about the fret inlays. Ebony would also be nice and probably cheaper cost as well. I think I would like black pins instead of white. The white just looks out of place.

Hi everyone,

Although I haven't swapped pins on any of my Gibsons (yet!), I have done so on some of my other (think "M"!) guitars. In many cases I have tried bone, FWI, rosewood and ebony, and have heard a noticeable difference, but haven't always kept the new pins in the guitar!

Sometimes the plastic pins are just absolutely the right thing for my ears; YMMV.

Dave in SLC

I was just on Bob Colosi's web site and was kind of likeing the buffalo horn pin's. I am leaning toward with the dot for the reason you suggested about the fret inlays. Ebony would also be nice and probably cheaper cost as well. I think I would like black pins instead of white. The white just looks out of place.

Bob makes good pins and I've got some of his in my guitars. Here's another source for buffalo horn and ebony pins.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bridge-End-Pin-Set-Buffalo/T1114

Guest NattyBumppo

My AJ with bone pins from Bob Colosi (the saddle in the pic was from him also, an ivory blank). I too have never heard any difference in tone or sustain just from a pin switch. I know many people say they do, I guess my ears aren't that great. I just prefer the look.

GibCustomAJ_2.jpg

i replaced the plastic with some cheapo rosewood pins (not the gibson ones)...i don't think there's much tonal difference but they're nice to look at...the ones i'm using are made by a company called 'pickboy'...i bought them here in japan, but imagine they're available in the states too...probably about $10...i had to do a little 'refining' of one of the string notches (or whatever they're called) to get the pin to sit flush, otherwise they all fit no problem...

My AJ with bone pins from Bob Colosi (the saddle in the pic was from him also' date=' an ivory blank). I too have never heard any difference in tone or sustain just from a pin switch. I know many people say they do, I guess my ears aren't that great. I just prefer the look.

[img']http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m181/pitchm/Gibson%20Custom%20Shop%20AJ/GibCustomAJ_2.jpg[/img]

Now that actually looks very nice with the black dot's. I was thinking black with abalone but this is very nice looking too.

Guest NattyBumppo
Natty.....

What size pins did you order? Are they the standard Martin/Gibson size or are they larger. They look much larger than my Taylor and Larrivee pins for some reason.

Hey Paul,

This is the second Gibson I've replaced pins with ones from Bob Colosi. According to Bob, you really can't go by any "standard" size where Gibson is concerned. He seems to think they use whatever is pulled from the bins when the finish every guitar. Funny, when I ordered pins from him for one of my other, well known American made guitars he knew right away what size it would be, and he was spot on. I lucked out both times I ordered with the Gibsons....had to sand a couple of the lower string pins just a bit but that's it. I THINK I ordered size 1 pins both times but really don't remember. I checked my receipt and it doesn't show the size either.

Call and talk to Bob. He is one of the nicest guys you could speak with and he'll do everything to ge it right for you. If you can stop at a local shop with your guitar and pick up a single plastic pin that fits, you can send him one of your pins so he can match the size with the ones you order. That's probably the best way to know you'll get a good fit.

NB

Thanks Natty and GuitarStrummer....

The pins are definatly larger than in my Taylor and Larrivee so I am guessing 2A also. I need to go buy a caliper so I can do my measurements for the replacement pins. I guess it is likely a tool I will continue to use as I play with "fine tuning" my guitars. I think I am going with the bone pins with both abalone and black inlay on them. They are pretty sharp! Now all I need to do is measure.........

Guest NattyBumppo
Thanks Natty and GuitarStrummer....

The pins are definatly larger than in my Taylor and Larrivee so I am guessing 2A also. I need to go buy a caliper so I can do my measurements for the replacement pins. I guess it is likely a tool I will continue to use as I play with "fine tuning" my guitars. I think I am going with the bone pins with both abalone and black inlay on them. They are pretty sharp! Now all I need to do is measure.........

I think the black w/abalone will look fantastic! Mike (Guitarstrummer) is correct....Bob C. will be happy to exchange them for you if they don't fit, provided you haven't sanded them or anything like that. Rather than buy a caliper, I'd bring one of the existing pins with you to a local shop and match it up with a new one and send that pin to Bob. Much less expensive and sooner or late you'll probably have a need for that one extra pin. Just a thought.

Good luck. Please treat us to a pic of the pins when you get them installed in your guitar!

I've got a set of camel bone pins with tortoise dots on my new AJ. Didn't really hear a big difference, but they look better, and won't wear as bad as plastic pins. Plus they make me feel warm and fuzzy, so... I've got that going for me. ;-)

Cheers,

Chris

AJ_bridge.jpg

I have found consistently (on 6 Gibson guitars) that the standard size 2A pin (purported to be the correct size for Gibsons) is slightly too large. The result is that they sit too high (with the decorative bottom "ring" bottom edge sitting a millimeter proud of the surface of the bridge.) To me they looked out of place sitting this high...like they weren't fully seated.

Bryan England sells slightly smaller (.203") tapered bone pins (both antique and bleached white) that fit very nicely (J-185, J-200, AJ, J200Jr.). The "ring" sits with it's bottom surface perfectly co-planar with the rear bridge surface. Gives a nice, neat look....

If you order from Bryan you need to specify "for Gibson" rather than just 2A. I've twice sent 2A's back in exchange for the smaller taper versions...

Cheers, Cryoman

I put Ebony pins in my 05 AJ. I can tell the difference It's not as bright as it was with the bone. Normally I use Bone with Rosewood. With the AJ Ebony ,to me is a better match. While i'm here ,I've noticed that most of theAJs I've seen do not have a heel cap. My 05 does I thought this was due to it being a Historic model.I've seen other 05s with out the heel cap.Did Gibson put them on when they felt like it or what,does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...
I put Ebony pins in my 05 AJ. I can tell the difference It's not as bright as it was with the bone. Normally I use Bone with Rosewood. With the AJ Ebony ' date='to me is a better match. While i'm here ,I've noticed that most of theAJs I've seen do not have a heel cap. My 05 does I thought this was due to it being a Historic model.I've seen other 05s with out the heel cap.Did Gibson put them on when they felt like it or what,does anyone know?[/quote']

My '02 AJ has no heel cap.

My Sheryl Crow came with plastic pins also. They look tacky. Anyone replace them with Tusq pins? If yes' date=' what size?[/quote']

I have a set of Tusq pins in one of my guitars, but to tell you the truth, I can't tell much visual difference between the Tusq and plastic. If you want to change to something else and you don't want ebony, rosewood, or some other wood, I'd suggest bone over the Tusq.

Archived