Gibson Brands Forums

Are Truly good bassist going out of style now-a-days?

Basshole

This discludes funk/Slap/Crap because they have there own level Dante's Inferno.

It seems that there are no great bassist now. Most of them play simple stuff. They don't fill in the space. Bassist stay back and don't do much. Now granted sometimes the song calls for something simple. But you look John Entwistle, John paul Jones, Geddy Lee They stay in the pocket but they move the pocket around.

It seems like truly good bass playing is going out of style.

Well, great bassist are around, as are great musicians, of all instruments. It's a matter of finding

them. "Popular Music" nowadays seems more about "image" than "great" music, with some exceptions,

obviously. But it's really not like the '60's and early '70's, when there was not only more complicated

arrangements, and playing...but great vocals, and harmonies, too. But, it's still out there...if you care to look for it.

CB

Good Musicians in general are a dying breed.

No, they're just not marketable. You'll never see another Aretha Franklin. Average looks with jaw dropping talent. We get bling and cool hair. The talent is there, you just have to dig.

No' date=' they're just not marketable. You'll never see another Aretha Franklin. Average looks with jaw dropping talent. We get bling and cool hair. The talent is there, you just have to dig. [/quote']

+1

Where's the incentive to be a "great" bassist or guitarist or anything else?

Unless you're pretty, who seems to care if you're talented?

I notice bass players as much as I do guitar players. I prefer the sound of a one guitarist band where the bassist has to hold his own.

THANK YOU ROCKY!

Thats what I like. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Personally I have no need for a rythmn guitarist. When my brother solo's I Follow what he is doing but keep the beat. When he is playing rythmn I fill out the sound were he doesn't. I don't have to shred to do so. I play melodies all over the bass. Brisk but not fast.

I am a busy bass player, I fill the sound, I keep the rythmn when everybodies looses it, I stay in the pocket and move it around, other bass players look at me and ask me if could teach them.

What is our world coming too?

If any of you guys has like Moog Taurus Pedal Board, I would like to buy it.

You guys are right. They good musicians are out there, but they aren't marketable. Popular music has become more of a product than art. I don't mind though, it makes finding good bands more special.

Brent from Mastodon is good. As is Jared from

Archived