Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul vs. Telecaster

djroge1

I played a tele for the first time in like 10 years the other day at GC. I did like it and it did sound cool thru a little Fender Princeton. What I liked is the modern bridge - I hate those old ashtray bridges. This one also had a push button on one of the controls; when engaged it placed the pick-ups in series I think. It sounded good in all settings.

However, I personally like the feel of a LP better. I like the fret nibs and the balance of a LP.

I've owned the same Tele for 31 years. I've owned maybe 3 or 4 other Teles in that time too. They were all different.

I got my first LP in 1985. Since then I've had a dozen or more, from an original '55 gold top to some Kalamazoo stuff, some Nashville stuff, and even two '69 Personals thrown in for good measure. I've had my Norlin sandwich body '71 gold top Deluxe for 12 years now and I'll never part with it; it just has a vibe the others didn't. And even within the other ones, some were great, some were boring, one was a POS all day long and twice on Sundays.

They're just different animals is all. None are better than the others, it's just in what moves you to play. Some inspire, some make us want to walk in front of a bus. And the next guy might feel totally different about the same instruments.

I'd have to agree with CB on this....I personally think both are good for different things...I own 1 Tele...Many LP's...I also think when recording 2 different guitar tracks in the studio a Les Paul and a Tele sound good together....Back with the original lineup of GN'R, Izzy used Tele's quite a bit and the mixed well with Slash's Les Paul.

I have had both guitars at or near custom levels and while I really did luv my Tele but it was trying to hard to be a LP; seriously. With 2 red lace sensors and a blue at the neck the thing was a huge rock powerhouse but it was unable to do one thing. Sound like a Tele' date=' it did not have the Tele twang but this was a heavy guitar and was actually uncomfortable to play sitting down etc. Although it had growl for weeks with those red sensors and was a great gigging axe with the tremolo and the roller nut and the hipshot tremsetter it would stay in tune pretty dang good. I regret selling it but never would buy this version of that guitar again. Memory serves it was a special order from the custom shop and a bud of mine owned a guitar shop in the UP and a airforce guy paid the deposit to have the guitar ordered but never paid the balance and picked it up. The guitar and case came to $1500 in 1989 so it was a better Tele might not been a custom shop but was a special order. I have done some research on the guitar and it looks to have been a Tele Ultra Plus; it was a killer guitar.

Speaking of there is a Strat version of that guitar in this area; wish I had the extra cash right now I would buy it. I did like those lace sensors. I played at a place in Hartford Ct called "A bar with no name" and the bandstand was right in the front of the bar so those walking by could see the band and hear us. Huge neon's and those sensors didn't mind at all; even the single coils in the RG550 hated that place.

I will within a few years (maybe toward the end of this year) pick up a blond tele with the F-Hole. I like those. But like all things I got to get up off my butt and put in the hours to pay for these toys. Until then my Variax does a decent passable tele sound. [/quote']

If it wasn't for the fact that the Telecaster is the same price as a Gibson SG and 300 dollars less than a Traditional pro i would get one but right now Gibson has to many sweet deals to pass up.

I already have a Telecaster anyways so i am looking for a Gibson, My Telecaster is a real 1959 Tele.

Yeah, one can "customize"or "mod" the original tone(s) right out of any guitar!

WHY? If one want's a LP get one! Tele...get one. Strat..get one. Maybe "mod" them slightly for

personal preferences, but..why even try to mod them into being something they "Just ain't!" LOL!

CB

Nothing! They're two completely different guitars...in all aspects. What makes a difference in your

preference' date=' for one over the other, would be totally up to you. :>)

CB[/quote']

+1000

I mostly play my Tele at home because it sounds great with just a hair of overdrive on it and is very unforgiving which makes me try to play more precisely. I mostly play my Les Paul with my band because it rages with a heavy, overdriven sound and covers up some of my sloppiness.

Archived