Gibson Brands Forums

dot on the "i"

hawknroll

So here's a bit of "minutia" obsession - I have 3 Gibsons and just noticed that the dot on the "i" on the headtock logos is in slightly different positions.. on the Standard it's up even with the top of the "b", on my SG, it's a little lower, and on the Classic it's even lower... Why is this? Are the headstock inlays done by hand?

:- Sure, I'll get them packed up and shipped to you tomorrow! heheh

I wonder if there's a "dot" guy at the Gibson factory, and some some days he feels a little high and other days he feels a little low.

Incidentally, the dot on the printed logo (on the website, guitar cases, shirts etc) is lower than it is on any of the headstocks. When inlaying, it must be hard to get down there between the G and the B and wedge that sucker in!

Yes, there actually is a "dot" guy somewhere in there :- that's why I always tell people to buy guitars made on tuesday or wednesday (you can know by the serial number).

Monday: they are pissed off because they wanted to sleep a bit more, they spent sunday at their in-laws, and on th way bak home the kids just wouldnt shut up, they also want to go home early to watch whatever sport they watch, so they will place those dots anywere as long as they stay there.

Thursday: they want to go to a bar, drink some, watch whatever sport they're into.

Friday: they want to get out of there as early as posible so they can start drinking and start the weekend early, there's also last nights hangover.

Sounds like the Dot man needs a vacation.

The Dot Man did get a vacation during the mid to late 60's. There was no dot on the "i" during that period. He took another vacation during the early 70's.

Putting on those dots must be a stressful task, he took vacations that were years long.

The Dot Man did get a vacation during the mid to late 60's. There was no dot on the "i" during that period. He took another vacation during the early 70's.

Putting on those dots must be a stressful task' date=' he took vacations that were years long.[/quote']

'Tis true. If you're lucky you can find a '68 GLbson Les Paul.

It looks like the rest of the "Gibson" inlay is all one piece - so they must just inlay that (however that's done) - and then the Dot Man goes in and sticks the dot in, wherever he pleases (to a degree) - or apparently not at all in the early 70's, he was probably on tour with Grand Funk Railroad or something..heheh..

I can't believe my thread about a dot has even made it this far.. haha. It's just something silly I noticed for the first time the other day.. Also I've noticed the "neatness" of the inlay varies a bit. The 2006 one is more crisp, the 90's ones have tiny bit more "slop"- I suppose that's what they call varitons in "quality control".

By the way, get me the address to dispose of the horrendous counterfeit guitars - right away! I cant stand having them in my sight!!!

and then the Dot Man goes in and sticks the dot in' date=' wherever he pleases (to a degree) - or apparently not at all in the early 70's, he was probably on tour with Grand Funk Railroad or something..heheh.. [/quote']

I think I have it all figured, and due to my hours and hours of exhaustive and meticulous research oh this subject, I've decided to write a book: Where Art Thou, History Of The Gibson Dot.

As it turns out, the Dot Man is not a man at all, it is a Dot Girl. Her name is Dorothy, they call her Dotty for short. Most of us know how women can be, especially during certain times of the month, and this explains the inconsistency of the dot locations.

Dotty is a loving wife, mother and grandmother. When her kids were born, they are now between the ages of 35 and 41, she took time off for matenity leave. She has a new grandbaby coming soon so there may be another period of "no dot" (and no Dotty) coming soon. But don't worry, Dotty loves her job, and will only take a little time off.

I can't believe my thread about a dot has even made it this far.. haha. It's just something silly I noticed for the first time the other day.

Whoever said there was just so much you could talk about guitars before it getting boring and turning to politics and religion :-s

And this is the les paul section, which most folks in the lounge say is boring and with no other topic than "is this a fake?"

Archived