Gibson Brands Forums

Amp, Lp

Andre S

By the end of the year, my Les Paul Studio will have a mix of wiring styles following Jimmy Page's and Slash with the fishman powerbridge. I have been checking out various amps, and I have found the following that I like the best with my Les Paul

Vox ac15

epi vj

peavey windsor

gibson ga40rvt or ga42rvt

marshall haze 40w combo

I have lately been playing more styles including Eric Clapton and more Zeppelin and bluesy stuff and classic rock like that. Which of the amps would best combine with my Les Paul to give me those kind of sounds?

I think the Marshall Haze has a wider range of tones, the Vox AC15 is a great amp but wont give you lots of OD like the Marshall will.

Try as many as you can, then compare the ones you like best.

I would compare the price of the marshall vs that of the vox (as those would be my 2 choices) and then ad whatever it would take to have the vox give me more OD (a stomp box of your liking)

Bought this for my son

Tube power' date=' lots of voices and effects

Big bang for the buck!

http://www.jr.com/ad100vtxl-amplifier/pe/VX_AD100VTXL/

His LP Custom and my 69 LP Professional bring out some amazing tones through this baby.

[/quote']

Not bad for a starter / practice / bedroom amp, but not in the same league as an all tube amp ... certainly not something on the level of the Marshall, Vox AC15, or others listed above in that price range (under a grand that is). One of the worst mistakes I see people make (and really, it confuses the hell out of me) is purchasing a professional level guitar and then turning around and plugging it into the equivalent of a clock radio. Don't cheat yourself by trying to save money on the amp ... you'll only wind up cheating yourself, your guitar, your tone, your audience, and ultimately your interest in the long run.

If you are looking for the "bluesy" sound like Clapton, etc., then you want an amp that you can push to the edge of breakup on the clean channel. Are you going to be playing in your bedroom, studio, club? If you are playing primarily in your bedroom, the Valve Jr. or the Vox AC15 might be better choices, even they will be very loud when cranked to breakup. I've never played a Peavey Windsor before, but that amp is higher than 15 watts isn't it? The Gibson amps sound awesome when they are pushed...The Marshall is 40W it will be hard to get the tubes singing with that one, unless you are someplace where you can stand the volume of noise that 40 watts creates. But that being said, the Marshall has a dirty channel as well as clean and in the demos it sounds good.

Have you played through any of the Fender tube amps, like the Blues Jr., Deluxe Reverb or Princeton? These lower powered Fenders are made for blues. IMHO

Also, have you looked at the Mesa 5:25 and 5:50? These two amps are power switchable from 5w to 25w or 50w. The Mesas are made in the US and they are built to last. They sound pretty freakin good to...I'm a little biased as I'm a Mesa owner myself.

Good luck!

Crossroadsnyc wrote:

One of the worst mistakes I see people make (and really, it confuses the hell out of me) is purchasing a professional level guitar and then turning around and plugging it into the equivalent of a clock radio. Don't cheat yourself by trying to save money on the amp ... you'll only wind up cheating yourself, your guitar, your tone, your audience, and ultimately your interest in the long run.

Ditto! Well put.

Play On!

If you are looking for the "bluesy" sound like Clapton, etc., then you want an amp that you can push to the edge of breakup on the clean channel. Are you going to be playing in your bedroom, studio, club? If you are playing primarily in your bedroom, the Valve Jr. or the Vox AC15 might be better choices, even they will be very loud when cranked to breakup. I've never played a Peavey Windsor before, but that amp is higher than 15 watts isn't it? The Gibson amps sound awesome when they are pushed...The Marshall is 40W it will be hard to get the tubes singing with that one, unless you are someplace where you can stand the volume of noise that 40 watts creates. But that being said, the Marshall has a dirty channel as well as clean and in the demos it sounds good.

I think at this point mainly bedroom and if a new band works out, it should, then clubs too i guess. The amp has to sound good for Led Zep, Guns n roses, Vr and like clapton and bb king etc.

The Marshall is a litlle high priced to me but thats expected, I saw the Fender's blues, but I thought if those were so much then I might as well get a Marshall.

The peavey windsor is in 2 versions, studio in a 20watt and halfstack 100w

Archived