Gibson Brands Forums

Ban members or KILL threads?

NeoConMan

I have this crazy idea about the most effective way to "police" a forum no matter what your personal opinion.

Instead of somebody somewhere getting all bent out of shape about something somebody posted about something that is improper, impolite, immature, inflammatory, insulting or just plain stupid and then trying to decide who said what about who and were they serious and did they mean it and was there malice in their intent and is there a double/hidden meaning in their words or something that somebody simply doesn't understand or is there a personal vendetta among forum users or even the Mod Squad as my experience has shown repeatedly - how about this?

If a thread is improper, kill it.

Lock it if you want, and leave it on the forum board to serve as a visual reminder of the accepted boundaries.

Or simply kill it, make it disappear without a trace, and send the author a PM clearly stating why.

Keep it private.

Keep it professional.

- OR -

Just start randomly banning people and letting speculation run rampant.

As a veteran of many forums across many ideological leanings (compare gun forums to guitars - you'll see) I can tell you which is the better course. I have years of experience and dozens of bans to show for it to form my opinion.

For all I know I could be banned here (again) tomorrow, my life will go on.

What opinions would veteran forum members share?

Note to forum Mod Squad;

The opinions expressed in this thread are simply that, you are in no way obligated to listen to, or act in, their regard.

That's a tough one brother. I guess that I have to come down on the side of whatever the owner of the forum decides...I don't pay for any of it, it's the private property of Gibson. If they want to let me participate, or not, that's really up to them. I can only hope that the rules are published and available for perusal, and that the moderators are fair and use as much objective criteria as possible when deciding what to do.

I have dealt with Shadow before and he seems to be a fair, honorable and well intentioned guy.

Every person here ought to have the good sense to censor themselves, to comport with what is considered civil public discourse. There are some things that you don't talk about in public, or that you at least talk about respectfully. We are still at liberty to discuss almost anything we want to on the forum, we just have to be smart, civil and use a little common sense.

In the end, this is just a forum, life SHOULD go on with or without it...Just sayin'

I think, really, if you call someone a cigarette, you should be banned for a year.

If you disagree with Homz, you should get a "Get Out Of Jail Free Card."

If Homz is banned, and you dissed him, your banishment should be less than 1 (one) day, unless it was a hate crime and had something to do with Nancy Pelosi.

If you mentioned the word "FENDER" in your post, it should be a lifetime ban.

Well, maybe not "Lifetime"......

I think "The Lounge" is a stupid idea........

I come in and play, but it's "STUPID" for Gibson to let it go on.........

Just sayin'.......

I voted for "kill thread and delete them", although I'm not sure all such threads need to be deleted -- maybe lock them.

I really am against banning folks for their opinions unless they threaten someone or their family or, otherwise, seriously abuse the forum.

Most of the threads that are an issue regard politics. I like discussion, even arguing about, politics. I also think politics and guitars/music are linked inextricably. The titles to the threads are usually specific enough where one can just not read it if they don't like politics.

I can sort of understand the owners position. But to me, anything that smacks of censorship -- by government, corporations or private individuals -- sucks (it may be legal, but it still sucks). I'd like to see "Gibson" follow the lead of Woody Guthrie and other musicians -- even the ole right wing Rush Limbaugh of music, T Nugent -- and allow posters to speak out.

For about a year Gibson has allowed the type of behavior that the mods are now banning people for. They should have at least given Neo and Homz a warning. Seems strange to ban people the day you change the rules

Nip it in the bud.

In turn the offenders will get tired. Of course then they would try to "weave" their BS in a legit thread.

There are some serious losers out there that may not even own a guitar and practically live in this forum.

Well, beyond the stated and accepted rules of the forum, that are already in place,

and should be followed and inforced, I see no reason to "censor" beyond that.

Don't like it, don't read it, and...Don't contribute to it! Threads that are so treated,

die on their own, anyway. If they don't, it's because some folks want them to live on,

regardless.

Anyway...that's just my 2-cents.

CB

My choice isnt on your list. My choice is....IF YOU ARE SO EASILY OFFENDED THAT YOU FEEL THE NEED TO WHINE AND COMPLAIN TO SOMEONE THAT SOME BIG BAD BULLY MAY HAVE HURT YOUR FEELINGS, YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE. GO AHEAD AND MOVE TO ANTARCTICA, MAYBE YOU CAN START A POLITICALLY CORRECT SOCIETY WHERE NO ONE'S FEELINGS ARE EVER HURT AND EVERYONE HOLDS HANDS AND SINGS "MICHAEL ROW YOUR BOAT ASHORE".

I choose to challenge myself and my views and values by making sure i understand as much of the other point of view as possible. That way I am not living dogmatically or ignorantly, but am able to judge issues and points of view in an informed manner.

Seriously. Don't fugging read a post if you think you may be offended. I have no idea how some people can go through their life always wanting and waiting for someone to hold their hand and tell them it will all be ok.

I'd say kill it and delete it. I think maybe warning or 3 strikes and you're out type of thing too.

PS. Hey Bluemoon' date=' nice Frank Zappa quote. -From 'Cosmik Debris' right?[/quote']

Hey, you are the first person to figure it out...it is from the song "Camarillo Brillo"

My choice isnt on your list. My choice is....IF YOU ARE SO EASILY OFFENDED THAT YOU FEEL THE NEED TO WHINE AND COMPLAIN TO SOMEONE THAT SOME BIG BAD BULLY MAY HAVE HURT YOUR FEELINGS' date=' YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE. GO AHEAD AND MOVE TO ANTARCTICA, MAYBE YOU CAN START A POLITICALLY CORRECT SOCIETY WHERE NO ONE'S FEELINGS ARE EVER HURT AND EVERYONE HOLDS HANDS AND SINGS "MICHAEL ROW YOUR BOAT ASHORE".

I choose to challenge myself and my views and values by making sure i understand as much of the other point of view as possible. That way I am not living dogmatically or ignorantly, but am able to judge issues and points of view in an informed manner.

Seriously. Don't fugging read a post if you think you may be offended. I have no idea how some people can go through their life always wanting and waiting for someone to hold their hand and tell them it will all be ok. [/quote']

Wow....

That sounds like Homz......

Weird.........

Just sayin'......

Murph.

I think before someone gets banned the moderators need to warn them.

But I agree that if you don't like the content, don't respond. I don't respond to every thread here and there are some I just won't respond to at all unless I have something to prove.

I won't tolerate some and I will stand up for what I believe in.

Period. That's it, end of discussion.

Archived