Gibson Brands Forums

Who's modded their LPs?

b-squared

I love the Custom Shop models. Completely. :-k/

I have a 2004 R9, and a 2003 Braz R7. Wonderful instruments, definitely top of the heap.

I found, however, that the electronics just didn't work that well; the volume controls cut off around '2' with little or no taper, and the Tone knob had little effect. Through a friend I was referred to RS Guitarworks in Lexington, KY.

I got a couple of their vintage kits with Luxe BB caps, and went to work. The difference was pretty remarkable; like a blanket was removed from the front of my amp. :-k The higher rating of the 'Superpots' (about 560K) brightened up the guitar, and it's got a really nice taper; it rolls off the guitar very smoothly. The caps and tone pots (CTS 500K) really worked well, and warmed up the tone overall.

I later replaced pickups (still have the Burstbuckers in a box), but that's another story.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Here's some of my babies:

Family.jpg

BB

Ya' date=' she's sweet...1976 LP Custom. Got her around 1984 in Blytheville, Arkansas.

Here's me gigging with it back in the day (around '87 or so. Notice the covers are off. I think we were playing 'Barracuda', by Heart...LOL)

[img']http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/1956Strat/Gig%20Pics/OntheRoxx.jpg[/img]

BB

if you ever feel like giving it away for free I'll pay shipping to my house. you will become saint b-squared.

"b-squared" where have I seen that name before?:D

Nice pics man' date=' do you have any close ups on that telecaster?[/quote']

Yep, you've seen that name before...:-$

Here's one with the tele...it's a Nash '52, but I never really bonded with it and sold it. I'd like to get a custom build by Roman Rist though...he has a couple of Spruce planks he's going to make Teles out of...that'd be cool. :-

Guitarsoncouch_smaller.jpg

Sweet guitars!

I love the Custom Shop models. Completely. =D>/

Couldn't of said it better' date=' myself. :-/

My mods...

'07 Custom - Wolfetone Marshallheads, Luxe Grey Tigers, CTS pots.

'07 R9 - Luxe Bees.

'08 R8 - Wolfetone Dr. V pickups, Luxe Bees, CTS pots.

That's about it. All my LPs have Shaller's but that's not really a mod, though - more of a security measure.

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/IMG_0876.jpg[/img]

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

I have upgraded with Luxe Bumblebee caps and CTS 500K audio pots from RS along with 50's wiring. I tried the SuperPots from RS but I like the regular CTS audio taper better. Just me. But yep the Luxe Bees really thickened up the midrange on the guitar which is what I was looking for. Plus, now the pots actually work and are not on/off types.

Forgot to mention:

Bone Nut

TonePros AVR-II bridge w/Brown's GuitarFactor conversion posts

50's wiring

Gotoh LW TP

Gold Reflector knobs

Recently bought Calaham Nashville conversion posts and going to try those out at next string change.

My Trad is my work-in-progress. So far' date=' she has CTS 500 k pots (Tones are push-pull) for coil tapping the Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz combo, and replaced the tuners to Grover lockers. I'm going to replace the the bridge and tailstop to Tonepro lockers as well. [/quote']

How do you like the JB+Jazz? I want to swap my 490/498 for them.

My '78 has gone thru various changes over the past 30 years.

Currently she has:

Tone Pro bridge/tail piece

solid covers over the pups

DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Hot in the bridge

DiMarzio Air Classic in the neck

Sprague Orange drops

22uF in the bridge

47uF in the neck

Or is it the other way around??? I keep forgetting

Volumes are push/pull to split the coils

Tones are push/pull - one for in/out of phase the other for series/parallel of the two pups

Basically the Jimmy Page wiring

Overall I've had these changes in for about 6 months now and I'm not sure I'm liking it. It sounds too muddy and I want to brighten her up a little. The pots were from Stew-Mac so I'm not sure what brand they are. They are 500k pots though.

Really tried to leave well enough alone with my new Trad', but she's got a new bone nut and some lacquer touchup on the sides of the new nut, lightweight aluminum tailpiece, 50's wiring but kept the original pots, swapped the .022 for a .01 cap on the neck pickup tone control, filed and polished the bevel on the inside of the pickguard where the back of my pinkey hits it, shaved the backplate so it isn't quite so tight in the recess, new saddles with proportionally spaced notches, setscrews under the tailpiece studs (because you can't crank the TP all the way down with a Nashville bridge), drilled and tapped the bridge and tailpiece for tiny little setscrews to lock them to the posts. I almost don't even need to mention the strap locks.

IMG_3856.jpg

I used NeoConMan's method on the larger screw in the tail strap button:

IMG_3157.jpg

Great pic Bob!!!

Nicely illustrates the parts needed to do it right.

Thanks a million.

2000 Les Paul Classic Plus

3377544227_39b6258645.jpg

First things first - Schaller strap locks - on everything I own.

Replaced the horrid ceramic pickups with BurstBucker Pros. (Shoulda gone with 57 Classics...)

Did a capacitor mod on the tone pot for more taper.

Replaced the fake 'vintage' plastic tipped tuners with Grover Rotomatics.

Thought about independent wiring on every Les Paul I ever owned, just haven't done it yet.

Some day I'll put the 57's in this one and do the whole wiring mod with good parts.

2007 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop

Guitar Of The Week #8

3537069493_c60dd7ea07.jpg

Schaller strap locks.

Some guy named Ted used a black Sharpie to adorn my guitar with his signature and a primal man with a spear.

2007 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop

Guitar Of The Week #8

3537069493_c60dd7ea07.jpg

Schaller strap locks.

Some guy named Ted used a black Sharpie to adorn my guitar with his signature and a primal man with a spear.

I've got one better (and I will post pics as soon as I can)! A couple of years ago (when I lived in my old apartment), I received a knock on my door from the guy across the hall, when I opened the door he said "I heard that you play the guitar", and I said "yeah?". He then handed me THE SH!TT!EST looking gig bag (w/a guitar), and said "well? here ya go." and then walked away. When I opened the gig bag, I was suprised to see that it was an Alvarez Dana 2, that the previous owner (before the neighbor) had totally ruined the body (front and back), and HS with a Sharpie. Needless to say that the body will have to be COMPLETELY stripped/refinished.

I will post pics (after re-finishing/modding) if I ever get around to it.

Archived