Gibson Brands Forums

Fret level & polish, big difference?

ItsForrest

I picked up a new LP Studio last weekend at the holiday sale from that big chain store we all love so much.

I played a bunch of guitars including 6 different Studios and this one felt the best to me. I think I spent about two hours there on this visit and played a ton of guitars including Fenders, PRSs, Ibanez, the whole gamut. I staked out an amp so that it was a fair comparo and when I grabbed the LP it immediately felt different from all the rest. Seriously, I plugged it in, tuned it up and it just sang to me. So from there I played every LP Studio they had in the store and even had the sales guy bring out a couple guitars in back stock. It was nice to play a few guitars that hadn't been out on the floor yet getting the strings tarnishing with other people's sticky hands. Some of the guitars out on the floor there are really sticky and gross.

I ended up with a faded cherry finish out of back stock that hadn't been put out on the floor. The finish on the neck feels a bit different but it breaks in nicely after a few days of playing.

Anyway to make a short story long...

Overall it's pretty nicely set up for straight out of the box. Action and intonation are fine. The nut could use some careful adjustment but it's not horrible.

So, how much of a difference does or can a pro fret level and polish make to a new guitar?

How many of you have this done on new guitars?

How much should one expect to pay for this type of set up.

I paid 200, but it included a full setup which runs 100 and is recomended after a fret dressing.

It really depends on where you live, bench rates are very high where I live, but if I where to have the same thing done back in Fla.. it would have been significantly less.

I paid 200' date=' but it included a full setup which runs 100 and is recomended after a fret dressing.

It really depends on where you live, bench rates are very high where I live, but if I where to have the same thing done back in Fla.. it would have been significantly less.

[/quote']

The part about where you live is a big part of how much it cost. Around here a basic set up is 15 bucks and a full set up is 30 bucks. a fret level is 75 bucks. But when I was in Nashville a set up was 90 bucks and In Hollywood a set would run you over 100.

Archived