Gibson Brands Forums

The "New" Zoot Suit SG

jimmiJAMM

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's wonderful. As for playing it early' date=' let's just say I've got connections. Been playing guitar over 30 years.

On a lighter, unrelated note, Wall-E is an awesome flick! Although that roach pal of his creeped me out a bit.[/quote']

I love animation and Wall-E was amazing. My kids are starting to get to old and don't like to go to the movies anymore to watch 'cartoons' {sigh}

Connectins eh? Good to know ;-)

I love animation and Wall-E was amazing. My kids are starting to get to old and don't like to go to the movies anymore to watch 'cartoons' {sigh}

Same problem here .. the kids now think that animated movies aren't cool anymore (That movie is for kids !).

I'm gonna try to go see "9" this week-end , it looks like a typical Tim Burton film , just a bit on the creepy side.

There's nothing wrong with the Zoot Suit that a can of Krylon couldn't fix. (...just my opinion' date=' of course.)[/quote']

Ha......hey it would be funny (for someone else) to get one that had been painted and go to refinish it and

have the one with all the colored layered wood be revealed

I'm gonna try to go see "9" this week-end ' date=' it looks like a typical Tim Burton film , just a bit on the creepy side.[/quote']

That looks really cool. Just got around to seeing Corpse Bride the other night. Great jazz score in the land of the dead. Reminded me of a few places I've hung out. :-({|= Tim's been the King of Creepy for quite a while now. Him and Depp make such great collaborations. Looking forward to Alice in Wonderland but anyway... back to SG's

Greatest guitars out there! :-

I guess I'll be the first to admit that I bought this guitar. I understand why people don't like this guitar, but seriously.....don't you get tired of having an SG that looks and sounds like everyone else's? What do you have? Brown? Maroon? Wait....black? Or no, wait......brown AND black? My only complaint is that I spent over $1000 on a guitar and it doesn't come with a hardshell case, but whatever....I'd rather buy one that doesn't announce to everyone that I'm carrying a Gibson. So yes, keep complaining about this guitar and don't buy it. I'm interested to see how much they'll go for on Ebay in 10 years. :D/ Not like I'll sell it, but anyway..... Now for the negative feedback. ](*,) Bring it.

I guess I'll be the first to admit that I bought this guitar. I understand why people don't like this guitar' date=' but seriously.....don't you get tired of having an SG that looks and sounds like everyone else's? What do you have? Brown? Maroon? Wait....black? Or no, wait......brown AND black? My only complaint is that I spent over $1000 on a guitar and it doesn't come with a hardshell case, but whatever....I'd rather buy one that doesn't announce to everyone that I'm carrying a Gibson. So yes, keep complaining about this guitar and don't buy it. I'm interested to see how much they'll go for on Ebay in 10 years. :D/ Not like I'll sell it, but anyway..... Now for the negative feedback. ](*,) Bring it. [/quote']

You're definitely the first one around here to OWN one. Congrats!

Sounds like you bought a very unique guitar that you love. That's really what it's all about. Too bad it didn't come with a case but you can always pick one up on the cheep. You make an excellent point about it not looking like everyone else's... except Ronald's. :D jk. Seriously man, everyone's debating these things and you went out and bought yourself one. That takes balls, initiative and a fair chunk-o-change. Why be a follower when you can lead the pack. Enjoy it, man after all... at the end of the day it's STILL a Gibson SG! One of the finest instrument's on God's green (or multi-colored) Earth. How does it feel in your hands? How's the sound? Inquiring minds want to know. Feel free to elaborate adnausiam.

What, you were expecting to get bashed?

P.S. Post some pics when ya getachance. Thx!

You're definitely the first one around here to OWN one. Congrats!

Sounds like you bought a very unique guitar that you love. That's really what it's all about. Too bad it didn't come with a case but you can always pick one up on the cheep. You make an excellent point about it not looking like everyone else's... except Ronald's. ](* jk. Seriously man, everyone's debating these things and you went out and bought yourself one. That takes balls, initiative and a fair chunk-o-change. Why be a follower when you can lead the pack. Enjoy it, man after all... at the end of the day it's STILL a Gibson SG! One of the finest instrument's on God's green (or multi-colored) Earth. How does it feel in your hands? How's the sound? Inquiring minds want to know. Feel free to elaborate adnausiam.

What, you were expecting to get bashed?

P.S. Post some pics when ya getachance. Thx!

[/quote']

Wow....thanks! Not the reaction I was expecting at all. I was definitely ready for a good bashing, I'm sure it's going to come sooner or later. But yeah, I love it. Everything about it is great. I'll try to post some pics and explain more later. I'm off to work. Time to catch up on bills since I decided to splurge. Thanks for the positive feedback. Much appreciated.

As for these becoming "collector's Items", that's an assumption. Speaking of Jay Leno, he writes for Popular Mechanics and he was saying in an article that when it comes to cars, they won't all be highly sought after by collectors. It depends on a few factors. He said when the Dodge Viper first came out, lots of guys bought one and stored them thinking they'd make a mint but there were so many made and so many stored, they aint worth much more than they paid for them. On the other hand he said something like the first Prius could catch quite a penny someday because it was the first of it's kind.

I'd like to know just how many of these suits Gibson is manufacturing and how long they plan on making 'em. If everyone buys one and throws it in the closet hoping to make a huge profit someday, they could be fooling themselves. To buy one 'cause you love it and wanna play the hell out of it is another thing completely. In my opinion, that's what it's really all about.

Congrats on the new ax and pics please!

Impressions? You own more guitars? How does this one capare?

Thank you! I'll take some tonight and try to post them either later tonight or tomorrow. It's actually my first Gibson to own, but I've played many. I've never had the money to buy one, but I had to find a way and I couldn't be happier. I usually play Danelectro and Jerry Jones, so this is a change for me. So far it's great. If I had a way to get some quality sound clips on here I would try to post them, but unfortunately I don't think that'll happen. I can get some pics up, though. It's hard to compare it to my other guitars because they're nothing alike. I have an Alembic that looks exactly like a Les Paul, but it's not in working order at the moment so yeah..... It's well balanced and has a nice weight. The neck doesn't dive bomb like others do. It plays like a Gibson and feels like a Gibson. Not as great as others, but it's a Gibson. Can't go wrong there. Well....for the most part. We all have our likes and dislikes.

I guess I'll be the first to admit that I bought this guitar. I understand why people don't like this guitar' date=' but seriously.....don't you get tired of having an SG that looks and sounds like everyone else's? What do you have? Brown? Maroon? Wait....black? Or no, wait......brown AND black? My only complaint is that I spent over $1000 on a guitar and it doesn't come with a hardshell case, but whatever....I'd rather buy one that doesn't announce to everyone that I'm carrying a Gibson. So yes, keep complaining about this guitar and don't buy it. I'm interested to see how much they'll go for on Ebay in 10 years. :-k/ Not like I'll sell it, but anyway..... Now for the negative feedback. :-s Bring it. [/quote']

Well done! I'm hoping that they'll be so unpopular that I'll be able to pick one up at a huge discount in several months. Did you go with the rainbow?

I think it's pretty crappy that they don't come with a hard case. I also wish they had trapezoidal fret markers (even DOTS would be fine!). And I'm not crazy about the headstock. Otherwise I think it'd be fun to play some trash on a rainbow guitar!

(And what happened to my account? I just had to re-register.)

As for these becoming "collector's Items"' date=' that's an assumption. Speaking of Jay Leno, he writes for Popular Mechanics and he was saying in an article that when it comes to cars, they won't all be highly sought after by collectors. It depends on a few factors. He said when the Dodge Viper first came out, lots of guys bought one and stored them thinking they'd make a mint but there were so many made and so many stored, they aint worth much more than they paid for them. On the other hand he said something like the first Prius could catch quite a penny someday because it was the first of it's kind.

I'd like to know just how many of these suits Gibson is manufacturing and how long they plan on making 'em. If everyone buys one and throws it in the closet hoping to make a huge profit someday, they could be fooling themselves. To buy one 'cause you love it and wanna play the hell out of it is another thing completely. In my opinion, that's what it's really all about.

[/quote']

Agreed. I asked Gibson's customer service how many they planned on making and they couldn't give me an answer. I've played the hell out of mine, but I've definitely been babying it a little. I need to figure out how to take care of it. It doesn't seem like I should use the same polish that you would use on a normal finish. Maybe I should start buying 2 of everything from now on so I can have one to shred on and one to see how much it's worth in 50 years. :-s

Well done! I'm hoping that they'll be so unpopular that I'll be able to pick one up at a huge discount in several months. Did you go with the rainbow?

I think it's pretty crappy that they don't come with a hard case. I also wish they had trapezoidal fret markers (even DOTS would be fine!). And I'm not crazy about the headstock. Otherwise I think it'd be fun to play some trash on a rainbow guitar!

(And what happened to my account? I just had to re-register.)

Ha! Maybe you will. Good luck. I think it already is that unpopular, but it seems that every time our Guitar Center gets one it's out the door in the same day. I did get the rainbow one. I had to to special order it. I think most of the one's they've gotten at my GC are the red and black ones. I agree about the fret inlays. It does have dot inlays on the side, but I would much rather have the trapezoids on the front. Count me out on the dots. They just look cheap on any guitar.

This dude seems to love his! And dig that chin' date=' man. Is that Jay Leno Jr.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYPinuT87ZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO7nULW0odM[/quote']

HAHA!! It is a very nice chin. Maybe not as good as Michael Jackson's Bruce Wayne chin that he died with, but almost.

It's too bad neither of those videos do the guitar justice. I can't believe those are the only 2 videos about the zoot suit on the net. Strange... Why buy a $1000+ guitar without the skill to play it? I'm not Jeff Beck or anything, but Jesus...

Only 2 Zoot Suit videos on YouTube is weird considering folks post vids from all over the world.

Guess you're in a very exclusive club. Put up a video of your own... and OWN!

I could do the video, but there wouldn't be quality sound. I don't have an audio interface. So I'll just let them have their spotlight. I will however post some pictures after I get home from work. After seeing some of those Zoot Suits on Sweetwater.com I started to get seriously worried about what I had just ordered. I will agree that those are possibly the worst things I've ever seen. Pretty much all of them, but the rainbows mostly. I haven't checked it out in the last couple weeks, but it was bad. O:)

• 7 months later...

I've read lots and lots of posts about the zoot suit sg and there's one thing that is SOREly lacking in all the posts. How does the guitar sound? I ordered one. <deleted a bunch of stuff about how I couldn't get the tone I wanted....read below>

Ammendment to post....

Shoulda known 30 minutes was not enough... These pickups are hot hot hot. I finally found that rolling off both the volume and tone knobs gave me the sound I want. The pickups are still a tad darker than I like cleaned up but man are they powerful. Okay, I was swearing the guitar off and now that I figured out how to get a good clean tone (could be my amp) I'm kinda stoked. The guitar is solid as a rock and looks really, really great (I got the black and natural). People who are giving this guitar crap for the construction methods used can not have spent any real time with one.

Addendum...the "next day":

Adding more to this...after another evening with the guitar. Well, I was playing around with mine and finally realized that whoever set the guitar up had the bridge pickup setup where it was almost touching the strings on the low e side. I lowered the pickup about 1/8 of an inch, maybe a little more on the low e side and raised it just a hair on the high e side and now it sounds better to me and when I roll off the volume I get more of a clean tone I can live with. Thing is, I just don't think you can expect the 500t to give you shimmery highs. It's very strong in the mid range to low end. All that being said, when you do turn it full up it's a monster.

I'd like to add again that really fine electrics should have a good acoustic tone and say what you will about the construction process this guitar has a nice full bright sound unplugged. I will reiterate that people who are saying it's a piece of crap because it's laminated birch either don't know what they're talking about, don't know what they're suppose to listen for, haven't ever played one of these, or all of the above.

Archived