Gibson Brands Forums

Could the continuous use of a guitar stand damage my Les paul?

Anirog

ANYTHING made of petroleum is a risk.

Harder, less porous plastics usually fare best.

Anything porous (open-cell foam) is asking for trouble.

Tolex is probably better than most, but...

For me it's 100% white cotton - no dyes to complicate matters.

I won't consider anything else.

Hell, just a few years ago I saw a new SG Custom reissue in white arrive at my dealer.

When they opened the box they found it was wrapped in paper, then placed in the case...

They said that was not uncommon, nitro was reacting with the interior of the case from shipping to the store.

Just a matter of a week or two and the white guitars were getting returned to Gibson for stains in the finish.

When I bought my first les paul back in the day, the back of the neck/headstock had had a strange reaction to the stand it had been on, and it looked like some sort of growth. I got $100 taken off the price. Ever since then I haven't trusted any sort of rubber or synthetic bullsh#!, I just keep it in the case or laying on my bed or table. Another great reason that was mentioned already is the Les Paul's tendency to break where the angled headstock meets the neck. I would say case it up, but I don't have a snazzy stand like Laney!

I'd have to say Laney's stand is the most kick a$$ stand I've ever seen!! Aside of the obvious effects of rubber on nitro finishes, I'll have to add in along with the others about the neck damage dangers of continuous stand use.

I used to always leave my Standard on the stand and really didn't see any harm of it untill that fateful night that forever changed my habits of stand use.

I had a little get together at my house back when I was..... I guess around 21-22 yrs old. I kept my amp and guitars in my bedroom with the door shut, so I never really worried about my stuff. After everyone left I went back to my room to go to bed and that's when I saw my LP Standard lying face down in the floor with the stand on top of it. Upon further inspection I saw the dreaded neck break on the back of the neck at the headstock. I didn't almost cry..... I did.... and then got mad as a Mu.....F.....!! Apparently someone snooped in there when they went to the bathroom, nocked it over, then acted all innocent. I interrogated everyone that was there but noone would own up to it.

I carried it to one of the best luthiers in town to fix it. He kept it for several months. When I got it back, you couldn't tell where it had broke!! A week or so later I was playing and all of a sudden "bwaaannnnnggg" It broke back again and glue never would hold again. I guess I needed to send it to Gibson but years later someone helped themselves to it (another horror story I won't get in to)

LIVE AND LEARN....... and now if it's not in my hands....It's in the case!!

Shameful Dan.

Here's the problem;

People come to this forum or ask those in the know for specific advice - and ignore it.

Why do these lessons have to be learned again and again and again...................................?????????

Alright kiddies, read Dan's post again - real slow...

Thanks for sharing buddy!

Said Family member if I'm not mistaken is gonna get to about 80+ lbs and eat a bag of Food a week (plus other goodies). Make enormous meadow muffins..Dig holes in the yard burrying anything and everything). Constantly nag you play fetch (or Keep away depending on his mood). Consider himself to be your most important child. Want to be inside alot and you'll love every minute of it!!!

I have 2 babysitters that do an admiral job at showing Shawnee the ropes. Meg

my yellow Lab and Apache my German short. I have had a long 5 months since

March due to a Lab I had to put down due to Kidney Disease. Saddest thing I have

had to deal with watching a good friend slowly die from disease I'll miss her. There

seems to some disagreement going on here.

IMG_0262.jpg

CW

• 3 months later...

noob to these forums here... just purchased an Alpine White/chrome LP Studio, and the dealer warned me about the guitar stand issue. He also said that Gibson would not cover any damage to the lacquer as a result of leaving it on a stand for an exxtended period.

back to the guitar: what an awesome tone monster it is!

I use one of the Road Runner Flight Case stands. It's nice when you have to take it somewhere, it has little leatherette straps that hold the guitar neck into the slot, and they hold 3 or 5 electric guitars (depends on the model you buy). Laney's photobucket picture doesn't seem to work for me, so maybe its the same one I'm talking about, because mine won't fit my friend's explorer either.

I've never used stands, even when playing gigs, cases were always the storage area for my guitars........ until recently when I pulled my white LPC from storage and noticed the blue case lining dye had etched itself all over the guitar[crying] ...... Had to have the guitar completly re-buffed

Certainly my fault for leaving a guitar in storage for over 19 years, and I'm wondering what my brothers EDS-1275 looks like when I dig it out of the garage of my parent house. That guitar case hasn't been opened since 1980[blink]

I've wrapped the parts of my stands that touch the guitar with cotton.

I've wrapped the parts of my stands that touch the guitar with condoms [biggrin]

I actually use hercules micro stands or those multiple stands that fold-unfold into cases only and for short periods of time (rehearsals, gigs, when I'm moding or settin' up) ... all my guitars regadless of finish spend most of their lifes in their cases.

• 3 years later...

Hanging by the headstock?

Doesn't hurt 'em a bit, no way it could.

Now, falling from the hanger is another issue - always worried me though it never happened....

I did it for awhile, even went so far as to buy stainless screws for mounting the hangers.

Too much dust, too much exposure.

That's why after all these years the wife finally persuaded me to do this;

2428353969_97366848f5.jpg

3374000155_1c52f043ea.jpg

Actually saved alot of room too, so I got two of 'em.

Note cotton cover over stand for nitro-finished guitars.

It looks like you have like a few guitars that are exactly the same can i ask why ? Lol different string gauges , tuning , pick ups or something or are they infact different and just look really similar . Im just curious

Im a one guitar guy me and my guitar are inseparable haha

Archived